Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of tyres do you have?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

All Season Tyres
    davy_b wrote: »
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Summer Tyres)

Dito, great tyres. Pretty much the same performance as Michelin PSs but 75% of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Snow Tyres
    Where do you get your F1s looking to pick some up for the summer...:cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

All Season Tyres
    Camskill, great prices & service, arrived in 4 days.

htds014.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

All Season Tyres
    agreed camskill are good and the goodyear Asymmetric are excellent i got mine locally for the same price as camskill so shop around ;)

as for winter tyres i didnt mean to insult anyone i just got frustrated
    sorry :o

but winter tyres are NOT a marketing ploy and they do make a MASSIVE difference i speak from experience just got frustrated from people that have never had them telling me different :rolleyes:

apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

corktina wrote: »
    this is the first year I have heard anysuggestion of special tyres for the winter

its a MARKETING ploy fellers and some of you are falling for it..

Goshhh, that the best you can come up with?

corktina wrote: »
    it might well be but for the few days of snow and ice we are likely to get each winter, it simply is not worthwhile for most driivers (ie anyone not doing a high mileage)

Yes it is.

CiniO wrote: »
    I've got more practice with it, as I was using winter tyres for the last 11 years.

a) dry tarmac - both winter and summer behave very similar, with exception, when temeratures start to reach +15 or more, winter tyres becomes very slippery. I didn't really observed anything opposite. At -15 on summer tyres on dry tarmac i still had great grip the same as on winter tyres. Advertised 7 degrees boundary, where winter tyres are supposed to be better then summer is pure marketing thing, which is there to convience more people to buy winter tyres, even if they barely drive on snow or ice.

b) wet tarmac - All winter tyres that I had so far, were worse on dry tarmac then summer tyres.

c) snow - difference is huge towards winter tyres. For example, as on certaing snowy road I would call it safe to drive 30km/h on summer tyres, then I fell the same safe driving 90km/h on the same road on winter tyres. Speed is 3x bigger, but kinetic energy is 9x bigger. And the same braking force required to stop the car is 9x bigger. Even such a huge difference, winter tyres do the job. Driving on snowy roads on winter or summer tyres, is like heaven and hell.

d) ice - not big difference (you get crap grip on both) but winter tyres seems to be a small bit better.

Reassuming, in my opinion winter tyres are absolutely great on snow.
    In ohter condition they are not that great.
    If I didn't drive a lot on snow I wouldn't really bother buying winter tyres. I would just stay with all seasons.
    But I do drive a lot on snowy road, and that's why I always use winter tyres during the winter.

I'm sorry buddie but that is some miss match of information both correct and incorrect and i find it very confusing. One of the reasons that temperatures come in to play is because of the difference in rubber compounds used. Summer tyres are made of an harder compound generally which copes much better with the warmer (road) temperatures. Winter tyres are made of a softer compound which means they do not harden as much during the cold and that, along with other caracteristics, gives you the extra grip in snow, slush, water etc.
    Your point b, no idea what you are talking about, wet tarmac and then dry tarmac and winter tyres being worse on dry tarmac what?
    Winter tyres will be less stable in summer conditions under extreme cornering and the breaking distance will be longer, simple. That's why you have summer tyres to get the best performance in the summer and winter tyres to get the best performance in the winter, simple.
    All weathers are a compromise which will perform reasonably well under all conditions but like I said, a compromise.
    Point C, you have more grip with winter tyres in the snow which makes the right less slippy and you can stop when you want and not whenever she decides to stop sliding. Kinetic enegry? Go on...

I am also greatfull to the marketing people that i can now go safely at a moderate speed in any direction I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

davy_b wrote: »
    agreed camskill are good and the goodyear Asymmetric are excellent i got mine locally for the same price as camskill so shop around ;)

as for winter tyres i didnt mean to insult anyone i just got frustrated
    sorry :o

but winter tyres are NOT a marketing ploy and they do make a MASSIVE difference i speak from experience just got frustrated from people that have never had them telling me different :rolleyes:

apologies

How much of a difference do winters make when driving on icy roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All Season Tyres
    CiniO wrote: »
    I...
    b) wet tarmac - All winter tyres that I had so far, were worse on dry tarmac then summer tyres......

Is there a typo in that?

I notice on dry tarmac no snow or ice, but very cold, like -1 to -8 I've very little grip with my summer tyres. I would hope that all season and definitely winters would be better in these cold temps. Anything I've seen on the web suggests they would be, and also better on cold wet tarmac than summer tyres. But your the first person to say otherwise to that. That they are only better in snow.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Is there a typo in that?

I notice on dry tarmac no snow or ice, but very cold, like -1 to -8 I've very little
    grip with my summer tyres. I would hope that all season and definitely winters would be better in these cold temps. Anything I've seen on the web suggests they would be, and also better on cold wet tarmac than summer tyres.

But your the first person to say otherwise to that. That they are only better in snow.

After 11 years on winters (I wonder) he got still got it wrong. Must have been a typo or whatever, just very confusing and misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

All Season Tyres
    225/50/R17.

Federal SuperSteel 595 :o:o:(

**** cheap ass tyre. Should never darken any car but when there's 4 new ones on the car when you buy it (and a decent set costs €6/700 absolute minimum), it's hard to say no.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bridgestone Run Flats at the moment here, soon to be replaced by conventional tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Winter Tyres
    I've got wet weather tyres in the back...
    They have large grooves which are good in the wet and in the snow i presume.

Also as the front tyres are kinda them "eco" tyres, they have wide grooves aswell so better grip in snow and wet too i guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Snow Tyres
    Biglad wrote: »
    I'm sorry buddie but that is some miss match of information both correct and incorrect and i find it very confusing.

Let me clarify.
    That's not really encyclopedical information.
    That's my own experience.
    Maybe some on yous have different experiences with winter tyres.
    But as I sad, I was using winter tyres (different breand) every winter since 1999 when I passed my driving test and started driving. So I have a bit of experience with it.
    One of the reasons that temperatures come in to play is because of the difference in rubber compounds used. Summer tyres are made of an harder compound generally which copes much better with the warmer (road) temperatures.
    That's exactly what I said. In warmer temperatures summer tyres provide better grip than winter ones.

Winter tyres are made of a softer compound
    That's true as well.
    which means they do not harden as much during the cold and that, along with other caracteristics, gives you the extra grip in snow, slush, water etc.
    But I'd disagree with above.
    Winter tyres are softer, and are made of plenty of little cuts on tread surface, which makes them biting into the snow. That's why grip on snow is so much better.
    But this little cut's doesn't really help wet tarmac. In general winter tyres tread is developed for snow, so it's pretty obvious they won't be as great on wet tarmac as summer tyres, which usually have a tread intentionally construced for wet surface. That's the reason why winter are worse on wet road than summers. On dry road, as I said - I didn't really fell any difference.

Your point b, no idea what you are talking about, wet tarmac and then dry tarmac and winter tyres being worse on dry tarmac what?

Sorry my mistake.
    I meant "wet tarmac". Dry was described in point a).
    Winter tyres will be less stable in summer conditions under extreme cornering and the breaking distance will be longer, simple. That's why you have summer tyres to get the best performance in the summer and winter tyres to get the best performance in the winter, simple.
    Sounds simple, but as I said, from my experience it's not as simple as this.
    All weathers are a compromise which will perform reasonably well under all conditions but like I said, a compromise.
    I agree.
    Point C, you have more grip with winter tyres in the snow which makes the right less slippy and you can stop when you want and not whenever she decides to stop sliding. Kinetic enegry? Go on...
    I mention about the kinetic energy, just to show that stopping distance from 90km/h is 9x longer then from 30km/h. It was to explain my example.
    I am also greatfull to the marketing people that i can now go safely at a moderate speed in any direction I want.

Marketing guys do their job well, making a lot's of people who don't need winter tyres to buy them. That's their goal, and they are doing it great.
    Thanks to their job winter tyres became so popular, cheap and accissible to everyone whoever really needs them or not.
    That's the usuall way it works ;)

PS. Remember that all what I've written about winter tyres, is from my own experience.
    I believe someone else might have different experiences.

Snow Tyres
    Is there a typo in that?

I notice on dry tarmac no snow or ice, but very cold, like -1 to -8 I've very little
    grip with my summer tyres. I would hope that all season and definitely winters would be better in these cold temps. Anything I've seen on the web suggests they would be, and also better on cold wet tarmac than summer tyres.

But your the first person to say otherwise to that. That they are only better in snow.

As I said. That my experience with winter tyres.
    Buy a set, fell how they are like, and then we can share out experiences if they are similar or different.

Hence that up to 2 year ago (when winters weren't so harsh), barely anyone in Ireland and UK ever heard about winter tyres...
    If they were really better on dry or wet tarmac when cold (below 7 degrees as advertised by tyre marketing people), I'm sure there would be plenty of car enthusiast in Ireland who would buy them for winter.
    But there weren't. Only this winter people started thinking about it, as previous winter was i bit severe, and we got good bit of snow and ice on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All Season Tyres
    You'd have to be more specific about what tyres your taking about. I'm sure theres bad and good winter tyres.

Snow Tyres
    You'd have to be more specific about what tyres your taking about. I'm sure theres bad and good winter tyres.

I can't remember all makes I had.
    At the moment I have Nokian W.
    I remeber I used to have Debica Frigo 2, some other Nokians, and some Michelin... and few more I have no clue.

But my experience was similar with all of them.

Advertisement