Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search continues for missing woman (now found RIP)

Options
  • 08-12-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I think this deserves a thread so please take note of the mod warnings on the closed thread before commenting.

The coastguard helicopter is back hovering up and down the river this evening (in the last half hour or so). It wasn't here during the day so I'm guessing it's mainly to provide light to aid any on-water or shore-side search efforts.

I wasn't down by Nimmo's today but was there searching taking place today?

There's been no update on the Galway Bay FM website article. The advertiser mentioned it on their Facebook yesterday but that was all, no updates. Or maybe there simply isn't any updates apart from search continues.

copyofdsc0020.jpg

Good luck to all helping out the recovery operation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Helicopter was buzzing around town till about 4:45 then headed out along coastline, I saw it as I was driving back to Barna.

I hope this all doesn't end in tragedy.

:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah I spotted it twice on my way home, once heading toward carnmore and then again in Knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That's odd - the pedestrian bridge in the Millenium Park? Maybe they're just on standby.

The chopper is still around anyway, can hear it, further down the lower corrib now though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I think they're shooting some kind of tv show in the park, there were video cameras and guy with headphones standing around, plus a few trollies of sound equipment and stuff.

Search called off now for the night according to Galway Bay FM news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

foto joe wrote: »
    Search called off now for the night according to Galway Bay FM news.

Strange, considering it wasn't all that long ago when the heli arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please keep this thread about the missing person only, any other chat will derail thread and get it locked.

CITY AIR AND SEA SEARCH CALLED OFF FOR THE NIGHT

December 8, 2010 - 6:12pm
    CITY AIR AND SEA SEARCH CALLED OFF FOR THE NIGHT

The search for a missing woman in the city has been called off for the night.

Valentia coastguard helicopter and lifeboat spent this afternoon searching the river and canals for the 26 year old.

It's understood the woman, who has a city address, but is thought to be originally from Mayo, entered the River Corrib close to the Salmon Weir bridge last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Why they started searching in the afternoon, wouldn't early hours be better for this ?
    How this could even happen? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Without speculating too much, I believe the missing woman is a friend of a friend, and as of 10 mins ago, he's had 'no update' from the Gardaí. :(

+1, except for the time being a bit more ish.

softmee wrote: »
    Why they started searching in the afternoon, wouldn't early hours be better for this ?

Low tide, perhaps? (I'm guessing)

• Advertisement

If this starts heading for locking again can the mods please delete or ban instead of locking up the thread? Thanks

No probs, delete and ban sounds good.
    Starts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Well I think the grim reality is that the authorities will be looking at a body recovery scenario now. It'll bring a lot of relief and closure to the family if the casualty can be recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

just seen an ambulance pass by the college down towards the Millenium Park (down by Wards shop) dunno if its connected or not but it could be given the location

I used to live along that road and there were several ambulances passing every evening, 'tis normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 galwayabc

any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My friend had no new info as of 7pm. Friends continued to search during the day today.

thanks, couldnt find out anything from the news today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Any update? ANy idea whether it was an accident or what?
    Anone want to explain when they said on the radio, the woman was last seen near the salmon weir bridge, who saw her?

Latest news:

Search under way in Galway for missing Louisburgh woman
    Mayo Advertiser, December 10, 2010.

Search and rescue teams continued their search yesterday for a 26-year-old woman from Louisburgh who reportedly fell from the Salmon Weir Bridge into the River Corrib in Galway on Tuesday evening.

There has been no trace of the Galway resident since.

The woman, who was last seen wearing jeans and a black jacket, is five foot nine inches tall, of medium build, has dark hair, and wears glasses. Anyone who has information is asked to contact Galway Garda Station on 091 538000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Could everyone show some decorum and please refrain from posting rumours, hearsay or speculation in relation to this matter please?

/moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The poor, poor family. I agree with PopeBuckfast - it's so damn easy to spread rumours and hearsay but what you all seem to forget is that a family out there is going through hell.

And some pretty upset friends, from what I hear.

Be sensitive folks, and don't make any assumptions.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Still no news as of 6.30 this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

In fairness, it's not like if your relative has gone missing you're going to log onto a forum and read threads about it...

Thoughts are with the family, I hope the body is recovered so they can have some closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I haven't seen anyone joking about it tbh, but I agree its very possible that relatives check here. I know if I hear about something happening locally I usually check here to see what going on. But anyway back on topic, has anyone any updates on this? I haven't heard anything about it since it happened really, so I wonder is no news good news? Was it actually confirmed that someone had definitely fallen into the water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Seeing as this thread is getting quite a large number of views, I would really appreciate if the mod's would allow this link to a very interesting and informative article regarding water safety, it may benefit someone some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Sincerest sympathy to the family and friends of this girl who are still going through something I can't even begin to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Friends of the missing woman have been continuing to search daily and some *have* been looking on here for updates. Fact.

If you would like to help with any searches, please contact the gardaí in Mill St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My heart goes out to the girls family, and I hope she will be found soon. My thoughts are with them. I have been on searches in the past and it is not pleasant, and the waiting is such a horrible torment for family and friends. Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fact is that in a situation like this nothing can be done until the body floats to the surface again and that generally takes around 9 days and possibly longer in the temperatures we have nowadays.

People who actually WANT to help should prepare to volunteer to help next weekend. Been beachcombing a few times myself :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement