Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC bridge mode yawn yawn :)

• 08-12-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

So I decided to return back to NTL day 1 and I'm having no end of issues with their customer service and support teams.

anyhaps.

Does anyone know how to get into the advanced tab now? I've tried all the known passwords but it seems all the "features" are disabled. I'm trying to get it into bridge mode to use with a linksys.

Is it true if you're using their phone service you have to stick with the cisco?

The wireless connection seems very slow, 30mb solid on the wire. have tried different channels etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

ntlbell wrote: »
    So I decided to return back to NTL day 1 and I'm having no end of issues with their customer service and support teams.

anyhaps.

Does anyone know how to get into the advanced tab now? I've tried all the known passwords but it seems all the "features" are disabled. I'm trying to get it into bridge mode to use with a linksys.
    Search here for "UPC Gateway"
    Should turn up the required threadws.
    Is it true if you're using their phone service you have to stick with the cisco?
    Yes and No.
    You can try to get hold of an EPC2203 Modem instead of the 2425. This will allow you to use the phone ports, however they are hard to track down. UPC are very reluctant to give them out.
    With the 2425 you will lose the phone ports if you bridge.
    The wireless connection seems very slow, 30mb solid on the wire. have tried different channels etc.
    well it's 54Mbps of wireless speed, which assumes 0 interference, etc..
    Realistically you are gonna get a hell of a lot less.. And probably not the 30Mbps.
    Depends on what you mean by slow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DemoniK wrote: »
    Search here for "UPC Gateway"
    Should turn up the required threadws.

Hey yea I read a lot of them, but the "features" that were used in previous threads seem to be disabled now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hey yea I read a lot of them, but the "features" that were used in previous threads seem to be disabled now
    looks like your only options are either double NAT (i.e. use a different subnet on the linksys, not much good for p2p, voip or gaming tho) or call and try and try and get the scientific atlanta epc2203 modem to replace the cisco epc2425 router so you can use your linksys properly.

of course, there is a possibility that now that the 100mbps is (tentatively) being launched UPC will be upping the existing packages which *might* mean changing the exiting router anyway. no guarantees on that though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like your only options are either double NAT (i.e. use a different subnet on the linksys, not much good for p2p, voip or gaming tho) or call and try and try and get the scientific atlanta epc2203 modem to replace the cisco epc2425 router so you can use your linksys properly.

of course, there is a possibility that now that the 100mbps is (tentatively) being launched UPC will be upping the existing packages which *might* mean changing the exiting router anyway. no guarantees on that though. :(

Hey vibe, thanks for that, I read about the atlanta on various threads going to call them today to see what they can do.

but if they keep the current router on the 100mb people using wireless would only be able to make use of about 20mb or so? surley they have to change to a wireless N router?

fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hey vibe, thanks for that, I read about the atlanta on various threads going to call them today to see what they can do.

but if they keep the current router on the 100mb people using wireless would only be able to make use of about 20mb or so? surley they have to change to a wireless N router?

fingers crossed!
    they HAVE to change the router if you upgrade to 100mbps as the current one is only good up to 55mbps.

the 100mbps *should* be using this router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Recently switched to UPC also have am constantly having my wireless connection drop and reconnect and find it very annoying so Im going to use the bridge mode also as I dont have phone or TV. Can anyone recommend a good wireless-N router to bridge to?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Never had any luck with the bridging mode on the Cisco, so I instead did the following with my wireless N router.

Set Cisco to 192.168.1.1
    Turned off wireless on Cisco.

Set N Router to 192.168.1.2
    Turned off DHCP on N Router.

Ran Cat 5 from switch port on Cisco to switch port on N router.

This lets me use the wireless from the N Router and all of it's features, with no interference from the Cisco, so I'm not even sure what I'd need bridging mode for now.

My house is small though, so one wireless network was able to cover everywhere, and my two routers could be beside each other.

Don't know if that's any help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

hmmm ..im going to be doing the same shortly.
    theres loads of threads about using other routers with the "cisco" . people seem to be confused about bridge mode. I must do some research to figure it out myself.

fyi, I was also told yesterday that the cisco 2425 is a rebranded sci atlanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

To select between bridge and router mode go to this page:

http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

Don't do it if you have UPC telephony as it doesn't work in bridge mode.

Advertisement