Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding netgear wpn824 router to eircom netopia howto ?

• 08-12-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

hi

I'am attempting to add a Netgear WPN824 wireless router to my current eircom configuration of a netopia 2274 without any success.

i have given the netgear setup wizard the eircom account and password after it successfully detects the PPOE config and it fails without any meaningful message

has anyone successfully attempted a similar config that could pass a few pointers my way.

thanks in advance

brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you did put the netopia into Bridge mode?

Yes. This does work (though I've not used that Netgear)

Why post in the Mobile Dialup Forum though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Broadband from Midband. First time I've ever had to do that.

Why are you trying to add a router to something that is already a router? This seems like unnecessary extra work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As Jor el says above you need to choose your router! Bot the netopia and the netgear are routers so there will be a clash. you need to turn off the routing function in the netopia which will then turn it into a modem and allow the netgear to do your routing.

I presume that you got the netopia for the n functionality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

First you need to specify which router will be your main port to the internet.
    If the eircom one is still to be used as the main router then you need to set the netgear in bridged mode, turn off dhcp and repoint the gateway on the netgear to the eircom router ip (192.1685.1.254).
    From then on all your connections to the netgear will route to the eircom router and onto the net.

If you plan on using the netgear as the primary then you need to set up the ppoe, llc values, dns servers etc...have them at home and will post but someone will probably beat me to it.
    Then for the eircom router just set it to "bridging enabled".

I just did mine last week with a cisco one as I needed gigabit speeds for my NAS +media player...5 min job and you'll be sorted.

However I did use 2x homeplugs to give me the connection from the eircom router to the cisco one as both were in different rooms and I didn't have a telephone port in my room.

Advertisement