Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This cold, dry, bright weather is a blessing

Options
  • 08-12-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about everybody else, but I've been feeling great these last weeks.

I sleep well, my beginning rheumatism (or whatever it is ...I'm over 40, you just wait :D) isn't bothering me because it's dry and not damp and the bright days with lots of sunshine (and the added reflected sunshine from the snow) are doing wonders for my general mood ...no sign of winter blues or SAD. No cold or sniffles either.

Long may it last !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Yeah I agree. The only thing is that walking and driving conditions are too dangerous. Otherwise it's all nice and Christmassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I have to agree, I too am sleeping better than normally and my mood is much better than it would normally be in damper conditions. I'm into hiking so I'v got good gear for generally getting about but hate having to drive anywhere. I'd love to have more time off work right now to enjoy it properly, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

andrewire wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. The only thing is that walking and driving conditions are too dangerous. Otherwise it's all nice and Christmassy.

Driving conditions are dangerous, and it is taking longer to get everywhere, but road deaths are way down, and it is much safer to walk on the roads as cars are travelling a lot safer than usually, and there is much less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I would be quite happy if it lasted til mid-January.

The air is so beautiful and crisp. Great weather to go out and walk the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

ive weirdly gone bac into my childhood.

pretending to be rabbit..get under the duvets and pretending your in a burrow lol...sleep like a baby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I won't argue about the sunny weather, it's great. The cold doesn't bother me at all when it's dry and sunny.

As for sleeping better, I sleep ok but I'm waking up knackered and in bits from SHOVELLING F*^KING SNOW EVERY F*^KING DAY FOR HOURS!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

(Rant over)!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

If it wasn't for the driving problems I'm love to have this weather all winter each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

and everyone seems more pleasant and helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

I could live like this all winter if we could just get the dratted car off the drive. The local village Mace isn't the ideal place to do the Santa shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

You obviously don't have to drive anywhere. You obviously don't consider the impact of this weather on the old and poor.

You obviously do not have to walk to work.

You obviously like in the city centre and work in the public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

NickDrake wrote: »
    You obviously don't have to drive anywhere. You obviously don't consider the impact of this weather on the old and poor.

You obviously do not have to walk to work.

You obviously like in the city centre and work in the public service.

You obviously don't have a clue :D

I drive 70 km to work & back every day (and I don't have flexi time :D)

I live in the country and a have a very steep driveway

I AM old :D

peasant wrote: »
    You obviously don't have a clue :D

I drive 70 km to work & back every day (and I don't have flexi time :D)

I live in the country and a have a very steep driveway

I AM old :D

Well you obviously don't care for the old and poor. This weather is terrible for them

Where are you based because this weather is awful in some place. More than others.

Work in the public service??

WTF has the public service got to do with the weather? And no, I don't work there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

wow. A weather thread turned to a public sector bashing thread, can we leave it out please.

peasant wrote: »
    WTF has the public service got to do with the weather? And no, I don't work there

They have no problem coming in late for work and leaving early. The teachers are off, the guards are off, staff in revenue are late but do not have to work it does not affect their flexy.

They have no problem coming in late for work and leaving early. The teachers are off, the guards are off, staff in revenue are late but do not have to work it does not affect their flexy.

You need to get out more and enjoy the beautiful sunshine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This is the weather forum, not AH or irish economy. No need for public sector bashing, people are allowed have different opinions on what type of weather they favour.

:rolleyes:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm not looking forward to the warm up. I'm going to miss the sound of crunching snow under my feet and the clear, crisp air while going for walks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

meercat wrote: »
    and everyone seems more pleasant and helpful:)

well almost:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I love this weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I too am enjoying this weather for many reasons

I love snow

I love a break from the old routine

I love snow

I don't like rain

I love snow

I'm having a bit of trouble getting to work as the handbrake on my car keeps freezing (even when I leave it off in gear - go figure) but that's to be expected and I've not yet taken a snow day so get one up on my not-so-dedicated colleagues.

I've taken a couple of tumbles on the ice but as i've been wrapped up in many layers I've not yet done any serious damage. Just hurt pride more than anything.

There's nothing in this world makes you feel so alive as a stinging cold face and slightly frozen fingers and i've been sleeping like a log.

I know old folks have been having a tough time of it - but I do believe that the community spirit has made lot's of people give a bit more attention to their elderly neighbours.

I think winters like last year and this year are going to become the norm so we may as well embrace it and evolve with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm glad to see some people have their priorities right, clearly it's better to break your bones than risking a fashion faux pas.

Oops. I posted this in the wrong forum!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You've been causing arguments here for the last few days, would you not just go away.

sdonn wrote: »
    You've been causing arguments here for the last few days, would you not just go away.

Where? In the weather forum? That is a blatant lie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I don't work in the public sector, and as I don't live in D4 with the public transport provided by the public sector, I've been driving on some awful public roads at all hours but I still enjoy the bright days, the blue skies and the lovely white scenary that is a huge change from the drab wet grey we're so used to.

p1010077x.jpg

(Just for those that won't get out into the country to appreciate the views.)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement