Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A USB with a Alerter/Alarm Installed Into It.

Options
  • 08-12-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey my team mates and I had to come up with a new product for a project in college.Thinking of everyday annoyances one of the guys suggested an alerter for our USB sticks as that topped the list of what a lot of people do nowadays,forget their usb sticks around campus or work.

I'd like to know what you guys think.The mechanics of it would be that when a computer was logging off or shutting down the usb would make a noise or a buzz,but we haven't decided which one to use.We conducted a survey around campus and it received a great response,people were interested in it and over 3/4 s of people admitted to losing their stick.

I'd like to know your thoughts on it.Would you pay a little extra for an alerter on your USB?Or think if it's a good idea or not with suggestions or criticisms welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sounds like a decent idea alright, but how 'little extra' are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Hey thanks for replying ,well the idea is that we know the price is depending on the memory, around eur8 for 1 and 2 gb and then 9.50 for 4gb and 16 for 8 gb.What you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I think its a really good idea but could you not write some software to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Thanks for the link,interesting to see the replies to the idea it helps reading people views,we never really thought of going from the software angle to be honest but I'll have to show that to the rest of the guys!

• Advertisement

I suppose to make our idea more attractive we would have to think of something to add to make the usb-reminder combination epic enough to buy instead of getting software!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Maybe if you had themed ones like the transformers noise, a movie quote, or ringtone noise etc?

Wow that's a really good idea!Like imagine a usb saying 'Say hello to my lil friend' and tony montana pops up on screen as well with a reminder?!Or megatron even?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

glue a rape alarm to the USB key

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10196121-1.html
    This is a story about Jerry Jalava, a Finnish software developer who lost part of his finger in a motorcycle accident last July. According to his friend, Henri Bergius, when the surgeon assigned to work on Jalava's prosthetic finger discovered his hacking history, he made a clever suggestion: incorporate a USB key into the new digit.

• Advertisement

Ya know,I think my lecturer would love that in my analysis!

TBH this could be done in software , portable app on the USB key :p

an app that beeps if a USB key is detected when the shutdown signal is sent

you could use blueproximity to warn users walking away from a machine that a USB key was still inserted

To be honest,I think there are people out there that wouldn't be as comfortable with software as a lot of others are.Like telling my dad to install software into his computer on his own would just end up being a burden on me.
    We want to make a appealing tangible product.I'm aware there has been software written up for reminding a user of a usb but will it give the same warning to users of different operating systems and not just windows?We also want to use it for ps3 and xbox.Anything with a port like?

However Capt'n, I do agree that it in reality getting software is a genuine substitute instead of having to buy one of our USB's instead.I value your reply and I'll include that people may prefer just getting software:)

Advertisement