Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arbitrary Thread Merges

Options
  • 08-12-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I really feel that the entire issue of thread merges needs to be clearly looked at.

There is a clear disdain from users to mega threads due to total lack of clarity form their titles. Most users are late comers to threads and as such will have absolutely little resolve to wade through hundreds of pages of dated posts. New threads have the clear advantage of detailing specifically what the thread is about. It would be impossible for a concise thread title to encapsulate a four hundred page mega thread, therefore it is impossible to know what is being discussed. If a separate, albeit in some way related, thread comes about it may lead to totally different avenues being breached, and conclusions perhaps. I would like to remind everyone that they are called "Threads" for a reason. Threads begin and no one really knows where they may end. Merged threads are never given this opportunity and are in my view "locked lite". There is a clear code for locked threads but nothing in relation to merging of threads.

The division of threads is as important as the divisions in forums. I personally feel that justifiably different topics in and around the same subject matter being merged is the exact same as a mod rocking up to Science sub forum and merging "Astronomy & Space" and "Physics & Chemistry into the same "Mega Astro Physics Thread" as they may be viewed as essentially the same. My above analogy is valid if the reason for the emerge, as recently given to me by a mod for a thread merge I disagreed with via PM was, "but they are essentially (my italics) the same". If mods are to be given free reign to make such judgements, I feel a clear and concise code needs to be drawn up in order to police what is and isn't essentially the same. What is essentially the same to one person is a glaring discrepancy to another.

Freedom of thought and free exchange of information is the true value of the internet, and this has only been heightened, by media organisations such as boards, by providing a clear, navigable and fair means for these activities. However with this organisation comes responsibility, and merging and locking of threads for that matter is a form of censorship. All censorship is open to abuse and therefore anybody carrying out actions which take the form of censorship leave themselves open to criticism of abuse of power. These claim may be charged especially if there is no clear code of conduct for their actions, other than that in their opinion they were essentially the same. By providing such rules in relation to merging of threads, they would be free from having to make such judgemental decisions on what is and isn't essentially the same to the detriment of individual and very separate threads.

Whilst I realise that boards has been based on a principle based approach to moderating, I was unable to find any principle at all on merging. However there are set stipulations on, "nasty abuse, lies, insinuations and potentially libellous comments". I have seen evidence of merges being absolutely guilty of these principles above, I say this not in order to name and shame individuals but to highlight the need for clear guidelines to be issued so that moderators do not fall on their own sword.

From a practical point of view I can see the reason for thread merges, They were an invention by mods in order to facility housekeeping. However in my opinion arbitrary moding is an example of over moding, and its flagrant use can be contrary to forums' charters. Its is in no way convenient for users and in no way furthers free exchange of ideas and information. In its current guise, void of any principles or rules, it is open to abuse and open to criticism of abuse. Let the people deem what is essentially same.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think your argument would be valid if people contributed to threads within very narrow parameters. However they do not, as you said, it is a thread, and what links to the subject to one person might not to another. I have seen where two threads ramble very similarly round two slightly different titles, and I for one find it very confusing as I cannot recall which one I was following.

I do wonder about the usefulness of very long threads as arguments are bound to be duplicated as people lose interest in reading the whole thread. I cannot come up with any useful solution to that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sometimes, as a mod, I find it necessary to merge threads because a minority of posters flood the board with threads that are dealing with one rather narrow topic. Therefore, to keep the place accessible to all users, mergers are sometimes needed.

Advertisement