Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Music , Media & performabce technolgy course

• 08-12-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi
    just really looking for opinions on this course and UL in general really:):)

Is it a good course? Is more of an arty/creative course cos i'd be more in to the technical side of things :o so just wondering is it for me :confused:

Is their alot of project work or is it more essay/exam based ?

And whats UL like in general as i'm not from Limerick so would have to move so things like Acc.,Making friends(i know no one going there) and the lecturers on the course

Really i just want the lowdown on everything lol

Anyway
    Any info would be helpful

P.S.
    i've seen the spelling mistakes in the topic heading :( can't change it lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hey I'm not in the course but my friend from back home and roomate up here loves it.

And if your more for the tech side then its deffo for you.Its pretty much an IT course,and then later on you move into the music(Not with instruments but how to work it and stuff on computers etc.)

Projects and exams I'm sure its kinda even,He does get a good few projects though.

And if anything go too UL,Its one of the greatest times you'll have.I'm about too finish my first semester and its fekcin brilliant up here!Go too plassy though as a first year as its pretty much a first year village and its the best way to make friends.I know as well your course throws allot of parties so you defo will make plenty here.

Oh and if your interested in Clubs and stuff,theres a bomb of them an everyone in them is really friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ihatethesnow

Hi
    thanks a million for your reply :)
    really like the idea of the course now just not too sure if i'll get the points:(:(

Just wondering is there many people from Cork going there ?

On acc. front looked at Plassey sounds good but tbh would prefer a ensuite lol sad i know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PokeyMcArrow

All I can say is don't expect to be playing music all the time or mixing and recording all the time.

I'm in 4th year in the course and if I had the choice I wouldn't do it again.. The majority of my year came into the course in 1st year expected to be doing nothing but playing music and recording. We got 12weeks in the recording studio in 2nd year and... that's it. The prospectus is very misleading too because all it shows is the studio and people singing and playing.

Don't get me wrong though, you will get to do some cool stuff. We've made short movies and we've learned how to use some cool software but it just isn't what anyone expected.

Yeah but due as he said above he's more into the technical side.

Honestly though go to plassy or kilmurry first.The places with ensuites are quite dry,and lack much first years.

Yeah theres quite a good few.I'm up here with 3 good friends,and theres about 6-7 I know quite well from being up here with plenty more corkonians around :L

Yeah but due as he said above he's more into the technical side.

Honestly though go to plassy or kilmurry first.The places with ensuites are quite dry,and lack much first years.

Yeah theres quite a good few.I'm up here with 3 good friends,and theres about 6-7 I know quite well from being up here with plenty more corkonians around :L.

Its mostly Munster people but I know a good few from else where too =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 PokeyMcArrow

I'm big into the technical side of it too but if by "technical side" you mean being behind the recording desk then the course isn't for you mate. You will finish the course with little understanding of how to record a band and be far less qualified than someone who just got Transition Year work experience in a studio. Actually never mind having little understanding of how to record, you'll be lucky if you are able to set up a PA system after finishing the course. It's a joke.

<end rant> :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Collins1993

Could anyone answer these questions I have?

1) Is there much difficult maths involved?
    2) Is it important to have Leaving Cert Music?
    3) Overall is it a difficult course?

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Could anyone answer these questions I have?

1) Is there much difficult maths involved?
    2) Is it important to have Leaving Cert Music?
    3) Overall is it a difficult course?

Thanks in advance...

1) The maths isn't overly hard.It's leaving cert level and if you do have problems with it there's always the maths learning centre there to help which is FREE :D I didn't go to many of my maths lectures and I thought the maths was still easy so if that's any indication of it, but everyone's different.
    2) Music is not a nescessary requirement although some idea of the theory does help a little.It can be picked up pretty fast as I got my friend to teach me.
    3) I'm only a 1st year at the moment and have only got through my 1st semester but the only thing I had problems with so far was Perceptual Systems. I'm finished with that now though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you're looking for the more technical side of things, then the course in LIT is probably more for you.

I've written a pretty expansive post over on the LIT forum about the course and it's contents up to second year. You'll find it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950363

It's so important you research what the courses are about coz often it's a case of it not being what's written on the tin.

One of my friends started first year of the MMPT and dropped out coz it wasn't what he thought it would be.

Advertisement