Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really awesome album covers

Options
  • 08-12-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

dream-theater-metropolis2-scenes-from-a-memory.jpg

What are your favorites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

3E97140B2BF14B908C2506572A5A89A4-0000336305-0002070309-00500L-2155D6F930B94D45A69BEEDC34D026D8.jpg

79237D70BAFB49C8A64289E197949682-0000336305-0002070310-00240L-91604818D7544AEFA6641F1F590C13E1.jpg

These were the two first albums I bought and they are still my favourites out of all the records/cds I have bought in the last 30 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

This, and most Tony McDermott designed cover art.

1981-Scientist_rids_the_world_of_the_evil_curse_of_the_vampires.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

cd-cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

John Zorn's Painkiller, of the EP "Guts of a Virgin".

Guts_of_a_Virgin.jpg

Pretty much all Painkiller, and even Naked City album covers are cool, and most of them are violent! This one here is a genuine picture of a murdered woman who was pregent, and was cut open to take a view of the semi-developed fetus. This was usual in postmortem in Thailand. John Zorn was asked about these on a late night BBC radio programme for underground Avant Garde and progressive Jazz artists and to the interviewers shock he gave a very straight faced reaction in saying "Oh yes, I have a great interest in those types of photos." When asked about how he gets them he said "I seek them out, and I pay a lot of money for them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Nailz wrote: »
    John Zorn's Painkiller, of the EP "Guts of a Virgin".

Guts_of_a_Virgin.jpg

Pretty much all Painkiller, and even Naked City album covers are cool, and most of them are violent! This one here is a genuine picture of a murdered woman who was pregent, and was cut open to take a view of the semi-developed fetus. This was usual in postmortem in Thailand. John Zorn was asked about these on a late night BBC radio programme for underground Avant Garde and progressive Jazz artists and to the interviewers shock he gave a very straight faced reaction in saying "Oh yes, I have a great interest in those types of photos." When asked about how he gets them he said "I seek them out, and I pay a lot of money for them."

Sorry, I dont find this awesome, I find it disgusting and in bad taste

• Advertisement

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Well that's fine, it's a matter of opinion my friend. I for one find it interesting. I never found an understanding relationship with the term "bad taste", probably because what is considered bad taste doesn't really catch me as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

bmw-confrontation-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I love the cover of My Bloody's Valentine's "Loveless" even though it's only a blurry screenshot from one of their videos. It's more what it represents..

Really like the cover to Weezer's second album "Pinkerton".

weezer_pinkerton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Loveless wrote: »
    I love the cover of My Bloody's Valentine's "Loveless" even though it's only a blurry screenshot from one of their videos. It's more what it represents..

Yeah I always found that cover as a great way of describing their sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

GZA.jpg

One of my favourite album covers ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I love album cover design :)

brian-eno-small-craft-on-a-milk-sea-1.jpg
    New Eno album, the cover perfectly captures the mood of the record.

Supertramp-Crisis-What-Crisi-186390.jpg
    This is a retro classic from Supertramp.

miles-davis-bitches-brew.jpg
    Another strong album cover reflecting the psychedelic musical content ;)

Also any Blue Note Records album cover designed by Reid Miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    If you've got a problem with a post please use the Report Post icon report.gif and the moderators will deal with it.

Two albums covers done by Michael Whelan that I really like:

Chaos A.D. by Sepultura
    Sepultura_-_Chaos_A.D._1993.jpg

Arise by Sepultura
    Sepultura_-_Arise_1991.jpg

Malice_ wrote: »
    If you've got a problem with a post please use the Report Post icon report.gif and the moderators will deal with it.
    Come on, Malice... You can't censor art, censorship is a dreadful tool of the ignorant.
    Malice_ wrote: »
    Two albums covers done by Michael Whelan that I really like:
    Always like his Sepultura covers, Beneath The Remains is a really cool one too, only one thing to look at (the Rose scull) but it's a really cool idea, and the detail is serious.

Didn't know he done Cause Of Death though, that's another cool one!

Nailz wrote: »
    Come on, Malice... You can't censor art, censorship is a dreadful tool of the ignorant.
    I wasn't saying I'd censor anything. I just want the thread to remain a collection of pictures without having to scroll past posts arguing over the merits of certain pictures and I hope everyone else feels the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

album-The-Clash-London-Calling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

pygcx.jpg

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain.

Great indication of what to expect inside as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Some of my favourites:

SonicYouth_ConfusionIsSex.jpg

Sonic Youth - Confusion Is Sex

It really just looks as cool as f**k. I'm a big fan of black and white artwork and this is certainly one of the best.

aphex-twin-selected-ambient-works-85-92.jpg

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

I don't know what it is about that symbol on the cover, but when i'm listening to this album i can't help but stare at it. And no i don't do drugs.

Godspeed-F-A-Infinity-300x300.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#oo

The album cover really sums up the mood of the music. Dark, weary, and feels like it's the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

album-in-the-court-of-the-crimson-king.jpg

King Crimson » In the Court of the Crimson King

bowiedmanwho.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rubik. wrote: »
    album-The-Clash-London-Calling.jpg

elvis2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Similar to Zero's post on Aphex Twin, this cover just captures the mood of the album.

mhtrtc.jpg

spiderland.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett
    2990600507_d8fb775cc9.jpg

Never For Ever by Kate Bush
    f7fa7ad257f874d62842c35fcb8f19e2.jpg

American Beauty by The Grateful Dead (it also spells out American Reality)
    26-1.jpg

Axis Bold As Love by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    jimi_hendrix_axis.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sonic Youth have been mentioned already. I've always loved the cover of Daydream Nation. The painting is really poignant and beautiful
    daydream.jpg

Velvet Underground & Nico is another classic. I really like Warhol, but I guess if you don't like his stuff you won't like the cover. "Peel Slowly and See"
    velvet_underground_and_nico.jpg

I've also always loved the cover of Screamadelica - the perfect visual accompaniment to what that music sounds like.
    screamadelica.jpg

There are a lot more that I love but those are the first three that always come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Sonic Youth have been mentioned already. I've always loved the cover of Daydream Nation. The painting is really poignant and beautiful.

That painting is by Gerhard Richter - wonderful painter, he's one of my favourites. :)

Some Blue Note classic album covers - the first is an Eric Dolphy album, easily one of my favourite jazz records for its fine balance of experimentality and still being able to retain an intense musicality.
    dolphy.jpg

And this one with an illustration by a young pre-Velvet Underground and Nico Andy Warhol.
    4126Z5GQKBL._SS400_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thecraic

I'ma leave this here!

144762.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Looks like the same font that Nokia uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Bog wrote: »
    Similar to Zero's post on Aphex Twin, this cover just captures the mood of the album.

Didn't Will Oldham take that picture on the cover of Slint's album?

Advertisement