Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are chemistry degrees of any use if you wanna get into medicine?

• 09-12-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I'm half way into getting a chemistry BSc but I really like the idea of becoming a anaesthetist or even a GP because I like these kinda fields just as much as chemistry and they have insanely high salaries. I'm a creative and inventive man so I think I belong in a research lab but getting a job as a GP or anaethesist would provide some core things that I need (money and the ability to self medicate) in life and with those things provided I could do research in my own time. What are my options though? Could I get into medical school with a BSc in chemistry or would I have to go back and do another 4 year medical science course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I thought to get into Graduate Medicine all you need is a 2.1 in any course and a good score in the GAMSAT test. It doesn't matter what course you've done, as long as you received a 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Ah yeah **** you're right, in Ireland you don't need a BSc to get in. I wonder if you can skip a year or two if you've already got a BSc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

BogMonkey wrote: »
    and they have insanely high salaries.
    If this is your reason for wanting to do medicine then it's not for you.
    Ah yeah **** you're right, in Ireland you don't need a BSc to get in. I wonder if you can skip a year or two if you've already got a BSc.
    No, it's a 4-year graduate course. Everybody in your class will already have a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm half way into getting a chemistry BSc but I really like the idea of becoming a anaesthetist or even a GP because I like these kinda fields just as much as chemistry and they have insanely high salaries. I'm a creative and inventive man so I think I belong in a research lab but getting a job as a GP or anaethesist would provide some core things that I need (money and the ability to self medicate) in life and with those things provided I could do research in my own time. What are my options though? Could I get into medical school with a BSc in chemistry or would I have to go back and do another 4 year medical science course?
    O_O

You need a 2:1 in ANY degree (so it doesn't matter if you're doing chemistry or music as your degree) and a good GAMSAT score. That's it, then enough money to do the 4 year graduate course.

Buuuut although the money looks good, it costs a lot of money unless you can get money from other sources, you'll work long hours as an intern and things will be generally fairly crap for a good, long while. You really want to have your motivations for doing it well-rooted. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Yeah I'm gonna stick to chemistry. I wanna get into a research lab cuz I know I'll discover new things and do my part to drive humanity forward, technology wise. Only problem is I don't wanna have to rely on the government and other people for funding cuz lots of my ideas are be doing will be unconventional, borderline fringe science that investors won't wanna back. Private investors will only fund my projects if theres the prospect of profiting from the results of the research. For these reasons, I'll have to fund my own projects but the salary of a research chemist isn't very high. Suppose I can work as a chemist for a pharmaceutical company for a few years until I save a bit of money to invest in a steady source of income.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    You need a 2:1 in ANY degree (so it doesn't matter if you're doing chemistry or music as your degree) and a good GAMSAT score.
    Whats a 2:1? 2nd class honours grade 1?

• Advertisement
Advertisement