Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rad not heating

• 08-12-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have one radiator not heating in my apartment.

I used a rad key and water came out the top in a steady flow. So i figured maybe the rad was turned off, so i looked at the knob thing that's attached to the pipe and turned up to what is indicated as open full and did that on both pipes (in and out of rad) still no joy.

The coper pipe into the rad is hot so water is getting to it and no other rad in the aptartment is causing trouble. anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

turn off other rads temporarily to force hot water into cold rad
    when it heats up ,turn closed rads back on
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

is there a thermostat on the radiator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Sometimes when you turn the white plastic part of the valve it does not turn the valve itself. Take off the white plastic part and turn the brass part with a pliers or visegrip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

Sparkpea wrote: »
    is there a thermostat on the radiator?

no
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Sometimes when you turn the white plastic part of the valve it does not turn the valve itself. Take off the white plastic part and turn the brass part with a pliers or visegrip.

I'll try that tonight to see will it work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

ok last night i turned off half the rads and the one that was causing problems heated up just fine. So could it be a pressure problem> maybe i need to increase the pressure in the boiler or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

spirityboy wrote: »
    ok last night i turned off half the rads and the one that was causing problems heated up just fine. So could it be a pressure problem> maybe i need to increase the pressure in the boiler or something.

Its more likely that you need to balance the system correctly. Might be no harm to give it a powerflush too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

if balancing it doesnt work change the water pump next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

Having similar problems.
    I'll give what you say a go cheers.

Advertisement