Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial tax but not self employed.

• 09-12-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before. I had a look and couldn't find find a recent thread.
    Basically my question is this. Can I buy, tax and insure a commercial jeep without being self employed? I'm a carpenter and at the moment working in fits and starts. I've always fancied a jeep but until now I couldn't really justify owning one to myself. I'm carrying tools around in my car all the time now which as far as i know voids my Insurance not to mention its doing the car no good. If I was to buy a commercial will I be looking at having to tax and insure it privately? I can't get a straight answer out of the tax office.

Much obliged for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

If you have a VAT number yes you can or if you get a letter from your employer yes you can if not no you can not , Taxing Commercials is allot harder now ,It just means if you self employed you have to get a VAT number otherwise you can't tax the 4x4 commercial it be taxed private .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Thats not correct. I think you are getting mixed up between Crew Cabs and fully converted commercial 4x4's. Mine is a converted Hilux, no seats in the back. I bought it like that, it has commercial Tax, and I just kept on taxing it that way. A VAT number was never looked for. Now If I was to buy a passenger Hilux and then try to convert it, thats a different story.
    S'Doc
    Forgot to mention, I am insured with AXA privately, no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

With a vehicle that's new to you, no matter what type of commercial, you will be asked to prove you are a business to get commercial tax, there are several ways to prove it besides a VAT number and you will have to get a declaration signed by the guards. There's a huge long thread on this over on the motors section.

Re-taxing a vehicle you already own is a different matter and varies from council to council, some just hand the disc over, others want the proof, there's no consistency :rolleyes:

You can insure a commercial privately but you won't be covered for carrying goods, getting your tools from home to work will probably be covered but not if left in overnight, speak to your broker.

+1 for service from AXA

Thats not correct. I think you are getting mixed up between Crew Cabs and fully converted commercial 4x4's. Mine is a converted Hilux, no seats in the back. I bought it like that, it has commercial Tax, and I just kept on taxing it that way. A VAT number was never looked for. Now If I was to buy a passenger Hilux and then try to convert it, thats a different story.
    S'Doc
    Forgot to mention, I am insured with AXA privately, no problems.

Not true with the New law in you need to prove that you are either working for or have a VAT number that you will use it commercially.

I have a Land cruiser always taxed commercial by my company i changed ownership and when i went to tax after the new law i had to prove i had a VAT number or get a letter from employer saying i was using it for work.

The same can be done with twin cabs as they are classed as commercial but again you have to do either VAT number or letter from employer. And i will have to do this down the line as i am looking at buying a Hilux for work but it will be privately owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

are you sure you can get a letter from your employer saying you use for work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Thanks for the answers. Youve managed to clear up what the tax office couldnt.
    I can get a letter at the moment alright but theres almost a 100% chance that I wouldnt be able to get another next year. Would that be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Quiet you wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. Youve managed to clear up what the tax office couldnt.
    I can get a letter at the moment alright but theres almost a 100% chance that I wouldnt be able to get another next year. Would that be a problem?
    not until next year! :D

just make sure you get 12 months out of it and then see whats happening in 11 months time, who knows maybe you'll have other options. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The old man taxed a van the other day. He had to get a form stamped by the law and was asked what he did. He gave his PRSI number to yer wan in the tax office and she said it was good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Slidey wrote: »
    The old man taxed a van the other day. He had to get a form stamped by the law and was asked what he did. He gave his PRSI number to yer wan in the tax office and she said it was good enough
    would "the other day" be before or after they screwed everyone in the budget?

i thought that's when they introduced the new rules about the VAT number?

It was last week but this crap with the VAT number has been going on for the last 6 months or so

• Advertisement

a friend of mine other day was asked too get form stamped by garda and then had too get something from revenue too get it commericial tax,another friend walked in and no forms or stamps ,
    weird as it gets,sounds like playing poker at tax office

Dear Authorised Officer,

It has come to our attention that an increasing number of vehicles have changed their tax class from private to adapted goods.

Your attention is drawn to circular MT 10/2005, copy attached, which deals with this issue. It is essential that all motor tax offices follow all the guidelines laid out in this circular, in particular in relation to inspection of the vehicle and the “used for the conveyance of goods or burden in the course of trade or business” condition.

Having regard to Article 3 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 1992, which provides that a licensing authority must be satisfied that a vehicle is correctly taxed, the applicant, in particular in relation to small vans and adapted goods vehicles, should be asked for supporting documentation which can include but is not limited to:
     evidence of registration for VAT;
     a Tax Clearance Certificate;
     a commercial insurance certificate;
     a copy of their “Notice of Tax Registration Form”.

Form RF 111A Goods Declaration Form has been revised and is attached. This supersedes the previous version issued. It now requires an applicant who is applying for a vehicle to be taxed at the goods rate to provide a Revenue registration identity number to confirm that he or she has a business registered for tax purposes. All applicants should be asked to complete this form and be made aware that if the vehicle is used in any private capacity it must be taxed at the private rate. Please note the wording must not be changed on this form.

It is, of course, open to a motor tax office to seek additional documentation from the applicant if required.

Your co-operation in this matter is appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

are you sure you can get a letter from your employer saying you use for work?

Yes i had to do this only last month

interesting,as i know someone who presented a employer letter and was rejected by motortax officer,luck of the draw with these tax offices in what happens

Well i went to get the tax and they gave me a leaflet saying i need this this and this and one of the things was either a VAT number or a letter from your employer so i reckon every tax office may be different .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

regardless of the letter the form states that any personnel means you have to pay private tax. Driving to work is personnel use.

ted1 wrote: »
    regardless of the letter the form states that any personnel means you have to pay private tax. Driving to work is personnel use.

That would be debatable i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smithy83

use a cattle herd number and your pps number , plus stamped form from the law

Thanks for the response. I was only expecting one or two answers. I know that as a tradesman I fall into the category of requiring a commerical as far as the tax people go. I was just worried that if I went and got the thing I'd be stuck with something I cant drive in a few weeks or months time because of employment. They just seem to be making it as hard as possible for people to get by.

Aye, thankfully it is not really an issue for me as the GVW of my van is over 3500kg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

(There is a massive thread on this over in motors- But) I went into the Garda station and asked what the actual story is with having a Jeep / 4x4 taxed commercially and using it as normal transport - I got from 2 guards on duty ( one called the other out from whatever, for clarification) that they couldn't care less... as long as it was actually TAXED. It appears that is as far as their remit goes- when I asked what the customs side of things was ..Guards said they will impound the jeep if there is seats in the rear and taxed commercially . End of story -- There was a lot of eye rolling and kind of "we have a lot more for doing" One of them had stamp in hand ready to go, for form needed to bring to Tax office -- No questions asked. My insurer says no prob for social and domestic policy and taxed commercial -- Tax office is taking PPS numbers for the number needed on the form

Seems like its blown over a bit - anyone else agree ?

• Advertisement

Thanks man. I did the same myself and then went to the motor tax office to see what they had to say. Boils down to the Garda at the time being willing to stamp the form or not.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

ted1 wrote: »

do you have commercial ,yes or no ?

Horse1920 wrote: »
    (There is a massive thread on this over in motors- But) I went into the Garda station and asked what the actual story is with having a Jeep / 4x4 taxed commercially and using it as normal transport - I got from 2 guards on duty ( one called the other out from whatever, for clarification) that they couldn't care less... as long as it was actually TAXED. It appears that is as far as their remit goes- when I asked what the customs side of things was ..Guards said they will impound the jeep if there is seats in the rear and taxed commercially . End of story -- There was a lot of eye rolling and kind of "we have a lot more for doing" One of them had stamp in hand ready to go, for form needed to bring to Tax office -- No questions asked. My insurer says no prob for social and domestic policy and taxed commercial -- Tax office is taking PPS numbers for the number needed on the form

Seems like its blown over a bit - anyone else agree ?
    customs have always looked in rear too see if seats put back in a commercial 4x4 ,so thats always been there,one time i was stopped by customs,weather or not apply-able ,that when customs officer looked in rear of 4x4 ,that i had expensive equipment for my work plus supplies and said if you break then you own and pay too replace,the officer barely opened the door,just enough too see if seats or not:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes i have a VW Caddy. its a company van.

Advertisement