Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for clearing icey driveway/path

• 08-12-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I've done the clearing of snow thing but there's ice at the bottom and I don't know how to move it.

I don't have a large quantity of salt but what is it the ice even does? I was of the assumption that it merely prevented ice from accumulating rather than being able to shift it.

I've heard cat litter, baking soda and sand should/can be applied to icey paths to help with traction. Is this true?

Any tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Salt lowers the freezing point of water by a few degrees - that's all it does.

Throw down a bit of grit and enjoy the beautiful views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Salt thrown on the ice on my driveway caused it to melt away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

if you have any ashes from an open fire,use that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Took the blade of a spade to mine yesterday. Broke it all up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

best not use to much salt if you have a concrete drive way.

If you have tar. use loads. works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Don't put down cat litter anyway!
    It will just turn into a pile of mess and muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Removing ice is a mechanical job, best thing to do is use a spade or similar to get under it and lift it onto your lawn/wherever. Then salt the cleared area, if you have some. Salt really only helps prevent ice formation - on the kind of layers we have you might as well throw salt into the wind, to paraphrase a popular saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Don't put down cat litter anyway!
    It will just turn into a pile of mess and muck

And ashes the same way! You'll have her indoors handing you the mop! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I've done the clearing of snow thing but there's ice at the bottom and I don't know how to move it.

I don't have a large quantity of salt but what is it the ice even does? I was of the assumption that it merely prevented ice from accumulating rather than being able to shift it.

I've heard cat litter, baking soda and sand should/can be applied to icey paths to help with traction. Is this true?

Any tips please?

Top Tip here........

wait till tomorrow afternoon and there will be no snow and ice left to clear.

Theres a big thaw on the way and we will be basking in temps of + 6 degrees C.

According to RTE Weather forecast.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have to say i am amazed to see no enterprising kids knocking at doors clearing drives for 5 euro...

They would clean up quite literally...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I have to say i am amazed to see no enterprising kids knocking at doors clearing drives for 5 euro...

Sorry Joey, kids around my area were out in force with shovels, knocking on doors....

Fairplay to them....make hay while the snow lasts......hmmm that doesnt sound right!!! Make hay while the sun lasts.....hmmm better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aswell as leaving big chunks out of your pathway or tarmack driveway too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joelietz

I usually pay the neighborhood kids to clear the way...

Someone suggested gravel to me one time-never did try it though.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Yeah it seems there's no quick solution to removing the ice other than beating the bejaysis out of it with a pick axe and then scooping it.

Must get some salt or something for next time before the snow starts falling. I've seen a few builder providers with signs on the road advertising grit. any recommendations?

Advertisement