Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold shooting

Options
  • 08-12-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

how much effect does the cold have on accuracy?

tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Won't do you much good when you're shaking like crazy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Won't do you much good when you're shaking like crazy. :p

not the exact answer i was lookin for but have to say it gave me a good laugh:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - ..................... well ............... Yes, but for many long, long reasons some of which i don't fully understand. It has to do with air density, pressure, extra drag on the bullet, etc, etc.

on the higher calibers effects are not noticeable until out in the longer distances. Overall i cannot see it being an issue unless you are doing target work. If you are looking at 1 - 1.5 inches at 250 yards or so its still a hit and kill.

Don't worry yourself with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - ..................... well ............... Yes, but for many long, long reasons some of which i don't fully understand. It has to do with air density, pressure, extra drag on the bullet, etc, etc.

on the higher calibers effects are not noticeable until out in the longer distances. Overall i cannot see it being an issue unless you are doing target work. If you are looking at 1 - 1.5 inches at 250 yards or so its still a hit and kill.

Don't worry yourself with it.

i would have thought it was the opposite that with it been colder that it would be calmer thus making it easier for bullet to travel and improving accuracy.....but shows what i know:D so in the same way do i assume that hotter weather would also effect accuracy?

tommy

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i would have thought it was the opposite that with it been colder that it would be calmer thus making it easier for bullet to travel and improving accuracy

Being calm and cold has no bearing on each other. It can be roasting hot and calm and the POI will be different than if it were freezing and calm. Wind conditions and atmospheric conditions are two seperate entities that require there own set of guides.
    .....but shows what i know:D so in the same way do i assume that hotter weather would also effect accuracy?

Yes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

is there any book you could recommend that i could read on balisitics or related topics?

Forget the books. They read like stereo instructions.

Try the 6mmBR website (among others) and look up archive reports from long range shooters. Great info on FTR, F-Open, BR (fullbore and smallbore), reloading, calibers, stocks, wind readin, etc, etc.

Then more importantly GET IN TRIGGER TIME. Best teacher around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

Cold weather will not affect the accuracy of your rifle.
    It will however affect your point of impact, i.e. your zero. Any major change in temperature, up or down, from what the temperature was when you last zeroed your rifle will change its POI somewhat. How much of a change will depend on the caliber and composition of the round you are using, as well as the material and design of the rifle you are using it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I would have thought it's that the air is denser - therefore less pressure difference between the inside of the barrel and the outside when you fire, and also more resistance for the bullet going through the air afterwards.

Advertisement