Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carriglass Exchange

Options
  • 08-12-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

My parents are with eircom and have been for years, they're quite happy with the service as far as line quality, calls dropping etc so fair play. However, they seem to be one of oh so many who are outside the limits of ADSL/Broadband. Fair enough, they are rural :D

From what I gather they are on the Longford exchange and that'd be at least a 5 mile trip on the shortest road. Unfortunately this isn't the way the wires go. The wires appear to run away from the exchange, out to the N4 and then back in to Longford.

Compounding their frustration is on this 5 mile route to Longford, approximately 2 miles from their house is Carriglass Manor, and I believe Carriglass exchange. There was a post over in the broadband forum where somebody provided me with the co-ordinates of this exchange. I drove down to those co-ords but was unable to locate the cabinet - it could be that the co-ords were wrong, it's inside the walls of the manor or whatever.

I've attached a very rudimentary overview of the current state of the line, their house is the blue circle. Our feed comes in via the N4, around by the house and down a bit to service another few houses. There's a gap of 1 mile or so between the last house on our line and the first house on the other black line. There are no telegraph posts along this stretch indicating those folks down the way are on a different line. This could confirm why they can all get internet and we can't too. However, they're not on the Carriglass exchange (blue square) either despite many of them being just around the corner from it.

What can you tell me about this exchange - is it operational? Could you supply the co-ordinates or an approximate location on Google Maps? Are there any plans to connect more lines to this exchange if it is operational (i.e. fill in the gap in the picture, and enable about 100 or more houses along with all the half-finished houses in the Carriglass estate?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

My parents are with eircom and have been for years, they're quite happy with the service as far as line quality, calls dropping etc so fair play. However, they seem to be one of oh so many who are outside the limits of ADSL/Broadband. Fair enough, they are rural :D

From what I gather they are on the Longford exchange and that'd be at least a 5 mile trip on the shortest road. Unfortunately this isn't the way the wires go. The wires appear to run away from the exchange, out to the N4 and then back in to Longford.

Compounding their frustration is on this 5 mile route to Longford, approximately 2 miles from their house is Carriglass Manor, and I believe Carriglass exchange. There was a post over in the broadband forum where somebody provided me with the co-ordinates of this exchange. I drove down to those co-ords but was unable to locate the cabinet - it could be that the co-ords were wrong, it's inside the walls of the manor or whatever.

I've attached a very rudimentary overview of the current state of the line, their house is the blue circle. Our feed comes in via the N4, around by the house and down a bit to service another few houses. There's a gap of 1 mile or so between the last house on our line and the first house on the other black line. There are no telegraph posts along this stretch indicating those folks down the way are on a different line. This could confirm why they can all get internet and we can't too. However, they're not on the Carriglass exchange (blue square) either despite many of them being just around the corner from it.

What can you tell me about this exchange - is it operational? Could you supply the co-ordinates or an approximate location on Google Maps? Are there any plans to connect more lines to this exchange if it is operational (i.e. fill in the gap in the picture, and enable about 100 or more houses along with all the half-finished houses in the Carriglass estate?)

Hi TouchingVirus,

Can you private message mw with your parents eircom telephone number or account number and I will check it out in detail for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the response. I've just tried to PM you there but apparently at some point you were set up not to receive private messages.

You can change this option over here under the Messaging and Notifications subsection.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the response. I've just tried to PM you there but apparently at some point you were set up not to receive private messages.

You can change this option over here under the Messaging and Notifications subsection.

Hi Danny,

I got your PM with your details thanks,

I will look into it and get back to you by early next week.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Danny,

I got your PM with your details thanks,

I will look into it and get back to you by early next week.

Thanks, Mark

No problem, cheers for looking into it for me :)

No problem, cheers for looking into it for me :)

No problem :)

Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

Any update on this for me?

Thanks

Hi TouchingVirus,

Apologies for the wait, I am still chaseing up the information for your query, will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi TouchingVirus,

Apologies for the wait, I am still chaseing up the information for your query, will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

We're closing in on a month here since the last update. I know it was Christmas and various people were more than likely off, but have you any news for me?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

We're closing in on a month here since the last update. I know it was Christmas and various people were more than likely off, but have you any news for me?

Thanks

Hi TouchingVirus,

I apologise for the delay. I have been speaking to a number of people in the broadband rollout regarding your query. I appreciate the Carrickglass may be closer to your parents address.

However when I explained the situation I was advised that eircom determine set grids in an area and connect address' to that exchange. Unfortunately there are always going to be people who are to far from the exchange to avail of broadband no matter how eircom assign address' to the exchange.

So I have been advised that eircom are not moving assigning customers to different exchanges I am afraid.

I apologise I know it is very frustrating for both yourself and your parents but as I outlined there is no way to cover ever address no matter how the exchange radius is mapped out.

Apologise again for the wait I needed to check every possibility before getting back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement