Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins not being emptied

Options
  • 08-12-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I put my black bin out last Wednesday and this Wednesday (today) with a valid bin tag each day. I have paid the Fingal County Council charge up to 31 December 2010.

The bin has not been emptied on either day so I am in dire need at this stage. I rang the Environment Department of the council and was told that the bin lorry was not able to get past a couple of cars parked on the entrance road.

This type of problem seems to stop fingalcoco collecting rubbish every couple of months. I understand from previous correspondence that fingalcoco are the authority in charge of parking (and planning) but they have failed to alleviate the problem in the estate. I have lived in the same house for the last nineteen years and am growing tired of the situation.

Some of my neighbours use other bin contractors and they do not have the same issues of access. I am reluctant to abandon the council service but may have to if they continue to fail to deliver (or collect).

What would you do in my place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why are you reluctant to abandon a council service? It's overpriced and unreliable!

I use Panda and have never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

If you dont put your bin out every week as far as i know Panda are work our dearer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

The only bin collections done here in the past ten days have been by the private guys. maybe the regular bin lorry drivers with the councils have been pressganged into driving gritters/ploughs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My green bin wasn't collected today as scheduled but I can understand why. The estate is lethal. The truck would be slipping and sliding all over the place and could easily end up in the side of a parked car. Too risky I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Panda collected my green and black bin today too, in Littlepace. Do the Panda trucks have super snow tyres which the Fimgal Co. Co. trucks don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

My green bin wasn't collected today as scheduled but I can understand why. The estate is lethal. The truck would be slipping and sliding all over the place and could easily end up in the side of a parked car. Too risky I think

Ours wasnt collected today either but i dont think they can use the conditions of the estates as an excuse as the same truck emptied the Panda bins the other day when the conditions was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

niether was ours, but we had the black bin men around on tues no probs for them, so dont understand why it is for the green bin men, yes our estate like most people estate is lethal !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Apart from Panda are there any other private waste disposal companies who operate in Dublin 1? I would like to compare charges and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well our council bins were empityed the last 2 weeks. And given that I only put my bin out onece per month its cheaper for me to be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My black bin gets collected on average once every 3 weeks. They keep giving excuses. E.g, couldn't see the tag clearly, couldn't tell if you're paid up in full, bin too full (as they hadn't collected it for the previous 2 weeks!).

Fully paid up, and the tags are in perfect condition and wrapped around the handles as usual. If it keeps up, they'll be taken to court. I've been taken pics of the bin/tags/label each week as evidence.

• Advertisement

If the lid is open on the bin they won't take it, happened to my neighbours a few times... Panda take it if the lid is open no problem.

I rang the green bin crowd and they said to leave it out and that it would be collected either today ( it wasnt ) or tomorrow as they were behind because of the adverse weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I rang the green bin crowd and they said to leave it out and that it would be collected either today ( it wasnt ) or tomorrow as they were behind because of the adverse weather conditions.

This is probably true, mine was collected sometime on Thursday instead of the usual Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

My green bin wasn't collected on Wednesday. I rang the council who said Greyhound do collections on their behalf.

I rang Greyhound and they said they would investigate whether my road had been done or not.

They rang me back about half an hour later and said to leave it out again on Thursday and they would try pick it up. They managed to pick it up on Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

We havent had the green bin collected at all.
    Neighbout knocked in to say that they will be back on 22nd but you can put 2 bin bags out with it.

brightkane wrote: »
    Neighbout knocked in to say that they will be back on 22nd but you can put 2 bin bags out with it.

nice neighbour you have as well ,

ours will be collected 21st,,,neighbour rang them and told a few of the neighbours.. Just as well i didnt phone :mad: ..
    So they OWE us a back week then?
    cos that would of been the date well a day earlier to what they should be picking up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I may be misunderstanding you, but you don't have to put a tag on the green or brown bins do you?

Murt10 wrote: »
    I may be misunderstanding you, but you don't have to put a tag on the green or brown bins do you?

No your right you dont.

bu if your green bin is full and they are not coming for another 2 weeks you can put out 2 bags of recycling also with the bin, if that makes sence?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Our black green and Green bins, have not been collected in 4 weeks!

I plan to put out the extras I.E. all the black bags that will not fit in and the paper and garden waste out as well. It will look a complete mess.

I live in philpsburgh ave Fairview!

These bin men especially the council "black binmen" (No jokes) are notorious for not taking extra bags.

I plan to take a photo before and after collection. There may have been snow. but fairview main roads have been clear for over a week, did they not want the overtime or is there a go slow on these services.

The bins are out there on the avenue 4 weeks now and people are starting to pile out the scrappy looking bags.

Do you think I should ring and ask what they are going to do?

I remember telling them after I had a number of extra bags that I have the right to through in the extra bags myself, the bin man said yes you have that right and just banged on the side of the truck which promptly moved off without the bags:mad:

I was not abnoxious.

What do you think?

No your right you dont.

bu if your green bin is full and they are not coming for another 2 weeks you can put out 2 bags of recycling also with the bin, if that makes sence?

Make sure they are clear seethrough bags.

• Advertisement

Panda looks like a better option at this stage. Not only did they collect during the bad weather but they stopped to help push a neighbours truck that was stuck. Fair play to them. Was the fact that they wernt Irish have anything to do with them collecting in the bad weather and stopping to help? Is it just the Irish bin men ( not all ) that have the attitude like its too much for them to take the extra bag or two?

Make sure they are clear seethrough bags.

Where do you get clear bin bags? cant think of any place that does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm with Fingal Co Co for my rubbish collection and have to say that the week before last my black bin was emptied and I was surprised that it was. My estate (like most others) was very dangerous but still they came and emptied it.
    My green bin was out today for collection (by Greyhound) and none of the bins in the estate were touched. I've found Greyhound have been very remiss in their collection of the bins in the past and have had to call several times to chase up on collections. Once I even saw the bin men take stuff out of the bins and throw it around the estate. :mad:

our green bin was not taken since 24th november. with the Co.co.

yet black were and also Panda didnt miss a trick in our estate.

"The Waste Charges Bills will issue in early January 2011.
    Your existing stickers marked December 2010 are valid until the February 2011 payment due date and will secure bin collection until then."

Fingal Coco €110 per year - €8 per black bin lift.
    Panda €88 and €6.40 a black bin lift.

So will be changing to panda end of Jan.

Does anyone know how they manage collecting the money per lift. Or do you top up your account nad they deduct it per lift ?

brightkane a freind of mine who is with them says they send you a 1/4 montly bill, where you pay it at any most shops with point acc shop.

Cheers Glossy, They must scan the bin or something thenwhen they lift it

Cheers Glossy, They must scan the bin or something thenwhen they lift it

yes, i forgot to say there chipped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

My green bin was not emptied today because a passer by left an apple-core on top so it was rejected....

It Greenbin.ie and I've no choice in who I use as the landlord organised it when we moved in.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

If you have a family Panda are a great service,cant fault them...

• Advertisement

My green bin was not emptied today because a passer by left an apple-core on top so it was rejected....

It Greenbin.ie and I've no choice in who I use as the landlord organised it when we moved in.

S.

If you're paying for it yourself of course you have a choice...

Advertisement