Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing NTSC PS1 Games.

• 08-12-2010 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Sorry in advance if this has already been dealt with on boards before.

I couldn't find much information about this and was wondering would anybody here be able to help.

I'm interested in buying Xenogears among some other PS1 games that didn't make it to Europe. American imports in particular.

I'm not interested in emulation, I prefer actual copies of the games.

So on that, would my only option be to buy a NTSC PS1 in so that I can play games like Xenogears?

If I did buy a NTSC PS1, is there anything in particular I need for it? (e.g step down transformers for the plug etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you want to collect NTSC ps1 games then you might as well just import an NTSC ps1 from the States. You'd need a step down for that one alright. Get a proper RGB scart cable for it too.

Another option, which would be half way between emulation and the real thing would be to play the disc in your PC with a ps1 emulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

That's great, thanks a lot for the help.

Aside from retro games themselves, I like to play them on their original
    console for the total experience:D

Probably going to have to splash out a little but sure what the heck!:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well if you don't want to get an NTSC console the other thing you can do is get a PAL PS1 chipped or else use a disc swapper. Works just as well. PS1 emulation is far from perfect so you are better off with the real deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The cheapest option would be to buy a NTSC PS1 from the States or Canada, which should cost feck all to be honest. The Step-Down Converter will probably cost more than buying the NTSC PS1 and shipping it tbh.

Master of the Universe

If you want to save a bit on shipping, you could import a small NTSC PSone rather than a full sized one.

Chipping would be an option, but it's far too much hassle when the consoles themselves can be had so cheap and easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Option 1 - Swap disc
    Option 2 - Import Console, swap the PSU out of a PAL PS1 (very very easy)
    Option 3 - Chip the console (easy, hard part finding a chip)

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Option 1 - Swap disc

Swap disc really shouldn't be seen as an option. It's a right pain in the arse!

I didn't know you could just swap out the PSU for a PAL one. Can you do it as easily with a PS2 by any chance? You really do hate step downs, dont you? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Swap disc really shouldn't be seen as an option. It's a right pain in the arse!

I didn't know you could just swap out the PSU for a PAL one. Can you do it as easily with a PS2 by any chance? You really do hate step downs, dont you? :D

Oh I agree, they're listed in terms of simplicity though ;) I know which option I'd be using :P

Well there are several different incarnations of the PS2's innards, and not all PSU's are compatible. But for the most part, yes it's doable alright. I do hate step-downs, I see them as a pointless step in a chain (unless of course they're really needed). When the PSU is external, or is easily swappable from a common/cheap PAL console, they're not needed imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

EnterNow wrote: »
    Option 1 - Swap disc

Option 4 - The SWAP TRICK method

I can guarantee that it will work with a PS1, I did have some difficulty trying it on a PS One (that's the slim one), but apparently it works with that one too. All you need is an original PS1 disc, an NTSC disc and an RGB scart cable (otherwise the game will be displayed in black & white). Follow this video, it will help you to do the actual disk swapping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sengoku wrote: »

It's also by far the quickest way of ruining you PS1's laser and with Sony's history of terrible lasers you shouldn't be doing it. It's also a total pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ..... with Sony's history of terrible lasers ...........

Point taken, but how does this method damage the laser?

You have to take it out while the CD is still spinning. You'll screw up the motor and when you jam the other CD in you'll more than likely scratch the lens. It's also very timing sensitive and just not worth the effort. Also I think some later models had this method disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'm thinking of importing a slim ps2, would the psu change be hard to do?

sengoku wrote: »

I can guarantee that it will work with a PS1, I did have some difficulty trying it on a PS One (that's the slim one), but apparently it works with that one too. All you need is an original PS1 disc, an NTSC disc and an RGB scart cable (otherwise the game will be displayed in black & white). Follow this video, it will help you to do the actual disk swapping.

My option 1 is the correct method of doing this, as it stops the cd spinning & switches off the laser allowing you to swap the disc without straining the system. This method requires you to remove the disc while it's spinning & being read...it's a butchers way of doing the job (no offence) & will wear out the motor very quickly.

Advertisement