Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Credit Card - 18 Year Old Student

Options
  • 08-12-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Just wondering, what is the best way to apply/get a credit card for myself? I'm 18 and in first year of college. I don't work but do have other decent incomes from parents. Is it my bank I go to, or is it elsewhere to apply for one, and will they just tell me to f**k off since I don't work?

I have been with them for 5 years now and have had good money in and out of my account. Only problem is I was thinking, is that sometimes (rarely) I do deposit to sites like Paddy Power with my laser card, but more recently I deposit to moneybookers first to hide the gambling aspect of the deposit. Would that affect me in applying for one?

Also, would I have to give reasons why I need one? Well, sometimes I don't have money in my bank account, but I do get money transferred into it from time to time, and would they be afraid if I did use the card that I wouldn't be able to pay it back? It would only be small payments (up to around €200 max) that I would be using it for.

Thanks in advance for anyone with advice for what to do. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

bump

anyone? please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

You'll just need to have it guaranteed by one of your parents if you have no income.

Edit: I just lost 20 squids on Chelsea so I'm fed up with gambling for the next hour. If that's what you're getting it for then you might want to re-think it but fair enough, that's not what you asked. I don't think the banks would examine your previous money transfers on your debit card to make their decisions, so long as your parents guarantee it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

when i was in college about 8 years ago they had an aib desk there. i filled out a form and had a credit card within a week.

not sure if they're tightened up or not but i've found banks always eager to give to students.

thanks lads..ill pop into the AIB at my college tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Why not just get a Visa Debit card - they come as standard with Ulster Bank and PTSB and soon with BOI. Same usage as Visa credit card - but the money comes from your account.

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »
    Why not just get a Visa Debit card - they come as standard with Ulster Bank and PTSB and soon with BOI. Same usage as Visa credit card - but the money comes from your account.

I have an AIB Visa Laser Card..have been with them for 5 years.

Want the credit card to book holidays mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Get a visa debit off ulster bank
    Credit cards are a disaster, this card will let you book holidays and give you a 600 euro interest free over draft as well as not having to pay yearly stamp duty
    Youll probably only get a couple of hundred credit on a credit card, no extra benefit, and loads of extra charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Don't get one, manage your money instead, there are student credit cards as an option with any student current a/c, generally they have a limit around 300euro but I wouldn't advise it, my friend got one last year maxed it out in a weekend and is still paying for it.

I have a Visa Debit with the ulster bank student a/c, booked flights on it recently so you have no worries there, also as was said already there is the option for an overdraft up to 600euro but you can decline this or limit it to a more manageable figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have an AIB Visa Laser Card..have been with them for 5 years.

There is no such thing as an "AIB Visa Laser Card". AIB issue Laser Cards. They're crap basically, and very limited for online/non-domestic use.

The others mentioned above issue Visa Debit. Visa Debit is a far superior product which can be used online and offline in practically any retailer that accepts Visa credit cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm an 18 year old college student, and I have an UB Visa Debit card and find it great. It works anywhere that Visa is accepted (for all intents and purposes, this is practically everywhere - I've never had it not work!). I also have an AIB Laser, but don't use this much as I don't like Laser.

I too considered getting a credit card, mainly to be able to buy books (which are surprisingly expensive in college!) without having to wait until I went home at the weekends to get money, and whatnot. But I found that if you plan in advance, then there is no need. With credit cards, there is the temptation to buy something now, even if you don't have the money, because you "will have the money by the end of the month". It's much easier to control your spending with a Debit Card. If you don't have enough money to make a transaction, then should you really be making that transaction in the first place? You may think "Oh I won't go over the limits, and I'll always fully pay it off", but everybody says that - nobody expects to go over their limits.

I have given my dad my bank account details, so if I ever need money for books he can transfer it via online banking to my account (which is convenient, but takes 2 working days to process).

Summary - another plus for the Visa Debit card, from an 18 year old college student in first year!

• Advertisement

What's the difference between a Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card & my AIB Visa Laser Card?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DJKendo wrote: »
    What's the difference between a Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card & my AIB Visa Laser Card?
    Thanks

The AIB one isn't a VISA. The ulsterbank one is and can be used anywhere that Visa is accepted, whereas the AIB laser isn't

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's no such thing as an AIB Visa Laser. AIB Laser card is accepted anywhere where Laser or Maestro is accepted. For online shopping, this is fairly useless. Laser is accepted in-store nearly everywhere in Ireland though.

Visa Debit is accepted everywhere Laser is (possibly with the exception of Aldi, I'm not sure), as well as online (anywhere that Visa is accepted) and it's an internationally recognised card so you can use it in different countries as well.

sorry, I meant to say AIB Maestro laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

DON'T DO IT! I owe 400 quid to Bank of Ireland and it's a pain paying back. Seriously just keep some emergency money or something.

Maestro is the UK equivalent of our Laser but even if it is displayed it still doesn't mean it accepts them like Topman.com for example. A Visa Debit card is like a laser but a real Visa card and can be used for anything a credit card can be. Also they have a great offer in Ulster Bank for students about getting 100 off them.

I don't work for them but I did have to go to them when BOI where ***** so the minute I have this credit card bill paid off I am going to move straight there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

VISA Debit FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Aldi/Lidl have accepted Visa Debit for a while now :)

thanks for the help guys & dolls

Advertisement