Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Christmas

• 08-12-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what are the odds of a white christmas this year ?

Really hope not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Paddy Power are offering 11/4 against snowfall in Dublin on christmas day. That would represent a 26.66% chance of it happening. If you reckon it's more likely than that then it would be worth having a bet.

For Cork the odds are 9/2, meaning they reckon it's less than a 18% chance. The variance is interesting.

I'd love to know what some of the experts/enthusiasts on here think of those probabilities?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/weather/white-christmas-2003/White-Christmas-2010-2075953.html?force_racing_css=N

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

First of all, you have created this thread in an incorrect place, this is a weather pictures forum. MOD REQUEST: move this to the weather forum.

Just remember that for a bet to be won, at least 1 mm of snowfall must be recorded _on_ the day at an airport (Cork Airport or Dublin Airport). So it's about the snow falling on the 25th rather than snow being on the ground on the day.
    Dublin has greater chances here but I wouldn't rule out Cork entirely given that the Cork Airport is located at 502ft ASL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Sorry, just searched for White Christmas in the weather forum and this came up. Didn't notice it was in a sub-forum. And yeah, I did say the odds are for snowfall in Dublin. Obviously that's a lot less likely than for there to be residual snow on the ground.

It does sound though from what I've read in other threads that there is a reasonable chance of a winter storm the week leading up to christmas, so might have a punt on Cork at 9/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Snakey wrote: »
    Sorry, just searched for White Christmas in the weather forum and this came up.

I left that remark for the OP, not you.
    so might have a punt on Cork at 9/2.

I've put in 15 EUR for Dublin just for the fun few weeks ago, 65 EUR payout if it happens, enough for a crate of fine Polish lager & some Irish Knight for missus.

Advertisement