Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken breasts

Options
  • 09-12-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some simple recipes for jazzing up the humble chicken breast. I've always just flung em into the oven or onto the pan, but I'm becoming a tad more advenurous with my cooking recently, and looking to expand my culinary horizons! I'm a novice mind, so nothing too difficult! I've already marinated one in lemon juice and sprinkled with thyme which was loverly, so anything along similar lines would be ideal.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

Here's a simple dish that's delish and simple. You'll have to make some stuff you may have never made before which could be great for your newly found adventurous ways.

Chargrilled chicken paillard on chargrilled crostini with aioli and pesto served with vine roasted cherry tomatoes. It's very fulfilling making your own pesto and aioli and there is simply no comparison in the taste. They'll keep for a few days too.

Chicken paillard, if you were wondering, is where you slit through the thick sid of the breast and go most of the way through so you can butterfly open the breast.

Simple dish that looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Try stuffing them with some mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, basil and some baby spinach. Then wrap them in parma ham and bang into the oven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mix goats cheese (the soft stuff you get in a tub) and pesto. Coat the breasts and BBQ or griddle them. It's surprsingly good!
    Chicken Kiev - very easy, HIGH nyom levels.
    Stuff em! With anything you like, easy option is Boursin. Wrap in a smoked rasher and lash in the oven. Very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you're getting adventurous, try substituting chicken thighs for the breasts.
    Grill/fry/roast with skin on.
    Soo much tastier than breasts and way cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Put chicken breast between two bits of cling film. Roll with a rolling pin to flatten it.

Dip in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs (with added salt, pepper, parmeasan and herbs).

Bake in an over. Serve with sweet potato wedges and sweet chilli or wasabi mayo (mix may with sweet chilli or wasabi). Never fails to impress, is healthy and really, really quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

I love chicken stir-fries, and its really easy, esp if you have a wok! found this recipe recently and it was lovely!
    http://www.rachelallen.co.uk/recipes_march09.html
    I didnt do the noodles, i just used straight to wok noodles, or you can use rice. I added in some chili flakes aswell. Also, if you marinade the chicken in teriyaki it makes the chicken a lot more tender.
    There are some lovely stir in sauces too which are really quick and easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Very simple way of tarting up a chicken breast is to buy one of those fajita mixes (a powder that comes in a packet), cut the breast into strips, rub in the spice mix, then bake in a hot oven until done (I'd advise against following the packet instructions for stove top cooking, as I almost choked to death on the spicy fumes when I tried it!). Whilst the chicken's cooking, fry some sliced onions, mushrooms and red/green peppers in a little oil until softened, then get 2 tortilla wraps, divide the veggies and chicken between the two (or more depending on how much chicken/veg you have), roll up, pop back into the oven for the wraps to heat through, and serve with grated cheese sprinkled over, some sour cream and salsa (out of a jar is fine).

Not exactly haute cuisine, but very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the all the replies folks. I'll get giving most of them a try over the Christmas...perfect time to try them out on family guinea pigs!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I reckon one one of the simplest ways to improve any recipe involving a chicken breast is to buy it on, rather than off, the bone.

Then follow any favourite recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

nompere wrote: »
    I reckon one one of the simplest ways to improve any recipe involving a chicken breast is to buy it on, rather than off, the bone.

Then follow any favourite recipe.

Have to agree there. Chicken on the bone is a different kettle of fish. Much more moist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement