Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry essays

• 08-12-2010 9:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any point in learning off an essay from a revison book or is that seen as some form of cheating ? I want to learn essays but also have a few points in case something like a speech or letter to the poet comes up .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

What if the essay you learn doesnt come up? You'd have to learn a lot of essays to completely cover yourself wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Although it is extremely dodgy id say yes learn good general points maybe not the full essay but bits of it . You should be able to get it in somewhere. Thats what i plan on doing anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

If you're going to learn off an essay then make sure it's one you can twist to fit the question. You'll want to say everything you know, but at the same time you'll lose marks if it's not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

No its not a good idea. I would recommend the key notes book for english though. It went through each poet in detail and you only need to learn 4 or 5 to do the question. I did the exam last year and answered on Adrienne Rich, i studied the notes in that, practiced a few questions, gave them to my teacher and it worked out really well. I wouldn't recommend learning off an essay though because there's a chance it won't come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Wasting your time. not only if it doesn't come up, but the examiner will know you are cheating if your writing style changes throughout your paper.

Maybe if you wrote a really good introductory and closing paragraph, learn those off, and just have general ideas for the body of the essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I remember a teacher in my school was correcting LC English and was presented with an essay which he had written for a revision book, he wasn't happy to say the least...

But the poetry questions have been getting more and more specific over the years. Most of the years up unil 2008 or so had questions such as "what impact did this poet have on you" or "you have to choose poems by this poet for an anthology" whereas for example the Yeats question last year was something along the lines of "Yeats' poetry comes from the conflict of the real world and the world which he imagines." So it's likely that you could learn an essay and it will be of no use to you at all.

Advertisement