Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder

Options
  • 08-12-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Just want to know if people pay their childminders for days that they need to take off due to bad weather. I had to take last week off, do I pay the childminder for that week.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes,because she was available for work and it was a normal work day for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

my childminder comes to my house and couldnt make it, she said she would get her father to mind my kids. 3 of them. I work from home so I really just need someone to sit with the kids and keep them entertained while I work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think this really depends on the nature of the arrangement with your childminder.

My own minder is a mother of 3 and even she laughs at this 'available for work' notion that similar minders (in her own situation) come up with. As a woman who is minding my child in her own home, along with her own three children, it's not like she has 20 other kids she could be minding, if my child didn't show up on any given day. Nor is it like she was available for work to another parent, who might want her to mind their child.

She minds one child (mine) and is happy to be paid when she has my child, and insists I don't pay her when she hasn't.

For example, I was off work all of last week (because of the snow, and because the school was closed) and she insisted I don't pay her because why would I? She didn't work for me last week.

Creches are different of course because, your child is taking up a place that could be used by another child..so I get why one would have to pay creches in these situations.

However, childminders are different...particularly if you are paying them cash in hand, as I am. It really depends on the nature of the relationship you have with your minder also, OP. Mention it to her, and see what she says.

Advertisement