Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Bakery

Options
  • 08-12-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody tried anything from LIDLs new bakery section yet? I got a loaf earlier but not tried it yet. Expensive enough but cheaper than its competitors. The DoItYourself slicer is some scary contraption. Ill be having nightmares tonight after using it :$ Ive put this in Galway Forum cos this is where I saw it. Move if its a nationwide thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Lidl on Headford Road yeah?
    Herself was there the other day and loved it. Think she got some roll or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I was just looking at a flyer detailing the bakery stuff earlier. Looks good and it's a great idea but I thought 49c for a croissant (if I remember correctly) was a little expensive. Then again I think they cost 69c in my local shop. Must try it though. Will there be a bakery in all the Lidl stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Im just waiting for my butter to thaw a bit. The loaves do look lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Has anybody tried anything from LIDLs new bakery section yet? I got a loaf earlier but not tried it yet. Expensive enough but cheaper than its competitors. The DoItYourself slicer is some scary contraption. Ill be having nightmares tonight after using it :$ Ive put this in Galway Forum cos this is where I saw it. Move if its a nationwide thing.

their pumkin seed loaf is nice. its hard to get good quality bread at a normal price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lidl they just get better and better:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They will probably have a competition on Facebook soon to pick a name for their Bread Guillotine :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh man the apple turnovers are awesome, really fresh homemade taste to them, this thing makes the shop smell lovely aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Nice bread was always missing in LIDL -as well as nice wine. Bring good quality wine for good price and i will never go to tesco or dunnes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Great to hear that they've a bakery. It's stuff like that that's missing from Lidl's and Aldi's....Having nice extras like that. They can be so depressing to go into...Especially that Lidl in Doughiska.

Cathal01 wrote: »
    Great to hear that they've a bakery. It's stuff like that that's missing from Lidl's and Aldi's....Having nice extras like that. They can be so depressing to go into...Especially that Lidl in Doughiska.

Whats depressing about it? Less colourful packaging and lack of annoying music with : "staff call...bla bla bla" all the time from the speakers? I dont mind, its just a shop! Every time i go to dunnes i buy nothing (few small things i need which i cant get in Lidl) and i spend like 30eu there. :/
    Anybody knows if there will be bakery in that depressing one in Doughiska?

-and i enjoy that its quiet, at least i dont have headache after shopping.

• Advertisement

Well what I find depressing is that it resembles what I imagine a supermarket in Bosnia during the Bosnian War would have looked like. It's colourless and joyless. It's absolutely fine to get your groceries but grocery shopping can be an experience rather than a chore/necessity and that's where these supermarkets fail, so I welcome Lidl adding a bakery to not make it so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Well what I find depressing is that it resembles what I imagine a supermarket in Bosnia during the Bosnian War would have looked like. It's colourless and joyless. It's absolutely fine to get your groceries but grocery shopping can be an experience rather than a chore/necessity and that's where these supermarkets fail, so I welcome Lidl adding a bakery to not make it so depressing.

It's not a fcuking nightclub man. In, shop, leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The week before the bakery opened, some of the staple items that I get from Lidl increased in price by around 20%, eg:

porridge oats, were 38c, now 49c
    bread was 1.45, now 1.79
    sultantas were 99c, now 1.19

Was this caused by the bakery? I don't know.

But right now if someone asked me to choose between low prices and shopping experience, I'd take the low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Not often I agree with Justmary.

Do you really think that Dunnes or Tesco provide a better "shopping experience"? :rolleyes:
    I just dont get it - the only reason i can think of is - advertising - you may like other supermarkets more -because -you see all the "oryginal" brands around and you think they are better from some you dont know - like in lidl. Dont be fooled .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl have got rid of some good value european products that I'm guessing irish people won't buy - some cheeses, breads and certain meats.

I've also noticed a steady increase in prices. However they are still one of the cheaper supermarkets around. Do people really go grocery shopping for the 'experience' of it?

Not a fan of the bakery either, it takes up valuable shelf space.. I give it 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They will probably have a competition on Facebook soon to pick a name for their Bread Guillotine :-S

"I can't believe it's a cutter"

It has nothing to do with advertising and original brands. I'm merely pointing out that grocery shopping can be a bit more than "in,shop,leave" and grabbing all the cheapest **** that you see on the shelves. There's a whole spectrum of people like myself who being interested in food and cooking etc. prefer something a bit more in terms of grocery shopping eg. clothing, bakery, delicatessen, fresh fish counter. It's there to be enjoyed and it's completely up to the individual whether you get sucked in or not to paying more for the basic items that you can get for nothing in Lidl/Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a whole spectrum of people like myself who being interested in food and cooking etc. prefer something a bit more in terms of grocery shopping eg. clothing, bakery, delicatessen, fresh fish counter.

And I'd love to have more of a shopping experience, if the work was flowing and I could afford it.

But it's not, so I also want a bargain-basement supermarket where they don't do fancy stuff, that costs more. Lidl was like that, it saddens me that they're changing me, 'cos I might have to walk a bit further to go to Aldi instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

JustMary wrote: »

sultantas were 99c, now 1.19

Ah no - Don't tell me they're raisin the price the sultanas.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with advertising and original brands. I'm merely pointing out that grocery shopping can be a bit more than "in,shop,leave" and grabbing all the cheapest **** that you see on the shelves. There's a whole spectrum of people like myself who being interested in food and cooking etc. prefer something a bit more in terms of grocery shopping eg. clothing, bakery, delicatessen, fresh fish counter. It's there to be enjoyed and it's completely up to the individual whether you get sucked in or not to paying more for the basic items that you can get for nothing in Lidl/Aldi.

I like cooking too and to be honest -for me this would be enough if QUALITY food would be standing somewhere packed in a sacks or paper bags - all the packaging is just a rubbish we leave behind.
    Also - to "clothing experience" from Tesco or Dunnes -i say -no thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

I've just bought a few things at the bakery in the Wexford branch and they are all yummy. I love German bread and the stuff they have is excellent.
    Does anybody know if there's a bakery in any of the branches in Dublin? I live in Blackrock (near Deansgrange).
    BTW, the checkout girl in Wexford said that the bread is flying off the shelves.

You obviously never went to a supermarket in Bosnia during the war then. If there were any supermarkets still standing, then the shelves would have been completely EMPTY and there might have been a few bits of mouldy fruit.

Now do you prefer Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

What get's me is it's a german shop that doesn't do good german pretzels! What the hell.

Joyce's selling some german bakery stuff. Apparently she has a shop somewhere maybe near Goya's? Anyone seen it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You obviously never went to a supermarket in Bosnia during the war then. If there were any supermarkets still standing, then the shelves would have been completely EMPTY and there might have been a few bits of mouldy fruit.

Now do you prefer Lidl?
    Is Bosnia the new Vietnam?

You don't know because you weren't there man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

newkie wrote: »
    What get's me is it's a german shop that doesn't do good german pretzels! What the hell.

Joyce's selling some german bakery stuff. Apparently she has a shop somewhere maybe near Goya's? Anyone seen it?
    Could be from the Pretzel place on Abbeygate St opposite CP maybe.

Robbo wrote: »
    Is Bosnia the new Vietnam?

You don't know because you weren't there man.

It's the original person who obviously wasn't there.
    As a matter of fact I was, not during the war but quite soon after. I lived in Croatia and went to Bosnia many times. The shops were dark, dingy and many of them were empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Could be from the Pretzel place on Abbeygate St opposite CP maybe.

Huh, I guess I haven't been in that area for a while. Is it a relatively new place? Is it where Charcoal Grill was?

Lidl pretzels are awfull -salty as hell! I dont know how you can eat it but rolls with pumpkin seeds are nice and all the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Huh, I guess I haven't been in that area for a while. Is it a relatively new place? Is it where Charcoal Grill was?
    No its in the old Delight cafe premisies.

Advertisement