Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replacing disk brakes

• 08-12-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

well guys im looking at swapping out my rear disk brake (avid juicy 3 as its a bit worn and i think the piston is fecked in it as i ran it off the rotor after loosing a pad). i bought the bike second hand two weeks ago and im looking at slowly upgrading some parts in it as i go so i figured why not just update the disk brakes while im at it :D i was looking at these as they seem like very good value (would they include everything i would need for the braking system on both brakes hoses levers rotors etc.?) or could anyone link me some brakes that would be better.
    I figure a good enough bike shop would be able to help me set them up right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Never encountered Clarks disc brakes before. I'd recommend Shimano Xt or SLX if you are on more of a budget. Merlin are good for buying them as a complete, pre bled package.

In fact Merlin have a sale on XT disc brakes !

Great bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any opinion on these? the problem is im looking for a brake that comes with a rotor,out of interest do all rotors fit all brake calipers?

or do ye think id be better off buying a good quality rear disk brake (as the front is used but still working) for around the 100 mark (any suggestions?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

any opinion on these? the problem is im looking for a brake that comes with a rotor,out of interest do all rotors fit all brake calipers?

No they don't.

Just get the Juicy brakes you have serviced, wont cost much at all. If you are not near a bike shop that can do that for you I would suggest contact Rothar in Cork or OC Tuning in Dublin and arrange to post your brakes to them for piston replacement etc.

Dont be tempted to go at your Juicy brakes your self as you will need an additional brake bleed kit and it can be trick if it is your first time.

That or just get XT/SLX easy self service and solid.

I pref Avid / Juicy brakes my self.

Adrian

how does posting a bike work? as in how would i pay them what would the courier cost with insurance to post up and down? these would be my main worries about that side of things, i also want to get up and running fairly quick as this is my only bike right now :o might try one or two shops in kerry first and see what they say (would ye think any shop that deals with proper bikes would know their way around avid brakes?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Where are u based??
    Fitting new pads is cinch once u know how and them bleed kits are a gimmick.
    You may need to buy a drop of brake fluid

Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

how does posting a bike work? .

Post the brakes, as in the lever hose and callaper, just take them of the frame and stick em in as large padded envelope.

Adrian

tralee in kerry, yeah the pads would be an easy fix but unfortunatly i think i ruined the piston in the caliper where the pad cam off (was listening to music so i didnt hear it :rolleyes:) and im not competent enough yet to fix stuff like that :D

It's very easy seany, there's a few bike shops in Tralee that will have pads. There is one on boherbee (sp?) road who stocks giant. In fact I'm sure he would fix it aswell. ..halfords will have the pads too...

I have avids myself and they are a good brake, it's unlikely also that you damaged your piston.
    I am possibly in Tralee myself the weekend. If your not sorted by Friday drop us a pm early in the day and I'll sort them for ya!!
    Marty.

thanks for all the help :) il try that shop first (thats the shop across from the furniture store right?) although every time i pass the shop all i see are road bikes? im also trying to find out if the big little bike shop in killarney could help :D if all else fails il get in touch with yourself

• Advertisement

Not sure what it's across from exactly but there is a wide lane right across the road from it that's used for parking.
    Have a look on u tube for tips on replacing pads.
    I have seen avid pads in halfords in manor west
    If u do decide to upgrade u should spend your 100 euro on a new front brake as that's what really stops you, then fix your rear juicy with parts from your front.
    All else fails gimme a shout. I'll be down if the roads to lyracrumpane have thawed sufficiently!!!
    Marty

lyracrumpane? good luck with that :D that hill is nuts out there its like a 45 degree angle with ice on top haha. thanks for the info and il give you a shout if no shop can help me

Yeah in fact it's a bit past there again!
    No worries let us know how u get on
    Marty

Advertisement