Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do type2 diabetics need medication?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I know type2 diabetic are still able to produce insulin, therefore they should not need any medication or insulin as long as they stay on a strict low carb diet.

I myself used to be obese and have a blood sugar between 6-7, now I'm on a strict low carb diet and lost loads of weight. I still weigh a bit too much but my bloodsugar is now between 4,5-5,5.

I would rather go low carb than having to take medication. The most logical solution for type 2 diabetics is to go low carb, don't you agree?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why do some type 1's use a lot more or less insulin than other type 1's?

I don't know anything about the various medications that type 2's may be put on myself, but fairly safe to bet that different things work better for different people and there will probably be a wide variation in their sensitivity to the insulin that they are still producing. Some people will be able to get away with just changing their diet and others won't so will need the other medication as well, or even insulin injections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My grandmother was diabetic type 2, she was on a strict diet for years and then ended up on tablets to help control her, after 20 years of that she ended up on insulin. Shes now 80+

If you find your controling it with diet then carry on but if the blood sugars start creeping up again make sure you see either your gp or your diabetic consultant.

Best of luck with you diet.

* mother of a type 1 diabetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As far as I know type2 diabetic are still able to produce insulin, therefore they should not need any medication or insulin as long as they stay on a strict low carb diet.

I myself used to be obese and have a blood sugar between 6-7, now I'm on a strict low carb diet and lost loads of weight. I still weigh a bit too much but my bloodsugar is now between 4,5-5,5.

I would rather go low carb than having to take medication. The most logical solution for type 2 diabetics is to go low carb, don't you agree?

It's not just the production of Insulin that a lot of T2DM patients will have a problem with. You will also be Insulin resistant, lose counter glucagon secretion regulation etc. It is a multi factorial disease and bringing it down to insulin secretion needs is over simplistic it.

Do you know what your glucose tolerance test results currently are, the fact that you have such low sugars would indicate that you may have been in the pre diabetic state or early metabolic syndrome but have come out of it.

Also if you do become a Type 2 diabetic, you will lose the ability to produce insulin eventually, a lot of patients just don't live that long due to other factors.

So in my own view, no, I don't agree. It depends on the patient, the factors, the possible lifestyle adjustments etc. For some people a low carb diet isn't an option with their lifestyle and energy needs. That said if this works for you, obviously keep doing it, but it won't be suitable for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I agree with CramCyle but would just like to add that the GI of a persons diet can have a big affect on their control and also exercise is one of the things that Endo's and diabetic nurses are constantly advising types 2's to do.

Exercise reduces insulin resistance for up to 24 hours. (cardio over 20 mins)

I have been told by my team that low carb isnt a healthy way to live in the long term as you body still needs carbohydrate for energy.

Dont hate me that just what I was told! :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eilo1 wrote: »
    I have been told by my team that low carb isnt a healthy way to live in the long term as you body still needs carbohydrate for energy.

+1 on that, I would be particularly worried about the effect on ketone levels as with extremely low carb diets or even no carb diets which force the body to use stored fats as an energy source, which then can lead to ketoacidosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am type two have lost a load of weight nine stone to be exact and i dont low carb i eat a healthy diet (most of the time :D ) my last hbA1c was 5.2 the previous one 5.1 so i dont think low carbing is the way,as has been said everyone is different whats good for you is not good for somebody else,my one worry abbout a lot of these regimes is people dont consult there health professionals they just go on to the internet and go i will try that always consult your health professional first.

Advertisement