Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bottles

Options
  • 09-12-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

We have 2 big red gas bottles and a small one, that we do not use any more, we got them ages ago, can't remember where.

Thing is how do we get our deposit back and where to return them.

The deposit for the big ones its something like €50 and is a lot of money for us.

But everywhere we asked, they were happy to take a deposit if we were buying one for the first time, they were happy to take them off our hands, but no one is happy to give the deposit back.

So where are all this deposits going????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Its a pity you can't remember where you purchased them originally, unfortunately the shops usually retain an initial deposit for the first tank/tanks and from then on you return an empty and get a filled one with no deposit. The best bet is to contact the gas company in question, explain your situation, they might agree to collect it and return a deposit but unfortunately its really the shops responsibilty. The red tanks are now anywhere from €75/€100 deposit!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Its a pity you can't remember where you purchased them originally, unfortunately the shops usually retain an initial deposit for the first tank/tanks and from then on you return an empty and get a filled one with no deposit. The best bet is to contact the gas company in question, explain your situation, they might agree to collect it and return a deposit but unfortunately its really the shops responsibilty. The red tanks are now anywhere from €75/€100 deposit!

Thanks, we had a fire a couple of years ago and all paper work is gone and since moved.

The shops say its nothing to do with them, but are happy to take the empty ones of our hands, so i suppose they can collect on them.

Someone is making a lot of money out of this:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Contact the gas company the tanks belong to and they should take them back and issue a deposit but they may tell you to deliver them or take a collection charge out of any deposit you get. The shopkeepers just want to rob your deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Contact the gas company the tanks belong to and they should take them back and issue a deposit but they may tell you to deliver them or take a collection charge out of any deposit you get. The shopkeepers just want to rob your deposit!

The company as far as i know its in Dublin.... :(

But i will try...;)

i will try to sell them to....:o

yeah someone is making a huge amount of money with this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tudlytops - I don't think anyone is making a large amount of money out of this. You need to knock that idea out of your head. Those cylinders are reinforced metal designed to hold a pressurised gas and are relatively expensive items. Hence, the need for a deposit.

If you had the original receipt (I know that you don't) or could remember the original shop, then I'm sure that you'd get your deposit back.

As you don't have either, then contact the gas company as others have suggested. Those cylinders are still the property of the gas company and they should be able to come to some arrangement with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When we moved into our current house, the previous owner kindly left two empty gas bottles behind (along with a load of other junk) and I assumed I could just take them along to any old gas supplier, return them and get the deposit on them. Wrong. Nobody was remotely interested in taking the empties, but would have been quite happy to have refilled them for me. Very odd. In the end I sneaked down to one of the places after hours and just left them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

My experiences in the UK, which may or may not be similar to Ireland..

We didnt get the full deposit back on our cylinders.. There was a deduction each year, so after 10 years or so there was no deposit to be returned. The explanation was wear and tear/replacements of bottles required..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which is obviously nonsense as the bottles are swapped each time. You might be kind to bottles. Also they last a VERY long time.

The recycling places take them, and get paid. They are valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Stick them on Adverts or Dondeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I started a thread ages ago over in the gas forum (which I now cant find). I was given a link to Calors website which states they can no longer pay for old bottles except through the original retailer but they can take them back for recycling for free. It appears this is because kegs were being stolen from outside houses and causing a health and safety issue. I cant remember the exact wording but it seems to be legal. Ill try to dig up the thread again later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

tudlytops wrote: »
    We have 2 big red gas bottles and a small one, that we do not use any more, we got them ages ago, can't remember where.

You have no receipt, and can't even remember where you got these, yet you want some shop to return a deposit that you probably never gave them in the first place. This is madness. Without receipt, you have no proof you even paid a deposit.
    tudlytops wrote: »
    yeah someone is making a huge amount of money with this :mad:

This is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I started a thread ages ago over in the gas forum (which I now cant find).
    Here is the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055826607

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So is it fair to call it a deposit then? Do you ever get it back? The other thread mentions a registration form, which I never got when I bought a gas bottle.

Who does the deposit go to - the shop or the gas company? I'd imagine it's the gas company, as they're the ones who provide, refill and reseal the containers. You can't get a bottle without someone having originally paying a "deposit". To my mind any retailer that deals with that company should be able to take back the tank, refund the deposit, and then get it back from the gas company. The gas company should know how many bottles a retailer has in stock, so the extras should be easily accounted for.

If this isn't a deposit, then they should say that outright - tell you that you have to purchase a bottle as a one off cost, then after that you can get refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

the_syco wrote: »

Cheers the-syco. Couldnt figure out where I put it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thoie wrote: »
    So is it fair to call it a deposit then? Do you ever get it back? The other thread mentions a registration form, which I never got when I bought a gas bottle.
    Without a receipt the company shouldn't have to do much... they wouldn't know if the thing was stolen or not.

Advertisement