Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Bakery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

No its in the old Delight cafe premisies.

Oh right! Poor ol Delight... their sandwiches were top-notch. Aw well, another one bite the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

the shelves would have been completely EMPTY and there might have been a few bits of mouldy fruit.
    Luxurah! In mah day 'ad to grow your own mould and glue it to naner, none of this nambeh pambeh shelf mould!

Seriously though Lidl and Aldi could do with losing the communist era sovbloc decor, it's as cheap to do it right as to do it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Love the pain au chocolat.

I go to LIDL etc for a big shop to "save money" but I end up with enough groceries to feed a row of houses in a council estate... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Been in Canada for a while now, still miss Lidl.

You should see the price of food here. It's disgusting. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Xiney wrote: »

High prices?

Is everything dearer or is anything cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

does the bakery do gluten free bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

The DoItYourself slicer is some scary contraption. Ill be having nightmares tonight after using it :$ Ive put this in Galway Forum cos this is where I saw it. Move if its a nationwide thing.

Our kids call it the 'bread torture chamber'. All those wizzing circular blades do look horror film material.

its gone missing lately from the lidl in blanch already :(

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

And the bread is nothing short of dog food.

inisboffin wrote: »
    High prices?

Is everything dearer or is anything cheaper?

Just about everything is dearer. 2L of milk is around $4 (although it does last until the BB date... always found the Lidl milk went off ~2 days early, just to mess with me. And the BB date was never particularly far away at Lidl either)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Just about everything is dearer. 2L of milk is around $4 (although it does last until the BB date... always found the Lidl milk went off ~2 days early, just to mess with me. And the BB date was never particularly far away at Lidl either)
    I don't think milk that last longer is necessarily better. Think about what is in it that makes it "last" longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Think about what is in it that makes it "last" longer.

Just heat ?!:)

Nothing added, even to long-conservation milk .... just heated a certain way to kill bacteria.

Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just heat ?!:)

Nothing added, even to long-conservation milk .... just heated a certain way to kill bacteria.

Valerie

Yes, heat which also destroys all the nutrients in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes, heat which also destroys all the nutrients in the process.

Correct, milk has always been pasteurised and would only last a max of 2 days years ago. They are obviously pasteurising the crap out of it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

Correct, milk has always been pasteurised and would only last a max of 2 days years ago. They are obviously pasteurising the crap out of it nowadays.

Yes. About 10 years ago I lived in Croatia for a few months, and there the supermarket milk you bought in the afternoon would be gone off by the next morning even though it had been in the fridge. If you wanted fresh milk in the morning you had to go and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I used to deliver it, every bloody day bar sunday. We'd also get christmas and new years day off.

Twas nearly as bad as farming

I don't think milk that last longer is necessarily better. Think about what is in it that makes it "last" longer.

Actually, they don't add anything to it here, but I think their standards of refrigeration (during transportation and before sale) and cleanliness are more stringent than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh man the apple turnovers are awesome, really fresh homemade taste to them, this thing makes the shop smell lovely aswell.

I would go easy on the 'fresh' and 'homemade' in anything German!, unless of course its made by Freda (.....Freda would be a machine taking up about an acre...I have to get out more....maybe Supervalu...).

I love the apple turnovers too, but they look a bit greasy to me. I love their multi-grain squares @39cent. Love their giant pineapples and fruit & nut choco bars too. I generally bypass the unhealthy tin & jar section....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

I agree totally.........going off sooner rather than later sounds like the product has NOT gone through the ...'long shelf life process'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Golden Bucky

Has anyone else noticed Lidl being quite sneaky lately. They are telling us they are the best, they are putting forward a clean, friendly, affordable image in all their promotion and marketing material but they are not openly admitting to ripping off consumers.

I agree that Lidl, and any other supermarket for that matter, are entitled to charge as much as they like for their products but I feel quite strongly about supermarkets ripping off consumers.

Please feel free to comment if you feel I am being too harsh but I strongly disagree with supermarkets without notice or warning marginally reducing product sizes and maintaining original pricing.

Lidl have recently done this with their pumpkin-seed-bread. It has always retailed at €1.99 per loaf. It now still retails at €1.99 per loaf but Lidl have without warning and without any advertising whatsoever fractionally reduced the size of their pumpkin-seed-bread loaf. What is the difference between doing this and advertising one price at the shelf and they charging a higher price at the till?

Please give me some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Has anyone else noticed Lidl being quite sneaky lately. They are telling us they are the best, they are putting forward a clean, friendly, affordable image in all their promotion and marketing material but they are not openly admitting to ripping off consumers.

I agree that Lidl, and any other supermarket for that matter, are entitled to charge as much as they like for their products but I feel quite strongly about supermarkets ripping off consumers.

Please feel free to comment if you feel I am being too harsh but I strongly disagree with supermarkets without notice or warning marginally reducing product sizes and maintaining original pricing.

Lidl have recently done this with their pumpkin-seed-bread. It has always retailed at €1.99 per loaf. It now still retails at €1.99 per loaf but Lidl have without warning and without any advertising whatsoever fractionally reduced the size of their pumpkin-seed-bread loaf. What is the difference between doing this and advertising one price at the shelf and they charging a higher price at the till?

You want here..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

And no its not a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Does it not have the price per kg on the point of sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

seems like a tad overkill to call lidl rip off merchants for that.. both lidl and aldi offer far better value than tesco/dunnes/super value imo..

and their merchandise is usually A1

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Can you quantify the reduction in size?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact Lidl via email OP and enquire.

Btw This is normal where product size shrinks but the price remains the same or a "new and improved" version appears and the price increases.

Advertisement