Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you say this in Irish?

• 08-12-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

"I wouldn't want to be famous"
    "because it would be hard to have a normal life again"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Ní bheadh mé ag iarraidh a bheith cáiliúil mar go mbeadh sé deacair a bhfuil saol gnáth arís.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Ray Foley wrote: »
    Ní bheadh mé ag iarraidh a bheith cáiliúil mar go mbeadh sé deacair a bhfuil saol gnáth arís.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Clearl wrote: »
    "I wouldn't want to be famous"
    "because it would be hard to have a normal life again"

Emm, I think its:

Ní theastódh uaim a bheith cáilúila mar bheadh sé deachair chun a bheith ag saol de gnáth arís

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Emm, I think its:

Ní theastódh uaim a bheith cáilúila mar bheadh sé deachair chun a bheith ag saol de gnáth arís

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

If you can't say it, don't say it. Try and simplify what you want to say, if you can't do that you'll just have to completely change what you want to say.

If its just oral prep, just agree with wanting to be famous. Say what you'd use you money for; What would you buy? Would you pull a Bono and save the world. Mentioning Bono would be a good way to mention an interest in music too.

Keep it simple and keep to what you know.

• Advertisement

gaeilgebeo wrote: »

Its a better attempt, he could just make the second part of the sentence a bit simpler or even say that he would have difficulties and then mention what said difficulties he would have.

My Irish isn't what it was last year though, but I think it shoud be

"Ní theastódh uaim a bheith cáilúil"

Although I've a funny feeling I'm terribly wrong :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Níor mhaith liom a bheith cáiliúil mar bheadh sé deacair filleadh ar an ngáthshaol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:confused:

Helpful responses please!

Helpful responses please!

Dare I question the helpfulness of that response for fear of the ban-hammer??

No, I think not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dare I question the helpfulness of that response for fear of the ban-hammer??

No, I think not ;)
    My Irish is not sufficiently good to attempt a translation, if that's what you mean.

Byhookorbycrook's suggestion looks good to me, but what do I know?

Now back on-topic, and helpful and relevant responses ONLY, please, lest I do have to dust off the hammer, which despite what you seem to believe I would prefer not to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Ní theastódh uaim a bheith cáiliúl
    mar bheadh sé deachair gnáth saol a caitheamh arís

as close as I can get it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

as was said, keep it simple. rasta's version is just about right. no offense byhookorbycrook, but it's EVER so slightly easier to manage than yours!

edit: although i'd change it slightly again....

níl cáil uaim, mar bheadh sé deacair....srl.

instead of the 'i wouldn't like to be famous' it says 'i don't want fame.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fringechic

ní bheadh mé ag iarraidh a bheith cáiliúil toisc go mbeadh sé deacair a bheith acu ar an saol gnáth arís.

http://translation.conveythis.com/Irish/to-English/

:D:D:D;)

Advertisement