Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brass sockets for shallow boxes.

Options
  • 08-12-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just wondering are the connections on all brass sockets, switches too big for very shallow boxes. (about 20mm or even a small bit less). the back boxes are nailed in so it be a nightmare to take out and chase. Or even whats the best type of sockets to suit these boxes???

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

20mm sounds a shallow box for any sockets, the boxes are only into the wall by their exact depth i assume? Standard bakelite white sockets seem to be the least deep at the back. The flat plate metal ones are probably the deepest. You probably would have to take them out and re chase a little deeper.

What sort of sockets were in them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

dont go for flat plate cause they need a really deep box.
    the heritage range in brass might suit. they come in brass with rope edge or just plain.
    most sockets will fit most boxes but its the cables that cause the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

cheers lads. They are old boxes and sockets, well 20 years at least. They are sunk exactly to the wall, bit of a nightmare to chase them. Indie where would the best place to try pick up a few of them sockets??

thanks....

sounds like a pd box, tried one of the heratige against one of our 20mm pd boxes and i think they will work. if you are goin by finglas i can loan you a socket to try or give me an idea of where you are and ill find out who does them near to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Thanks indie, but i ended biting the bullet and chasing them out, worked out grand in the end. thanks alot for your help anyway man.

• Advertisement

no bother, ye chasin them out was probably the best way to go.

Advertisement