Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK - Week 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Baggs is a hero. Hope he wins it. Can't stand Joanna and her stupid voice.

Alan Sugar would be insane to consider giving that spanner a job. While his little speech might have saved him for this week it will probably prove to be counter productive due to the fact that he's heaped an unnecessary amount of pressure on himself.

Now he simply has to produce the goods and back himself up every step of the way.

He was going until his little ejaculation about the flat and car and that he wasn't living out of his parents pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The rest of them are middle-management cogs. Stuart's a risk-taker. One day one of those risks will probably pay off, as Sugar well knows. The question is if he stretched the truth. If he did he's b*&&*xed.

Sugar made the right decision. There are thousands of Stellas and Lizs in London, dozens probably walk in and out of Sugar's companies every year. What will they do? They'll be perfectly competent, they'll be good, but they'll never be innovative or change the direction a company is going in.

Stuart fought well in the board room, and Sugar loves that. At the moment, I don't know if he's all hot air or if he does have substance but Sugar took a punt, and I would have too. He has more drive than Liz and Stella combined. For all his faults, you won't find many like him, and if it works, it will work big, which will never be true of the others.

Stuart is the closest to a true Apprentice that I have seen in any of the series. I really don't think this was a production or entertainment decision. Sugar saw something of himself in him.

While he may have potential, his manner will annoy as many people as it may ingratiate. As I've said before, If I had a boss like him I dont think I could stick being in the same office as him.

The rest of them are middle-management cogs. Stuart's a risk-taker. One day one of those risks will probably pay off, as Sugar well knows. The question is if he stretched the truth. If he did he's b*&&*xed.

If he did he can't seriously expect to get away with it. Why should Alan Sugar take such a chance? Surely this process is about finding the most suitable candidate and not having to rely to luck or taking a gamble on someone

orourkeda wrote: »
    While he may have potential, his manner will annoy as many people as it may ingratiate. As I've said before, If I had a boss like him I dont think I could stick being in the same office as him.

Sure, the question is if all that energy can be 'harnessed' or tamed. Thing is, though, highly successful businessmen - be they Sugar, Trump, the Dragon's Den crowd - aren't Mr Nicey Niceys. They all have rough edges because you need a kind of steamrolling ambition to make it to the real top.
    If he did he can't seriously expect to get away with it.

I agree. If he lied, significantly, he deserves to go.

• Advertisement

Surely this process is about finding the most suitable candidate and not having to rely to luck or taking a gamble on someone

Having watched every series of the Apprentice, most of the candidates who have reached the final have been underwhelming. My favourite ever was Ruth 'Badger' and I see a bit of her in Stuart. Sugar's sick to death of the kind of mediocrity we see in the other finalists. They'll all do well, be successful, have close enough to 100,000 salaries, but they won't set the world alight.

Sugar's true Apprentice should have an entreupeneurial spark, but the mickey mouse tasks don't really test for that kind of thing. I'm not convinced Stuart's it, but I think he's the closest there's been in a while. There are enough good salespeople, presenters, and logisticians in the world, Sugar's looking for something entirely more unusual.

Having watched every series of the Apprentice, most of the candidates who have reached the final have been underwhelming. My favourite ever was Ruth 'Badger' and I see a bit of her in Stuart. Sugar's sick to death of the kind of mediocrity we see in the other finalists. They'll all do well, be successful, have close enough to 100,000 salaries, but they won't set the world alight.

Sugar's true Apprentice should have an entreupeneurial spark, but the mickey mouse tasks don't really test for that kind of thing. I'm not convinced Stuart's it, but I think he's the closest there's been in a while. There are enough good salespeople, presenters, and logisticians in the world, Sugar's looking for something entirely more unusual.

Alan Sugar may be looking for someone with that entrepreneurial spirit.

However, does someone who has that very spirit need Alan Sugar. Would this be a contributing factor in the apparent mediocrity of the finalists. It's fine to search for quirky but as Sugar himself pointed out your man stuart is still rather immature in certain respects hilself.

Alan Sugar may be looking for someone with that entrepreneurial spirit.

However, does someone who has that very spirit need Alan Sugar.

I agree. One question I was surprised Sugar didn't ask was - if you're turning over three million, why are you here fighting for a 100,000 pound job? Perhaps Baggs does really want to learn from Sugar, or maybe there is something fishy in his claims. I look forward to finding out.

I agree. One question I was surprised Sugar didn't ask was - if you're turning over three million, why are you here fighting for a 100,000 pound job? Perhaps Baggs does really want to learn from Sugar, or maybe there is something fishy in his claims. I look forward to finding out.

This is what I was thinking. However, the girl that won last year also ran her own business but was in a position to take the job and have a sibling continue to run the business.

I think he's a director

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's disappointing now is that Stuart won't have the "You're Fired show" all to himself :( that would have been episode of the season :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The thing is, all the remaining candidates apart from Baggs are just run of the mill. Sugar can get a good sales person from anywhere, he doesn't need to use the Apprentice to find someone suitable. However, finding a 'rough diamond' like Baggs is much more difficult, and I think he will take the punt on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

There is a big difference between Turnover and profit - my company last year had a turnover of over 200 million didn't make a profit though :(

Luckycharm wrote: »
    There is a big difference between Turnover and profit - my company last year had a turnover of over 200 million didn't make a profit though :(

Indeed. Indeed, this is one of the 'fishy' things I was referring to.

And, wow, you must have some mad overheads there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Brand is an absolute hero.

In TV terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I will be shocked if Baggs doesn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyC1

Stewart deserved to stay for his entertainment value alone. Liz is hot tho so was sad to see her go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

stuart is soo annoying, i can't believe he kept him in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Best performance in the boardroom I have seen, and I have watched them all.
    He was definitely going to be fired but turned it round brilliantly and he will win if it is all true. But that is a mighty big IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭positron

Stuart should have been fired. Sugar might be a sucker for wheeler-dealer past, but how can he forget how many mistakes Stuart made and how he wound up so many people (Stella especially). I am almost certain he will be torn apart by interviewers next week.

Stella and Jamie are the top two in my opinion. The banker guy is just not there with his low base talk and everything else. Joana is actually good, but she winds up everyone, including good people, the wrong way, imho, and might be slightly weaker than Stella and Jamie in interview stages.

If it goes Stella vs Jamie - Jamie makes more mistakes, more gaffs, but is more personable, warm and comes across sincere. He might win it, just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

positron wrote: »
    Stuart should have been fired. Sugar might be a sucker for wheeler-dealer past, but how can he forget how many mistakes Stuart made and how he wound up so many people (Stella especially). I am almost certain he will be torn apart by interviewers next week.

Stella and Jamie are the top two in my opinion. The banker guy is just not there with his low base talk and everything else. Joana is actually good, but she winds up everyone, including good people, the wrong way, imho, and might be slightly weaker than Stella and Jamie in interview stages.

If it goes Stella vs Jamie - Jamie makes more mistakes, more gaffs, but is more personable, warm and comes across sincere. He might win it, just about.

Agree wholeheartedly. I had Stella and Jamie pegged for the final two from as early as the second week.

Jamie had a bit of a dip in the middle. However, he is possibly the best candidate as not only is he an astute sales person and good business mind, but he exudes loads of charisma which the others are sorely lacking.

Just thinking now - there is no comparison between the Irish and UK Apprentice shows in terms of quality of candidates! The Irish are a bunch of numpties in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭positron

Watching the Final Five last night, it's truly amazing how Stella got to where she's from the background she's from. Joana also seems to have had a bit of a nasty past. It was rather pleasing to know kids from such backgrounds can still grow up to become such capable and driven people, rather than becoming drug addicts or social menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

So he kept BrentBaggs and fired arguably the best candidate left. I see that "Lord" Sugar has embraced the madness of reality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    So he kept BrentBaggs and fired arguably the best candidate left. I see that "Lord" Sugar has embraced the madness of reality TV.

Síucra's not stupid; he knows it'll end up being well worth it to see him get crucified in the interviews :D

cson wrote: »
    Síucra's not stupid; he knows it'll end up being well worth it to see him get crucified in the interviews :D

I get the feeling there might be something in that.

He seems so shameless that he is bound to give at least one interviewer a stick to pummel him with. The sheer comedic of watching him die on his arse could make for some excellent TV.(or at least the very real possibility exists)

Haddockman wrote: »
    I will be shocked if Baggs doesn't get it.

I will be equally shocked if he does get it.

Please do not post inappropriate videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

hey! I thought episode 11 was going to be the interviews, instead it was just them going on about themselves, like we haven't heard all that already. How annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Was that not just a bonus program about the candidates, not an actual episode in the series??

For some reason the BBC has counted all the filler shows as part of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Whoops! Apologises, I thought it was being counted as a bonus episode.

Advertisement