Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque fraudulently cashed - help me with the paper trail!

Options
  • 08-12-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I discovered today that a cheque intended for me from the Department of Welfare/BTEA was cashed by somebody else a month ago. It was sent to a previous address of mine.

I have a photocopy of the front and rear, the "signature" looks like it was written by a 12 year old.

I rang the issuing bank (BOI), they said it must have been cashed in a Post Office, as they need photo ID, and it would have to be lodged to an account.

The Department will reissue it, providing I can get written confirmation from the Guards that it was fraudulently cashed.

So my question is, who or where should I focus my attention. Obviously, I'll go to the Guards, and see what they say, but I'm just wondering what the procedure is. The bank seemed to suggest that the Guards would have to contact the Department to trace the cheque, yet the Department have told me to contact the Guards?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Should BOI not be able to identify exactly where and when it was cashed?
    Then when you have that info. maybe CCTV can be viewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

baldbear wrote: »
    Should BOI not be able to identify exactly where and when it was cashed?
    Then when you have that info. maybe CCTV can be viewed.

Not when it was cashed in a Post Office.

OP, you have a copy of the cheque. This is what I suggest you do. I would write to the GPO, outline the issue and request that they advise you of the location where the cheque was cashed. Enclose a copy of the cheque. I would also ask them what to provide evidence of the form of ID used during the transaction. They should be recording the details either on the back of the cheque or in writing somewhere else.

A post office that cashes Welfare cheques must be remitting same cheque somewhere and lodging same somewhere. Whilst the cheque might ultimatly end up in An Post's current account, they should be keeping a track of who is cashing what. If they cannot answer or will not answer the query you have, I can reasonable expect that you should be able to take the case to a Guard to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense. I hadn't thought of pursuing An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are welfare chqs not crossed ie they have to be paid into an account??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

An Post has an arrangement with the Social Welfare that they are allowed to cash cheques of up to a certain amount, but they're supposed to take some sort of ID when they cash them. If you're bringing it into a bank, then they have to be lodged into an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I've done some further research, it seems it was lodged to a bank account. My local BOI advised me to take the matter to the Guards, and they can then find out what account it was lodged to etc., although they also intimated that the Department should e doing the pursuing not me.

An Post told me they will cash cheques up to €1200, with photo ID, and it would be marked on the back to that effect. It wasn't marked, and on closer inspection the codes printed over the cheque looked like bank details, which led me to take it to my local bank for advice.

It was crossed &co, I don't understand why it can't be account payee only.

Hopefully the Guards will be able to chase it down, and prove I didn't cash it...

Advertisement