Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new traffic lights in letterkenny main street

Options
  • 08-12-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Did anyone notice that since they put in the new traffic lights that the queues for coming down the high road and up the main street seem to move a lot lot slower before since they installed the new traffic lights? They only stay green for 15 seconds for the main street and 10 seconds for the other routes, you need to be ninja quick or you'll miss them! On the plus side the courthouse road seems to have benefited seems to be no traffic delay on it, but the other 2 routes (the busier routes) seem to have got the raw deal!

I could be just imagining it though :p, am I imagining it or am i actually right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah yellow any is always full too. Haven't seen anyone actually go through it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Spot who's on the phone with predictive text! :p

Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

The courthouse road is prob more than likely clear because no traffic can get up the hill with the snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i noticed that today. they seem to change alot faster than they used to and for a far shorter period. I think it works the best when the lights aren't working... there never seems to be a traffic jam then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sweet girl

ive noticed them too, im finding them a bit of a pain tbh, they change colour so quick. Also the yellow box isnt there at the moment since they resurfaced the road so people think its ok to drive through the lights and sit in the middle of the road and block the whole place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yip. Came down the high road today and basically it was just about 2 cars at a time that were getting through on the green. Seemed like it changed back to red every 15 - 20 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    Yip. Came down the high road today and basically it was just about 2 cars at a time that were getting through on the green. Seemed like it changed back to red every 15 - 20 seconds

I was waiting for 4 cars to go through earlier it took 3 light changes, so i counted the time :p roughly 10 seconds high road + courthouse road 15 seconds main street, the pedestrian crossings seem to only go when the button is pressed now too so they can come on randomly (i think) between sequences... i know i sad, lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Waaaayyyy toooooo much time on yer hands homer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was anyone driving on main street when the traffic lights were off?
    The traffic was moving nice and quick, cars were letting others in and all junctions moved along nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Senna wrote: »
    Was anyone driving on main street when the traffic lights were off?
    The traffic was moving nice and quick, cars were letting others in and all junctions moved along nicely.
    Yes seemed like the best time to drive down the main street. Is there really a need for traffic lights on the main street? As I'm sure most drivers are decent enough to stop and let pedestrians cross the road

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I used to know the times of the old lights, they did lessen them now and changed the way the standard crossing time works too, but the biggest problem is traffic further down stopping to let people out, especially taxis who then spend ages getting their fare and the occassional person stopping for a chat with people.

These days traffic should flow easier down the street therefore allowing more cars away at the lights. There is absolutely no policing of Taxis in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

<snip>

Please stop trolling / posting off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

As far as I remember the old system was 21sec Green on Port Road, 17 sec on High Road and around 10sec on Justice Walsh road with pedestrian cossing after that. Now all are quicker bursts of green with pedestrian seemingly more focussed on when they are pressed.

All may come out with the launch this monday of the new look at 2pm. I like the positioning and working of the new lights, really can't believe how rediculious those tiled crossings look.

But hope that if they do paint a shiny new box junction, given its proximity to the Courthouse and Garda Station, it will be policed once and a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Whats the point of those things? Are they just to mark pedestrian crossings? They do look stupid and nobody seems to know why theyre actually there. Cant imagine they were cheap either

The new lights are very much focused on pedestrians now but I never once felt the need to use the lights, traffic is always slow mosing so its easy to cross without them.

Yellow Box in and

Drum Roll

Nobody paying any attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

the new lights are fecking brilliant,you never have to wait more than 10 secs because there is some sort of traffic sensors.no matter what direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Was down the town yesterday and have to say I think there should be a clampdown on drivers who stop in the yellow box. Is it hard for some drivers to comprehend that you don't enter unless you can clear it. This causes havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

Its very obvious that who ever decided that those lights should remain, never use the town during the day, otherwise they would have known that the lights dont work. Thy cause more congestion than they alleviate. Traffic moves much freer when the lights are not working, they could have saved themselves thousands if they had just removed them completely. They are supposedly 'smart' lights and they probably are but when you add in dumb humans they lose their smartness!

Advertisement