Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Student LC - Biology and Chemistry lab experience

Options
  • 08-12-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    i was wondering if anybody can help me out. I'm applying to college as a mature student (applied health) in the Republic and in the UK as well.
    Many UK HEI's are looking for some sort of science background and since i have an Art's degree and office / call centre jobs, they mostly agree to take me into consideration if I do one or two more LC Highers (I have Maths from my LC from Hungary and it seems they are ok with that but most of them require two or three science subjects).

So I have found the info on examinations.ie that i can do science as an external student, study on my own and find a school that lets me sit the exam on their premises BUT i need to participate in lab experiments and if i can't prove that i have that, I may not be able to sit the exam. It took me a while to work all these out, confirm with the universities etc so now i'm too late to enroll anywhere (i didn't want to anyway, because i do a different course in the mornings so i'll do the study on my own but that would have been the *proper* way to do I guess) and i have no idea how to get this lab work signed off.
    I checked with a local VEC college, they can't take me in, my coordinator in the course i'm attending is going check with a local sec. school but if that fails I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help, i'm really looking forward to going back to study and feel like another year to wait would be such a waste especially that i can revise the science subjects (I studied science in secondary school and was good in Biology and fairly good in Chemistry) and probably pass the exam. So the lab is the only thing i need to get sorted.

Thanks.

Advertisement