Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Research Board Summer Student Scholarships

Options
  • 08-12-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Just got an email about this from college.
    The Health Research Board invites applications for summer scholarships from undergraduate students in health-related disciplines to support their participation in research during Summer 2011. The purpose of the student scholarships is to encourage an interest in research and to give the student an opportunity to become familiar with research techniques.
    WHO should apply?
    Undergraduate students who are not in the final year of their degree course who are studying in a health-related discipline at a university in Ireland.
    In line with the HRB strategy the project must fall within one of the following research areas: clinical research, health services research, population health sciences research or applied biomedical research. Applications that focus solely or predominantly on basic biomedical research are not eligible.
    WHAT is the value of the award?
    The amount paid will be €250 per week for a maximum of eight weeks.
    WHEN is the DEADLINE for applications?
    Wednesday 26 January at 12.00 noon.

Sounds something like the RCSI SPUR program. Anyone any experience with this? I'm trying to apply here and it's asking me to submit a project title. Wha?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Just got an email about this from college.

Sounds something like the RCSI SPUR program. Anyone any experience with this? I'm trying to apply here and it's asking me to submit a project title. Wha?
    I did something like this, so I'm fairly familiar with the HRB but some of my details may be off.
    You have to find a supervisor, arrange a title and project with them (i.e. let them tell you what to do), and then send off an application form. Realistically you will have to do this within your own college. I know RCSI have a semi-formalised summer research arrangement for students (outside the SPUR programme, which is a separate thing again), so I would imagine most medical colleges such as TCD, UCD etc do as well.

But, simply put, all you need to do is find a supervisor who is willing to take you on over summer - it's not that hard! So just ask some lecturers in areas you're interested in.

Like I said, I did something similar before so feel free to PM if you have any other questions. It's a fantastic experience and really interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Ah, ok. From my vague knowledge of SPUR, I thought it might be a case of tagging along with an already-established research team and helping out somehow. Dunno if I'm of sufficient calibre to carry out my own!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

PRobably best to go ask your lecturers who do things you're interested in, you might get one of htem to suggest something and help you write a proposal.

The SFI run the UREKA programme which has links with a great number of colleges, it'd be well worth looking at this and applying for a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Ah, ok. From my vague knowledge of SPUR, I thought it might be a case of tagging along with an already-established research team and helping out somehow. Dunno if I'm of sufficient calibre to carry out my own!
    It would be very similar to the SPUR programme, and is aimed at first and second year students so I'm sure you're of more than sufficient calibre!
    Just bear in mind, it isn't easy work and I would only recommend it if you are interested in pursuing lab-based research as part of your career. But it's a great experience nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

HQvhs wrote: »
    It would be very similar to the SPUR programme, and is aimed at first and second year students so I'm sure you're of more than sufficient calibre!
    Just bear in mind, it isn't easy work and I would only recommend it if you are interested in pursuing lab-based research as part of your career. But it's a great experience nonetheless!

You're a med student, I believe? Do you mind me asking what year you were in and what you researched, out of curiosity? I'm 2nd year med, and I think my most interesting module this year is molecular medicine... I'll definitely talk to a couple of lecturers and see what they think.

I'm thinking of doing an intercalated M.Sc after third year so lab-based research is definitely something I'd like to get experience in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement