Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannondale MTB Brakes etc

• 09-12-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a Cannondale M800 "Beast of the East" MTB that I picked up in the US on holidays around 1993. I like it, but it doesn't get much use, except for crap weather commuting such as now. The orginal brakes are V brakes (I think) and they're not up to much, front works kind of, back are rubbish. The cable operates directly on one side, then a cam is supposed to come into effect to pull the second side in to the rim, but it's not working properly. Not seized. I was thinking of replacing them with something a bit more modern (not discs). Does anyone know if cantilever brakes would fit straight onto the same bosses/mounts, and if so what would ye recommend ? Also the groupset is Deore LX. the thread in one of the cranks has become damaged, and is damaging my pedals in turn. Are there various different crank fittings for MTB's (as there are on Road bikes), or would modern cranks fit straight on ? Or can you buy a tap tool of some sort that would recut the correct pedal threads in the damaged crank ? (It's tight, not loose, so should hopefully be possible to recut threads). I don't know too much about MTB's (in case you hadn't guessed) so any info appreciated. Pic here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cannondale-beast-of-the-east not mine, but the same. I see it's billed as a high level BB "Trials" style bike in some places which I didn't know, but it's interesting, as I rode Motorbike Trials for 10 years, and still organise a few events for them every year. Thanks, LG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Some standard v-brakes will work fine. Deore will do the job. The cranks are most likely square taper. If the damaged thread is in the bottom bracket, they are cheap to replace, a UN54 I think will do the job. Just need to make sure the width and thread count is the same as the current. A brand new deore crankset is also very cheap, so might be worth just replacing the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'd say you have cantilever brakes as it is, do they look like the ones in the pic? is there a Y in the cable? V brakes would be a worthwhile upgrade - you may need new levers as well. I had an old bike with cantis and a cam on the front shocks for better braking - found it very annoying and fiddly, V-brakes were much better.

Advertisement