Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Petrol and Diesel at Tescos Clare Hall

• 08-12-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

After the recent Greedy Government increases on both Petrol and Diesel, i just drove by Tescos Clare Hall and the Petrol and Diesel Prices have NOT gone up!

The main price board as you go in had the following:

Petrol 133.9
    Diesel 125.9 - i think

Since i'm a petrol user, i was paying more attention the petrol price.

I don't know if the price board was faulty but if anybody has filled up today in Clare Hall, you could clarify for me.

Hope this helps!

Topaz next door are charging 140.9 for petrol now, i think 130.9 for diesel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

For some reason, i avoid tesco fuel even if it is cheaper. Some bad stories. Probably do no harm but i'm not putting it near my tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

jaffa20 wrote: »
    For some reason, i avoid tesco fuel even if it is cheaper. Some bad stories. Probably do no harm but i'm not putting it near my tank.

care to eleborate ...... fuel is unloaded from big ships and pumped into big tanks and from there pumped into big god damn lorries and transported to garages across the country, there is never more than 3 days supply stored at the countries biggest port ....... your hardly suggesting tesco are selling a watered down brand of fuel......... next time you should ask for the tesco finest pump when filling , ive heard the ingredients are more superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Might check that out tomorrow, filled up at a top in kilbarrick today, their price was 135.9 which is not bad.

Then drove past the topaz in raheny they were at 142.9 at about 3pm then at about half 7 they were at 146.9!! its insane as to what they can get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

AppleGreen on the M1 last night were 130.8 for diesel and today they had gone up to 134.8.

I thought diesel only went up 2c?

Robbing bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Filled up at an emo pump today at 136.8
    Drove past many Maxol's selling at 139.8
    A few Essos at 140.8
    A few Topaz at 141.8
    And I think I saw an apple selling at 142.8 or 146.8 or something ridiculous like that.

Who pays so much for fuel?!!?!

I remember filling up last week at the pump by the quays for 129.9.
    Guess those days are gone and i've got to get used to seeing more 140c fuels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dekbhoy wrote: »
    care to eleborate ...... fuel is unloaded from big ships and pumped into big tanks and from there pumped into big god damn lorries and transported to garages across the country, there is never more than 3 days supply stored at the countries biggest port ....... your hardly suggesting tesco are selling a watered down brand of fuel......... next time you should ask for the tesco finest pump when filling , ive heard the ingredients are more superior.

Some stations use post-delivery additives for starters; also most Tesco filling stations are filthy and battered; I'd loath to think what their maintenance procedures are like.

edit: and about 40% (I think, I found the exact figure before) of all motor fuel sold in Ireland is refined in Ireland. It comes off the "big ships" as crude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Topaz say their fuel take you further...
    Is it high grade? do they add additives?
    Or is it just marketing bull ****??

I presume its the latter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

As I posted before here my old passat didn't run well on it, rough idle and poor MPG.

Filled up at a Maxol the following week and the problem went.

Others I spoke to found similar issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

care to eleborate ......
    why yes, allow me to elaborate...

surprising as it might sound, there isn't just one big ship with a pipe sticking out of it that all the fuel suppliers in ireland use and as a result different filling stations get their fuel from different sources and fuel quality can differ, sometimes significantly. i know, it's just shocking isn't it??? :eek:

additionally, some people like to read the news from time to time and don't like putting sh1tty fuel into their cars. a reputation for selling bad fuel and ruining peoples cars is something that can be hard to shake for some reason even if they do start only selling their silver labelled "finest" fuel. :rolleyes:

as someone who makes a habit of logging the exact amounts of fuel and mileage i do as well as the cost and where i got it, i can tell you with absolute certainty that where you fill up can make a significant difference to how far you get on a tankful of fuel.

PaulKK wrote: »
    As I posted before here my old passat didn't run well on it, rough idle and poor MPG.

Was it like an occassional misfire?

I filled up with cheap derv and this has been happening. I've not burned through the tank yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

johnos1984 wrote: »
    AppleGreen on the M1 last night were 130.8 for diesel and today they had gone up to 134.8.

I thought diesel only went up 2c?

Robbing bastards

Like the OP said it's 124 or 5 for diesel. The reason there's ''Robbing bastards'' out there is because people like you encourage them.

squod wrote: »
    Like the OP said it's 124 or 5 for diesel. The reason there's ''Robbing bastards'' out there is because people like you encourage them.

I filled up for 1.229 last week and haven't filled up since so you accusation is pointless ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Was it like an occassional misfire?

I filled up with cheap derv and this has been happening. I've not burned through the tank yet

More or less yea, it was even noticeable to passengers. Crap performance from it too?

I would probably put a dose of redex through on your next fill if you think you got some crap stuff, give the injectors a clean.

PaulKK wrote: »
    More or less yea, it was even noticeable to passengers. Crap performance from it too?

I would probably put a dose of redex through on your next fill if you think you got some crap stuff, give the injectors a clean.

That all sounds about right.

Will do thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Bought petrol last night in Ennis at 129.9.

Drove by the same garage this morning increased to 138.9

What happened to only 4c. A lot of garages around Limerick and Clare increased their prices the day before the budget by 4c and increased another 4c at midnight.:mad:

Absolute jokes by Garages, and they claim to make no money off fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Garages have been steadily increasing the price over the last week before the budget...now were getting screwed twice over:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Apple are also known for their ****e fuel - surprised they are charging so much for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Mc Love wrote: »
    Apple are also known for their ****e fuel - surprised they are charging so much for it

I know a lot of taxi/courier drivers wont use Apple. Esso on Dublin Rd in Drogheda was 122.9 till weekend, then went up to 124.9 on Tuesday. I use Esso fuel, car runs better and seems to average about 2mpg more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

1.27 for diesel, 1.35 (i think - i use diesel) in esso in malahide today. Quite good, up to 6c a litre cheaper for both on some service stations i spotted on way to work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Is there anyone that these garages can be reported to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Anybody heard anything, good or bad, about the spot on Collins ave opposite Kitty Kiernans there?

They only do diesel, and the last time I got it, pre-budget, was 118.9. Excellent price, and my car has been running same as normal.
    I saw a northern lorry there one day filling their underground tanks, think it all comes down from there.

I also go to the TOP on the old airport road up from Annesley there from time to time but I think they lashed up their prices this week, diesel now 129.9.
    It was never anything near that price before.
    Same though, grand diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Is there anyone that these garages can be reported to?
    Its a free market. You cant report someone for selling something more expensive than somewhere else!

Shop around like you would for anything else. If everyone did that they wouldnt be long in reducing the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I was mulling this over myself the other day, there's definitely a difference depending on where you fill up.I changed from Diesel to Petrol recently and the difference is even more pronounced.Apple is defintely not as good for MPG as Esso, but I wondered if others had found the same, it may have been done to death already, but a poll might be an idea.

in my experience, esso give the best mpg of any that i've tried.

campus are okay as they are usually cheap enough but i don't get as good mpg from them as esso, although performance in general seems to be about the same and as both are in my local area so it just depends how much cheaper campus are than esso on any given day as to where i fill up.

its been years since i used a tesco pump and i don't intend to ever use them again in future unless its a hire car. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This tries to explain the breakdown http://www.pumps.ie/viewPost.php?Post_ID=513
    2010-12-08 12:23:11
    A trio of price increasing items have hit at the same time, to push retail prices close to record levels.

Yet another tax increase, increasing world prices and a strengthening dollar are all contributiing to a estimated 1.42 retail price in the next couple of days. And as stations usually only have 3 / 4 days supply in their tanks, excpect the budget changes to take effect very quickly.

As of today the following is the price calculation for fuel

Unleaded - Cost of fuel 48c /litre, Duty/carbon levy/carbon tax 60c/litre, retail & distribtor costs & profit 10c/litre, vat 25c/litre

Total retail price = 1.429

Diesel - cost of fuel 51c/litre, taxes, levies 50c/litre, retail & distributor 10c/litre, vat 23.4c/litre, total forecourt price = 134.4

As of current world market conditions, there does not seem to be any respite and oil will continue to trade at or near current levels.

And these are AVERAGE prices, so the target is to find stations below this for best value.

as stations usually only have 3 / 4 days supply in their tanks, excpect the budget changes to take effect very quickly

That explains why the price goes up so quickly but how come when it drops it seems to take them weeks and months to work through that very expensive load of fuel they got???? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

vibe666 wrote: »
    why yes, allow me to elaborate...

surprising as it might sound, there isn't just one big ship with a pipe sticking out of it that all the fuel suppliers in ireland use and as a result different filling stations get their fuel from different sources and fuel quality can differ, sometimes significantly. i know, it's just shocking isn't it??? :eek:

additionally, some people like to read the news from time to time and don't like putting sh1tty fuel into their cars. a reputation for selling bad fuel and ruining peoples cars is something that can be hard to shake for some reason even if they do start only selling their silver labelled "finest" fuel. :rolleyes:
    as someone who makes a habit of logging the exact amounts of fuel and maileage i do as well as the cost and where i got it, i can tell you with absolute certainty that where you fill up can make a significant difference to how far you get on a tankful of fuel.

Hey vibe 666,
    as you log your mileage and where you get it,
    have you found topaz fuel gives you better mpg?
    or as another post asked is it all bull from Topaz....

benj wrote: »
    Hey vibe 666,
    as you log your mileage and where you get it,
    have you found topaz fuel gives you better mpg?
    or as another post asked is it all bull from Topaz....
    out of all my fills, only two were from topaz garages (one in phibsboro & one up in donegal), but looking at them both seem to have given the same sort of MPG as most of my esso fills so that's good.

not sure how i missed that before, but i don't really have any topaz garages on my usual driving routes so its not a regularly available choice. it looks like they're decent enough though anyway. :)

one thing worth mentioning tho is that i drive a 2.8L diesel jeep that typically only gets 20-25mpg per tankful, so i'm not your typical irish motorist in that regard. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement