Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Booze

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is everyone (myself included hence the recent deserved warning ) fit to kill someone, so it just comes across here as snapping at someone else, cos we are all mad (and entitled to be so) at the situations we find ourselves in?

Let's get langers on cheap beer and batter eachother

Boards Brawl ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

ye all missed the boat.

In November Joyces had deals on for 1 LITRE of smirnoff, bacardie and gin for 19.50 and 20 Euro. Thats the ONE LITRE bottles. that deal for the 70cl bottles at 16 euro sounds like a right rip off compared to it. :D

70cl Smirnoff at 16 euro = €2.28 per 100mls
    Though actually, it's in Dunnes now for €15 = €2.14 per 100mls
    Suppose it is a bit better. Hmm.

Anyways, Dunnes has great offers on drink at the mo. Captain Morgans is now €17, down from €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

There was great savings to be made a few years ago when the euro was very strong. But now the saving are minimal if atall, apart from special offers which you cannot count on. For instance a bottle of captain Morgan for 18 euro is less than in the north. In general there is only a few euro in the difference now between prices in the north and here.

Dont get me wrong I was all for going up north when you were buying things at half price but now its not worth going specially to shop for drink as you would spend more in petrol than you would save.

Obviously if you are going anyway/are visiting the UK thats a different story. The continent is where the real saving are made. I got a bottle of Jager for 10euro from a friend who was in Germany, they are 25 euro here.

sorry but the north is still WAY cheaper than here on everything, booze, clothes, household, white goods and furniture - it pays to shop up there for any thing of significant value or bulk. Down here sadly, is still a rip off. Okay if your are only buying one bottle of booze then I suggest you buy it here, but if you want to get larger items for the home then head up there -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Let's get langers on cheap beer and batter eachother

Boards Brawl ftw
    cheap beer from the north obviously

sorry but the north is still WAY cheaper than here on everything, booze, clothes, household, white goods and furniture - it pays to shop up there for any thing of significant value or bulk. Down here sadly, is still a rip off. Okay if your are only buying one bottle of booze then I suggest you buy it here, but if you want to get larger items for the home then head up there -

Online is better again though for anything that can be got online. For instance I cant remember the last time I bought electrical stuff in a shop, everything is from amazon etc.

Yes clothes are cheaper in fairness and I cant comment on furniture as I have never bought any.

Where are you getting these way cheaper prices on drink (Ive been to Liverpool and London recently)? I can only see a few euro in the difference. Captain morgan is cheaper here with the offers (except the 2 for £22 airport offer), hennessy is a few euro more here same for vodka etc. Maybe if your buying in large amounts but tbh I do most of my drinking in pubs so for me anyway Id never buy enough at those prices to make a trip to NI (for the purpose of drink alone) worth while.

As I said before its worth buying stuff if you are visiting for other reasons just not going solely to buy drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Online is better again though for anything that can be got online. For instance I cant remember the last time I bought electrical stuff in a shop, everything is from amazon etc.

Yes clothes are cheaper in fairness and I cant comment on furniture as I have never bought any.

Where are you getting these way cheaper prices on drink (Ive been to Liverpool and London recently)? I can only see a few euro in the difference. Captain morgan is cheaper here with the offers (except the 2 for £22 airport offer), hennessy is a few euro more here same for vodka etc. Maybe if your buying in large amounts but tbh I do most of my drinking in pubs so for me anyway Id never buy enough at those prices to make a trip to NI (for the purpose of drink alone) worth while.

As I said before its worth buying stuff if you are visiting for other reasons just not going solely to buy drink.

nox,

they had to reduce their prices here because everyone was heading north at Christmas to get their booze . We should learn from that and start heading north for everything. If people are having parties and need lots of stuff its great. Also for house furniture, appliances you literaly can get hundreds of euros in the difference.

nox,

they had to reduce their prices here because everyone was heading north at Christmas to get their booze .

I agree but due to prices dropping (somewhat) here and the weaker euro the difference is much much smaller now especially on drink. Online is still cheaper and much handier option for most other things, though I'm not disputing that you will save money by going north just not as much as buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Sorry for the back seat modding but can we try and keep this on-topic please? Most useful thread in a while is getting ruined over petty arguments...! Anyways, anyone know where (in galway!) yeh might be able to get a bottle of Goldschlager on the cheap? Best price I can find is 30 for a bottle.

THFC wrote: »
    Sorry for the back seat modding but can we try and keep this on-topic please? Most useful thread in a while is getting ruined over petty arguments...!
    People are discussing the consumer value of drink in Ireland, it's not a petty argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

In my opinion Joyces Supermarkets seem to have all round, best value. Look at some of these offers , Few days ago i got 1ltr of Smirnoff Vodka for €18.99 :eek:. Going to be fun x-mas

51d22cc8689247899.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

344f5f6e42134ea0a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

I agree about Joyce's, they do seem to be best value for these "deals". Dunnes prices fluctuate too much, their 'special offers' can be really good one day, then mediocre the nexy and frankly rubbish value another, all for the same crate/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Cute that you look out for your "Forum Friends", but calm down dear!

I have no affiliation with Drake, so I was not looking out for him, I was simply telling you that you are being a prick, and I could have probably used any post you've made recently to prove that point.

Now, we are in the Galway city forum, talking about bargain deals on drink in the city. Why, pray tell, do you feel that mentioning a bottle of whiskey is being sold for what, maybe a euro cheaper, A 3 HOUR DRIVE AWAY. Either take your head outta your hole and add something constructive to the thread or GTFO! Would you think it worth mentioning if Paddys local corner shop on Achill Island was sellin a bottle of jameson for €12.

It's irrelevant, and stop being unnecessarily argumentative, maybe you'll have learned after NUIG forum eh...??:rolleyes: It's the likes of you that is getting good threads locked! So add something constructive to it, or Fcuk Off!!!!:mad:

The Cool wrote: »
    70cl Smirnoff at 16 euro = €2.28 per 100mls
    Though actually, it's in Dunnes now for €15 = €2.14 per 100mls
    Suppose it is a bit better. Hmm.

Anyways, Dunnes has great offers on drink at the mo. Captain Morgans is now €17, down from €25
    Thats very good on Cap Morgans, that'd make a lotta super splits...!!:D

Yeah but from Galway city, you're talkin a 3 hour drive, thats a lotta petrol, wear and tear, and time. Unless you're buyin for the christmas party it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Yeah, sure why import from the North or britain when good oul Joyces are doing it for us! :D

I know it isn't bargain necessarily, but I've always found Woodberys on middle st really helpful and not too expensive to get a really nice gift bottle of wine for someone as a present. They know their stuff and they don't try to upsell.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Eviledna wrote: »
    Yeah, sure why import from the North or britain when good oul Joyces are doing it for us! :D

I know it isn't bargain necessarily, but I've always found Woodberys on middle st really helpful and not too expensive to get a really nice gift bottle of wine for someone as a present. They know their stuff and they don't try to upsell.

They're doing nothing that the rest are doing and paying the VAT considering Revenue checks on Retail. Great deals on Argentinian Malbec wine there.

Padkir wrote: »
    I have no affiliation with Drake, so I was not looking out for him, I was simply telling you that you are being a prick, and I could have probably used any post you've made recently to prove that point.

Now, we are in the Galway city forum, talking about bargain deals on drink in the city. Why, pray tell, do you feel that mentioning a bottle of whiskey is being sold for what, maybe a euro cheaper, A 3 HOUR DRIVE AWAY. Either take your head outta your hole and add something constructive to the thread or GTFO! Would you think it worth mentioning if Paddys local corner shop on Achill Island was sellin a bottle of jameson for €12.

It's irrelevant, and stop being unnecessarily argumentative, maybe you'll have learned after NUIG forum eh...??:rolleyes: It's the likes of you that is getting good threads locked! So add something constructive to it, or Fcuk Off!!!!:mad:

lmfao looks like you need a bargain pint of calm-the-hell-down-sonny :pac::pac:

Oh and nobody said you had any affiliation with Drake but uh, whatever helps you relax.

lmfao looks like you need a bargain pint of calm-the-hell-down-sonny :pac::pac:

Oh and nobody said you had any affiliation with Drake but uh, whatever helps you relax.

You said "cute that you look out for your forum friends" after i called you a tool for arguing with drake, so stop being so condescending you prick.

I'm sure that pint is cheaper in newry though, better head up there for it, save myself 50 cent I'm sure!

You said "cute that you look out for your forum friends" after i called you a tool for arguing with drake, so stop being so condescending you prick.

I'm sure that pint is cheaper in newry though, better head up there for it, save myself 50 cent I'm sure!
    You were sticking up for reap-a-rat, not Drake. Read over the posts again, slowly.

And I'm serious about you needing to relax bro, have a drink.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSoXI4U-5g

You were sticking up for reap-a-rat, not Drake. Read over the posts again, slowly.

And I'm serious about you needing to relax bro, have a drink.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSoXI4U-5g

I suggest you take a reading lesson, and quote me anything that reap-a-rat said before you in this thread.

I'm not getting this thread locked due to it going off-topic, so I suggest you do the same, by not mentioning Northern Irish drink in a Bargain Booze in Galway Cty thread alright? If your comments were valued you might have got a thanks or a positive reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oi! Shut it.

Some of us are trying to knit here.

I suggest you take a reading lesson, and quote me anything that reap-a-rat said before you in this thread.

I'm not getting this thread locked due to it going off-topic, so I suggest you do the same, by not mentioning Northern Irish drink in a Bargain Booze in Galway Cty thread alright? If your comments were valued you might have got a thanks or a positive reply.

Everyone else here has been able to have civil discussion, whether it be about the price of drink in Galway or comparing the price of drink in Galway with other places (a handy way of gauging value). Stop throwing a big stroppy and let it carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fionn MacCool banned for 24hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

where is the cheapest offie in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Lohan's in Salthill - Fifteen europes for a bottle of Smirnoff, and €12.69 for twelve Bavaria. Doing all my Christmas shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

wet-paint wrote: »
    Lohan's in Salthill - Fifteen europes for a bottle of Smirnoff, and €12.69 for twelve Bavaria. Doing all my Christmas shopping there.
    same in o'learys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Any one know how much litre bottles of bulmers are in dunnes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Sorry to mention this and to back up Fionn MacCool's argument to some degree but I got an eight pint bottle of bulmers pack in the north for £6 in November. The car was obviously weighed down with same on the return journey. He has a point, we are still being savaged in the off licences and supermarkets compared to the north.

Advertisement