Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Study For History?

• 08-12-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Basically the title says it all. How do you study for history. I'm okay at learning off essays but when you aren't sure on what's going to come up what's the best idea? Writing loads of essays and learning them or learning points and putting them into essays on the day?
    Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

What I generally do is write out points. At first, I write out points roughly while reading the chapter again - it helps the information get into the mind quite well, and then I rewrite them in a easier to read manner (I keep all of these "finished" notes in a hardback). Learning sample essays is risky, as there's a risk you won't be answering the question properly in the exam. If you learn the points off, and know them well for each section then you should be able to adapt them well to exam questions :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I totally agree with bottleopener , points are way easier . True , knowing a full essay can save time but you may be caught out with little changes to the question .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

any predictions on whats coming up this year in HL history (lc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What bottleopener said. I think it's handy to make timelines as well (nothing too fancy like) just to put certain things in context

Advertisement