Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College scholarships.

• 08-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

Hey :) Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum!

My brother is doing his Leaving Cert this year with the hope of going on to study Physiotherapy. I have heard that it is possible to gain sports scholarships to some colleges and I was just wondering, how does one go about doing so? I mean, what are the requirements etc.?

(My mam asked me to find this stuff out 'cause she can't use a computer! :pac:)

Thanks in advance, guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Novella wrote: »
    Hey :) Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong forum!

My brother is doing his Leaving Cert this year with the hope of going on to study Physiotherapy. I have heard that it is possible to gain sports scholarships to some colleges and I was just wondering, how does one go about doing so? I mean, what are the requirements etc.?

(My mam asked me to find this stuff out 'cause she can't use a computer! :pac:)

Thanks in advance, guys!

I guess it depends on the standard , I know a lot of colleges only accept international standard atletes for scholarships , or county standard in the case of hurling and gaelic . Hope that helps :)

http://www.ucd.ie/sport/scholarships/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Thanks a million. He does play both hurling and football at county level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Novella wrote: »
    Thanks a million. He does play both hurling and football at county level.

In that case he`s almost a sure cert , he does still have to meet the requirements for his course though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

DCU have an elite sportsperson thing as well. They look after some of them very, very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

In that case he`s almost a sure cert , he does still have to meet the requirements for his course though .

I wouldn't say he's a cert. I know people in the same position who havn't gotten scholarships. It depends on where he intends on going to college. Some colleges will have a smaller number of scholarships and others will have a very high number of applicants. In RCSI for example you have to get into the course and then apply afterwards. UCD offer two types of sports scholarships. One for exceptional athletes (usually international level) and one for other excellent athletes. You apply for these through a form. Colleges tend to send someone out to view the applicant playing one or twice.

Also what county does he play for? Playing at county level in both codes is a fantastic achievement, however being a dual star for Dublin, for example, is much more of an achievement than being a dual star for a county like Leitrim/Donegal/Laois. These counties tend to be strong in one sport with the other not strong at all.

• Advertisement

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Also what county does he play for? Playing at county level in both codes is a fantastic achievement, however being a dual star for Dublin, for example, is much more of an achievement than being a dual star for a county like Leitrim/Donegal/Laois. These counties tend to be strong in one sport with the other not strong at all.

It's Kildare that he plays for, so not great on the hurling front, but pretty good as far as football is concerned. He also was All Ireland wall ball champion when he was under-age for that. He's a bit of an all-rounder really. I think UL is the college he is most interested in at the moment.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Admissions/New_Student_Guide/Financial_Aid_-_Grants,_Scholarships_and_Prizes

Halfway down the page or so theres info on GAA scholarships. Not much though. Probably worth contacting the University to find out more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

i was offered a scholarship to NUIM last year but i didnt apply for it or anything. . .im fairly sure they just find you!

soup1 wrote: »
    i was offered a scholarship to NUIM last year but i didnt apply for it or anything. . .im fairly sure they just find you!

No harm applying. :)

soup1 wrote: »

It depends on the college/person. If your well known before you go to the college you might get offered one. Also the college mightn't have any application process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Maynooth are offering a staggering amount of rugby scholarships due to some deal with Barnhall RFC. Most players who have been offered them weren't even Senior Cup or S2 players so if anyone is half decent at rugby they should seriously consider applying for one.

Advertisement