Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If John Lennon had survived...

• 09-12-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

do you think he would have gone on to do great things in music/life or just been a grumpy rich old Beatle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus imagine him voicing Thomas the Tank Engine.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great things, a music producer, talant scout, and possibly a major objecter to all things xfactor and manufactured music generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Peace man :cool: \/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Probably both. They're not mutually exclusive! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Probably would've died of some mickey arse disease early in the 80's anyway. No tragedy there. Sure who'd want to remember that? John who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Let it be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

He'd still be a prick but more people would have realised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

well he made a real good start with his solo career, what with the music he was coming out with. who knows if the well would have run dry... still least he didn't end up writting the frog song or something like the other fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Would like to think he wouldn't be the 120 euro charging philitisine Mcarteney turned out to be .

I think Lennon would have maintained his decency to an extent but with Yoko Ono flogging the Lennon brand name to all and sundry..Shes in Q magazine and the like every second week Who knows...

• Advertisement

Never took to that Yoko wan myself ,jasus by her account and in her mind she reinvented the Beatles but whatever way you look at it , she sure did play a big part in fcuking them up .

John would not approve .. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

He'd be as irrelevant as Paul McCartney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You wouldn't see him without Yoko and he gradually be despises by association. probably better he died when he did

About as irrelevant as any 70 year old but the latter would probably look in better shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

what do you mean if he had survived? he did, its paul mccarthy who's dead!, conspiracy theory 101 fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He should of moved back to the UK. Plus his Jesus comments didn't help him in a country like America..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd say he'd be a recluse myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I don't think he would be forgotten, Lennon was always more interesting than McCartney- they would have continued their seperate ways.

Lets not forget JL was largely forgotten about musically when he died as the whole punk scene was kicking off. Who can imagine John Lennon trying the new romantic thing in the 80's but given Yoko onos arty tendencies it probably would have been right up her street.

The Oasis etc britpop revival of the mid 90's may have influenced a reunion type thing they may have succumbbed if the accountants worked out it was more economical to stay apart or re-unite, both would/ still are huge brands.

tbh **** knows

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He should of moved back to the UK. Plus his Jesus comments didn't help him in a country like America..
    He would have liked to return to UK ,even to vist but his great fear was that a drug conviction there would have prevented him returning to USA
    Saila wrote: »
    what do you mean if he had survived? he did, its paul mccarthy who's dead!, conspiracy theory 101 fail
    Shoeless feet on cover of Abbey Road a giveaway
    SomeFool wrote: »
    I'd say he'd be a recluse myself.
    He haad already become one but not to the extent of say Howard Hughes .The Double Fantasy was his way back into the mainstream music scene with possibly more albums to come but he still had a deep paronia that somebody ,maybe US goverment were out to get him but a scewball made sure of that .If he had drove through the gates of the building that night instead of getting out / or had a personell bodyguard with him on the night he might still be around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He would more than likely have recorded a lot of music that wasn't half as good as what he recorded with The Beatles or on his seventies solo albums. As a result of this people would be embarassed to say they like him.

Just look at Paul McCartney. Some of his solo and Wings work is as good as anything he did in The Beatles but he's judged mainly on the music he recorded in the eighties, for instance The Frog Chorus. Maybe I'm Amazed is a brilliant song but it doesn't get played on the radio a fraction as much as Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

its a tough call, I thought his early solo stuff was good before his 'break' but his comeback albums (Double Fantasy, Milk and Honey) that half the stuff was cowritten by Yoko were generally rubbish with a couple high points. McCartneys last solo album with the Fireman was actually pretty good. I think its unfair that Macca often gets criticiesd in praise of Lennon. We say what if... to the likes of Hendrix, Presley, Orbison aswell. Anyhow Ringo was the talented Beatle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Who knows what would have happened?

Lets not forget that also this date that Darrell Abbott, aka, Dimbag Darrell, the guitarist of Pantera was also murdered.

I like all kinds of music, but overall, a rather horrible day in music history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

I can't believe people are fooled by the "give peace a chance" bull****
    Lennon is one of the best songwriters ever. that i do not doubt
    But making him out to be a save the world angel is just pure bull****

He was as money grabbing as any other. He had an apartment that just had his fur coats in it. Don't be fooled by words my friends.

Amazing artist. ****head of a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

He might have had a word with Paul McCartney and saved the world from the plight that is the Frog Chorus.

Amazing an artist as he was with the Beatles, the chap had a complex that would put Bono to shame. Plenty of biographies detail his fits of anger, violence, and his self-absorbed nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

He's probably be even more shite than he was when he was offed.
    Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A bit like Micheal Jackson, he was in the musical back woods for a good few years. The guy dies and suddenly they're all on their knees in mourning and adoration. As one poster rightly said, if Lennon lived he'd be about as significant as McCartney is today. 'Imagine' achieved an iconic status as an anti-war song, other than that day his solo career was pretty uneventful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Bono would be fecked anyway. Lennon would have nabbed all his PR gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

John Lennon was duping the world into thinking he was a musical messiah so he could exploit and enslave humanity.

Mark Chapman is an assasin from the future who traveled back in time to save us from Leader Lennon. He deserves statues and the first go on our wives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

He'd have invented Tamogochis fifteen years earlier.

This would have been at the tail end of the Cold War. Proliferation of Tamogochis would have accelerated at an exponential rate in the USSR and USA, breathing life into fading hostility.

New boundaries of aggression would be drawn and the rampant overfeeding/ forgetting to feed small bird thingys would hasten our mutually assured destruction.

Thank John Lennon, Thanks very ****ing much, we'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Someone would have tried again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I always expected he'd have retired from the music industry to focus more on politics and stuff like that, basically go down the road Bono and Bob Geldof. Maybe have a comeback album in later years and work with a few other artists.

If not that then proberly in prison after snapping one night and killing Yoko Ono. She'd eventually drive him mad, i'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dotsey wrote: »
    Anyhow Ringo was the talented Beatle

Loved the line when someone asked Lennon if he agreed "that Ringo was a great drummer"? "Probably, but he's not the best drummer in the Beatles"!

One will never know but at the time of his death, I think the best was already probably behind him. Sad he became so bitter in later years, but he left behind a wonderful creative music legacy.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

John Lennon was duping the world into thinking he was a musical messiah so he could exploit and enslave humanity.

Mark Chapman is an assasin from the future who traveled back in time to save us from Leader Lennon. He deserves statues and the first go on our wives

You really think anyone is gonna to believe this?

I've been telling people this for years and all that happens me is I keep getting sectioned :mad:

Loved the line when someone asked Lennon if he agreed "that Ringo was a great drummer"? "Probably, but he's not the best drummer in the Beatles"!

The famous quote went :
    Lennon, asked if Starr was the best drummer in the world, jokingly replied, "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You really think anyone is gonna to believe this?

I've been telling people this for years and all that happens me is I keep getting sectioned :mad:

maybe we should start a website about it. people believe stuff if its on a website

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Probably would have turned into a poor black woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Surprised no-one has posted a link to Vanity Fair's unspeakably awful 'Lennon at 70!' imaginary interview that they wrote to coincide with his birthday in September.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/09/john-lennon-at-70-201009

Absolute muck

tvf:dr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

We'd have a more objective debate about who was "better" between McCartney and Lennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Lennon would also have invented dance music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement