Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas (Day) Birthdays!

Options
  • 08-12-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I think there was a thread for all of us last year! Couldn't find one for 2010.

So how is everyone getting on? I can't waiiiit. I've dropped the hint that I'll be very upset if I don't get a seperate cake this year! A piece of Christmas cake with a candle stuck in it, just doesn't cut the mustard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't have any on the day, my dad&brother are 22nd, and my mother's the 24th, (and best friend on the 23rd) so I always make an effort to have separate presents (not wrapped in christmas paper! lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

star-pants wrote: »
    (not wrapped in christmas paper! lol).

I'm impressed :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My baby will be 2 on 1st Jan...She has informed me that she wants caterpillar cake so no getting away with christmas cake:)

hmm must not wrap the christmas birthday presents with christmas wrap...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Lol OP your line about the seperate cake hit a chord with me-my mother's birthday is the 28th and her favourite gripe is that she's never had a birthday cake(not true i've made her one many years running, but she still likes to have her moan!!)

When she was a kid her mother produced a birthday cake and she was over the moon about it until it was cut into to reveal.......the christmas cake!!! My grandmother had just re-iced it :D

I have an old friend who's birthday is Christmas day and her famly have always split the day in half, the morning will be just for celebrating her birthday and the evening is "Christmas", and the next year they do it the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

My birthday is on the 3rd Jan but I was due on Christmas Day :P I'm kinda glad I don't have my birthday on Christmas Day now - I like having 2 seperate awesome days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I don't think i'd like my birthday on christmas day but in a way i suppose it could be fun. I like having my birthday separate though just incase someone buys me a christmas present and tries to say it's my birthday present too :eek: the cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

My sister was a Christmas baby ( I remember the commotion that happened that morning )as soon I was told she was due on Christmas week, I immeidately knew she would be born on Christmas Day and owing the 10 year difference between me and her, she tends to get spoilt rotten at Christmas as a result. We also usually get her some sort of seperate cake for her Birthday.

I can't really think anything of anyone else in the extended family who has a birthday around Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

This is something I've been wondering about. My little man will be 1 on 2nd Jan. I feel bad in a way that he has a "christmas" birthday, most people will get 2 sets of presents for birthdays & christmas, but is it the same with a christmas birthday? I'm sorry if this sounds very materialistic, but these things matter to small children! Obviously not this year, but he will start to notice in the next few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Given I've got family & friends birthdays right before/after Christmas I know the feeling. It's not about being materialistic at all. It's wanting recognition for your birthday separate to Christmas, which is completely normal.
    I've another friend who has her birthday very close to Easter so there were many years where she'd get Eggs as presents (she hates them!).

It's the same with Christmas, I have always made an effort to get separate gifts for birthday & Christmas, and make sure the birthday presents are wrapped in normal paper not festive. It shows you're making the distinction, especially with children as they won't understand a 'one present for both' thing. When people are much older it's different, but even my mother on christmas eve never gets one present for both. Although if there is something very expensive for her / my dad/ my brother, I might get that and then something very small for the other present (usually have smaller one for the christmas).

That way you show the difference :)
    (sorry for rambling lol)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cottontail wrote: »
    This is something I've been wondering about. My little man will be 1 on 2nd Jan. I feel bad in a way that he has a "christmas" birthday, most people will get 2 sets of presents for birthdays & christmas, but is it the same with a christmas birthday? I'm sorry if this sounds very materialistic, but these things matter to small children! Obviously not this year, but he will start to notice in the next few years!

Mine is 2 on the 1st Jan and we will always split the presents as it wouldn't be fair otherwise.
    Everyone else has christmas and birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My birthday is Christmas Day - never known any different so I don't mind it. I've alwas had separate Christmas and birthday presents and cards. Usually tea on Christmas day was like my little birthday party with cake and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

But if you think about it, not only is his birthday the week after Christmas, it's also falls the following year.:D

So it's not really a Christmas birthday as such.:)

Plus it gives you an extra something to celebrate after New Years.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My guy will be 4, 4 days afer xmas (29th of december). We have always done 2 shops, 1 for xmas pressies and 1 for birthday pressies (normally gets less birthday pressies), also when our other boy turns 6 in july he gets a half way birthday pressie .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My Mam's birthday is Christmas Day. Aways feel kinda bad that she has to spend her day cooking a huge dinner for all of us! We get her 2 presents and sing happy birthday in the morning, but I think as the day we go on everyone kinda forgets its her birthday.

I was due Christmas Day, thank God I came late! I'd really hate it! But I do often feel that some of my birthday presents are just rejected Christmas presents :P

Also it does annoy me that people will always say they can't afford to do things for my birthday because its right after Christmas and New Years. I want to go for a not so expensive dinner this year, I've given people plenty of notice to save the €20 or €30 euro, but I know come the day a few people will drop out!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I for one am looking forward to the annual orlamas celebrations!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I for one am looking forward to the annual orlamas celebrations!

They are the festive highlight of the year!! :) I have countdowns all over the gaff, JUST to make sure not a sinner can forget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Moan moan, lucky ye.. Try having your birthday on February 29th !!!! I still get the ribbing each year from family and friends "Not your birthday yet..... technically your only 9..... give you a present next year...... yadda yadda yadda"

Plazaman wrote: »
    Moan moan, lucky ye.. Try having your birthday on February 29th !!!! I still get the ribbing each year from family and friends "Not your birthday yet..... technically your only 9..... give you a present next year...... yadda yadda yadda"

You really have your b-day on the 29th!! I've ALWAYS wanted to meet someone who had their birthday on that date. So what are the legal implications? What age are you?! When do you celebrate your-bday? Have you ever gone to the Olympics?!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

But if you think about it, not only is his birthday the week after Christmas, it's also falls the following year.:D

So it's not really a Christmas birthday as such.:)

Plus it gives you an extra something to celebrate after New Years.:pac:

That is the good thing about it alright, I've always loved Christmas but felt it fizzled out a bit towards the end. Now we will have something to celebrate at the end as well! It will be great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

My daughter will be 2 on the 26th ...we are having a very small gathering of neighbours and close family, cut a cake and have drink.
    Its a horrible time of year as I feel there is extra pressure on people to buy her bother a Christmas present and Birthday present...she will get loads from us anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

My birthday is on christmas day. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Warronh

My fathers birthday is on Christmas. Not yet bought the gift. Just thinking of it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 otlizard

My birthday is on christmas day. That is all

Ahhhhhhh Happy Birthday Ms. peanut, I feel for you, that's tough to have all your celebrations come at once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 elizaphilip

i am so excited about that

Advertisement