Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safety on icy pavements

• 08-12-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

Having now slipped and fallen several times on un-gritted pavements in various parts of the city. I've come up with my own set of golden rules which might but probably won’t help anyone else.
    1. When you land immediately look around to make sure that no one seen you fall
    2. Stand up as quickly as you can
    3. Check that no one seen you stand up
    4. Leave the scene as fast as you can while acting as normal and as unhurried as possible
    5. Be careful not to slip again
    6. Curse
    7. If using an ipod check that headphones are still in place
    8. Curse
    9. Check for injuries
    10. Curse
    11. Swallow your pride
    12. Curse because you didn't check if anything fell from your pockets when you fell and you are now to far away to see and to embarrassed to go back
    13. If injured go to A&E but only if you can find which one is on-call otherwise phone (if you didn't drop your phone) an ambulance and wait

I may or may not accept amendments to these rules - I haven't decided yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Try not to fall over.

Ice is slippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

don't keep your hands in your pockets while walking, you'll be better able to break your fall.

but you might still end up on RTE news...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

12. If you come across any black ice and cannot cross, whip out your langer and piss on it to defrosed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    12. If you come across any black ice and cannot cross, whip out your langer and piss on it to defrosed it.

Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Maloney_o9 wrote: »

But what if your not equipped with a langer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gucky wrote: »

Then you have failed in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Shout at it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

squat? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

foxinsox wrote: »
    squat? :o

You stand up? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

13. If you see a lady fall and help her up: be careful where you put your hands. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    13. If you see a lady fall and help her up: be careful where you put your hands. :o

....this is true. The 'bosom haul', though effective, is often unappreciated.

Nodin wrote: »
    Then you have failed in life.

in your opinion..

i quite like not having a langer (of my own) :D

in your opinion..

i quite like not having a langer (of my own) :D

This is because you do not own a langer, thus know not what you miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I just use my jet-pack :)

Nah, I said I don't have one of my own..

I didn't day I didn't "own" one..

I have a boyfriend who owns one..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i nearly broke the back end of my bollix last night on the path. the most embarassing thing was the girly whhhhhhhhoooooooooooooo i let out when i slipped

Nah, I said I don't have one of my own..

I didn't day I didn't "own" one..

I have a boyfriend who owns one..

:D

Thats like something a ....woman.....would say.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

For the good (entertainment) of the nation, keep your hands in your pockets at all times. It makes for a much more fulfilling and hilarious incident for those who may be quietly peering out of a car/cafe window at you.

If you must keep your hands out of your pockets, please ensure to flail them wildly immediately prior to your fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe I'm a lucky fecker, don't think i've ever fallen on ice in all my 30 odd yrs on this planet. Had zillions of times when I nearly toppled though. Are some people just well balanced more than others? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

1) Stand up quickly and raise your hands shouting "Taa daa!!!" like you meant to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

Wear a pair of socks over your shoes, and you'll be walking like a king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

We have boobs.
    So :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Wear a pair of socks over your shoes, and you'll be walking like a king weirdo.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Hiking boots are keeping me upright these days. I feel like the Terminator though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I slipped on the ice tonight, fell backwards and rescued myself at the last minute.

In hindsight, I should have stuck one leg up in the air. Woulda looked like I was breakdancing then. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Was anyone else disappointed when the guy on the bike didn't fall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Wear ice skates and be on time, all the time ;)

alwaysadub wrote: »
    We have boobs.
    So :P

If I didn't know that St Patrick had made sure there was no wimmin on the internet, I'd feel worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Wear a pair of socks over your shoes, and you'll be walking like a king.

Does this really work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

bloody hate icey foopaths left hanging onto railings in my 20's then
    someone in their 60's keep fit, hippy 60's chick, fella rolls pass you as fast as fast as lighting :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

123balltv wrote: »
    bloody hate icey foopaths left hanging onto railings in my 20's then
    someone in their 60's keep fit, hippy 60's chick, fella rolls pass you as fast as fast as lighting :eek::eek:

What were you smoking while this was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

What were you smoking while this was going on?

bacardi seriously ould age grannies walk faster than me on the ice
    had sciatica it killed me for months never want it back again have to take easy it on the ice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

123balltv wrote: »
    bacardi seriously ould age grannies walk faster than me on the ice
    had sciatica it killed me for months never want it back again have to take easy it on the ice

Me too! lol I thought I was the only one. I fell and hurt my back a few times. It hurts like hell and lasts for months. So yea, I take my time walking on the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Don't take your big, easily excited German Shepherd pup out for a "stroll" on icy footpaths. (Or you just might end up out on the road on a major roundabout:()

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't walk on icy inclines down in Limerick! Having a backpack can break your fall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Squat.
    No need, most women can piss perfectly fine standing up if they wanted to, and I have seen some at it at festivals and down lanes in town. I think something like 85% are perfectly capable, the remaining 15% have such a mess of beef it looks like a pitbull has savaged a butchers shop, just too much too handle.

In some countries its the men who squat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urination
    It is also possible for many females to urinate whilst standing. If a female wears a sarong, skirt, or other such open bottomed garments, and either wears no underwear, or moves or removes it, merely spreading the legs may be enough to place the urine stream away from the body and clothes. The urine will generally travel more or less straight down. Some females can also angle their urine away from the body, and any lowered trousers or other garments, in a way similar to that of males. This may be done by spreading the labia minora open and orienting the pelvis at an angle, and rapidly forcing the urine stream out.[13] Reports indicate that it is common that women in the Ivory Coast use this method when they urinate.[14] Some sources seem to indicate that women urinate this way in West Africa in general.[15] Other reports indicate, however, that it seems to be less common for women to urinate standing in West Africa,[16] while it has been reported that it is common that women urinate standing up in the streets in Malawi.[17] In Ghana, signs which forbid public urination often show a picture of a female urinating like this.[18] Laos is a country where it is common for women to urinate standing.[19] There are reports that seem to indicate that in Togo women urinate using this method, while men do it squatting.[20] Herodotus described a similar custom in ancient Egypt.[21] An alternative method for women to urinate standing is to use a tool known as a female urination device to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

rubadub wrote: »
    No need, most women can piss perfectly fine standing up if they wanted to, and I have seen some at it at festivals and down lanes in town. I think something like 85% are perfectly capable, the remaining 15% have such a mess of beef it looks like a pitbull has savaged a butchers shop, just too much too handle.

In some countries its the men who squat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urination

I was probably better off not knowing that. But thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Tried out the socks over shoes things tonight, deffo a bit more grip on the worst stuff. I would prefer looking like an idiot than falling over all the time tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

rubadub wrote: »
    It is also possible for many females to urinate whilst standing. If a female wears a sarong, skirt, or other such open bottomed garments, and either wears no underwear, or moves or removes it, merely spreading the legs may be enough to place the urine stream away from the body and clothes. The urine will generally travel more or less straight down. Some females can also angle their urine away from the body, and any lowered trousers or other garments, in a way similar to that of males. This may be done by spreading the labia minora open and orienting the pelvis at an angle, and rapidly forcing the urine stream out.[13] Reports indicate that it is common that women in the Ivory Coast use this method when they urinate.[14] Some sources seem to indicate that women urinate this way in West Africa in general.[15] Other reports indicate, however, that it seems to be less common for women to urinate standing in West Africa,[16] while it has been reported that it is common that women urinate standing up in the streets in Malawi.[17] In Ghana, signs which forbid public urination often show a picture of a female urinating like this.[18] Laos is a country where it is common for women to urinate standing.[19] There are reports that seem to indicate that in Togo women urinate using this method, while men do it squatting.[20] Herodotus described a similar custom in ancient Egypt.[21] An alternative method for women to urinate standing is to use a tool known as a female urination device to assist.

I think you made a typo surely you meant "Laois is a county" in the above quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Having now slipped and fallen several times on un-gritted pavements in various parts of the city. I've come up with my own set of golden rules which might but probably won’t help anyone else.
    1. When you land immediately look around to make sure that no one seen you fall
    2. Stand up as quickly as you can
    3. Check that no one seen you stand up
    4. Leave the scene as fast as you can while acting as normal and as unhurried as possible
    5. Be careful not to slip again
    6. Curse
    7. If using an ipod check that headphones are still in place
    8. Curse
    9. Check for injuries
    10. Curse
    11. Swallow your pride
    12. Curse because you didn't check if anything fell from your pockets when you fell and you are now to far away to see and to embarrassed to go back
    13. If injured go to A&E but only if you can find which one is on-call otherwise phone (if you didn't drop your phone) an ambulance and wait

I may or may not accept amendments to these rules - I haven't decided yet.

Stop trying to be funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fart on the ice to melt it.

I normally stick to the edge of the road beside the curb of the path since that's usually fine around my direction.

Also, watch the person's pattern in front of you. Watching them nearly slip provides a good heads-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Stop trying to be funny

I will if you promise to stop talking ****e,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Stop trying to be funny
    I will if you promise to stop talking ****e,

I still can't stop laughing at your username :P

Advertisement