Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

• 09-12-2010 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

100Mb downstream; 7Mb upstream
    500GB monthly data transfer allowance.
    €80.00 monthly.

Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb. A connection fee of €80 applies.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/

MOD NOTE:
    Ok lads, there's already a rather large thread about UPC's caps/FUP so can we stay on topic on this thread.

Feel free to discuss it (FUP/cap) all you want here - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484124

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Ranicand wrote: »
    €80.00 monthly.

HOLY MOTHER!!

That was surprising, Ordering right now.

Thanks for the post!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

€80.00 monthly.

They dont go out of their way to make that figure available to customers do they?

Surely price, speed and cap are the three items of information that should be readily available to any potential customers?

And once again we get this idiotic statement:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb.

That is contained in the virtually illegible tab on "conditions" Did anyone in UPC ever hear of paragraphs?

And once again we find that no one in UPC knows what average means!!!
    "Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 100Mb."

To achieve such an average or course your speed can never deviate from 100Mb.

Can anyone explain why UPC print the "once off cost of €80" in very light grey? Is that a sort of "whisper" in the hope that potential customers might not notice it?

Why is up front honesty so hard for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

dub45 wrote: »

I would guess it is because they have no real competition.
    Magnet Fibre is only in a few areas.

I would guess it is because they have no real competition.
    Magnet Fibre is only in a few areas.

Honesty should not be a matter of competition. UPC are a multinational company and surely we should be entitled to the highest standards from these type of companies.

They have excellent products and customers would surely prefer to know upfront what exactly they are paying for.

What sort of company virtually greys out and displays in smaller print than the main content an extra charge? These things just dont happen someone somewhere makes these decisions. ("By the way make sure the web page displays that once of charge in smaller print than the rest - oh and lighter grey would be good too!!!!)

And these decisions display in very big print for anyone who wants to see it UPC's attitude to integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

I was under the impression that UPC were going to bump up there 30mb customers to something bigger for free like last time (well new contract etc) they did a speed upgrade?..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

about time, thought it would be 10mb up - however it's welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

dub45 wrote: »
    They dont go out of their way to make that figure available to customers do they?

Surely price, speed and cap are the three items of information that should be readily available to any potential customers?

And once again we get this idiotic statement:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is contained in the virtually illegible tab on "conditions" Did anyone in UPC ever hear of paragraphs?

And once again we find that no one in UPC knows what average means!!!

To achieve such an average or course your speed can never deviate from 100Mb.

Can anyone explain why UPC print the "once off cost of €80" in very light grey? Is that a sort of "whisper" in the hope that potential customers might not notice it?

An ISP gives all of us the option to buy a product we have been waiting years to be released to bring us somewhat in line with the rest of Europe and all you can seem to say is "the connection fee stipulation is in the wrong color" and "the conditions tab isnt formatted correctly" .... now THAT says a lot but not about UPC.

I will be ordering and tbh be happy to be supporting an ISP thats making serious moves to drag the broadband services in this country up several notches / sticking one to the nay sayers who cant seem to do much bar complain about them.

hightower1 wrote: »
    An ISP gives all of us the option to buy a product we have been waiting years to be released to bring us somewhat in line with the rest of Europe and all you can seem to say is "the connection fee stipulation is in the wrong color" and "the conditions tab isnt formatted correctly" .... now THAT says a lot but not about UPC.

I will be ordering and tbh be happy to be supporting an ISP thats making serious moves to drag the broadband services in this country up several notches / sticking one to the nay sayers who cant seem to do much bar complain about them.

I dont think anyone doubted that you would be first in line. And unfortunately for those that want to see the items I have pointed out do say a lot about UPC and their respect for clarity in respect of pricing and information that customers are entitled to.

Maybe with your remarkable insights into UPC's psychology you could tell us why a reputable company should chose to display a charge in smaller and lighter type than the rest of the page?

Irrespective of what "exciting" products a company may offer it is not absolved from honesty and integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

hightower1 wrote: »

She's not saying the product is unwelcome, she's saying UPC are far from clear, and seem to go out of their way to make customers go out of their way to find the real costs and benefits of their packages.
    IMO. That's what I'd say too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jazuz, respectfully, moderator or no moderator is it possible to avoid this endless debacle of UPC's AUP and just talk about the 100Mb service.
    I want to know about stability and quality of line, everyone here must be sick to death of this stage hearing about the AUP debate, there's a separate thread on that...

Thor, you appear to be one of the first in line, love to hear how you get on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Does anyone know what grade the free wireless router is I have a funny feeling it wont give half the 100mb speed they are promising which would actually work great for them as it will help there backhaul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hopefully they'll have a 50meg pack or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

I rang about this this morning and it's not available to me which I found pretty surprising. I have been able to get the HD+ and the 30mb package on my line so presumed that this would also be available. Actually want it more now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Does anyone know what grade the free wireless router is I have a funny feeling it wont give half the 100mb speed they are promising which would actually work great for them as it will help there backhaul
    if you get the 100mbps it'll be the thompson one they're using elsewhere, which afaik is 2.4ghz 150mbps wireless N. you still won't get the full speed over wireless but assuming there's not too much interference from neighbours it should still be pretty quick, you can realistically expect to get a susained tranfer speed of around the 60-70mbps mark.
    digiman wrote: »
    I rang about this this morning and it's not available to me which I found pretty surprising. I have been able to get the HD+ and the 30mb package on my line so presumed that this would also be available. Actually want it more now!
    surprising that a product that has so far only been rolled out in some parts of dublin isn't available in donegal? ;)
    Hopefully they'll have a 50meg pack or something similar.
    i'm thinking (guessing, but it makes sense given the info we already have) that the packages are (eventually) going to be 8mbps, 25mbps, 50mbps & 100mbps once everything is rolled out nationally and any bugs are worked out and the whole thing is stable at the higher speeds.

who knows though, maybe (if hightower1 prays enough:pac:) they'll just leave us all on the 30mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

1/2 a terabyte per month ain't that bad!

I remember when I first got Chorus BB, the highest downstream was 6Mb, now the upstream is 7Mb!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

nice one for the headsup, just placed my order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

For €80/month you could have be put on their fibre broadband extreme product (the uncapped one) at 30meg. I'd take that over the 100meg connection any day

marcbrophy wrote: »
    1/2 a terabyte per month ain't that bad!

I remember when I first got Chorus BB, the highest downstream was 6Mb, now the upstream is 7Mb!! :D
    yes, back in the good old days of no FUP/AUP when you could download as much as you wanted to. ;)
    For €80/month you could have be put on their fibre broadband extreme product (the uncapped one) at 30meg. I'd take that over the 100meg connection any day
    yeah, but imagine all the speedtests you can do at 100mbps! :D

here's the full spec of the router that you *should be* getting if you order the 100mbps. Thompson TWG870U

Thomson%20TWG870U%20router_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

the spec sheet says "up to 100mbps wireless" but other docs online seem to suggest is will do up to 300mbps or possibly even higher.

there's also bunch of stories about them releasing it with a firmware that left a second hidden wireless network permanently switched on that you couldn't change or disable that had an identical SSID & encryption on all of them when it was first released. :eek:

i say *should be* because that's what the other UPC territories have been giving out, so there's no reason for it to be any different here, unless UPC are trying to torture us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

vibe666 wrote: »
    surprising that a product that has so far only been rolled out in some parts of dublin isn't available in donegal? ;)

I live in Dublin though!!!

digiman wrote: »
    I live in Dublin though!!!
    <- you need to change your location then! :p

maybe we can get everyone who has tried and IS/ISN'T able to get it to say where they are and we can build up an availability map for the 100mbps rollout? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

does that extreme package not have the 250gb cap aswell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

apparently there will be a new wireless N router/modem with the 100mb couldn't get a model of the tech.

just seen the post above doh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nope, it's one of the options that UPC have when you exceed the 250gig limit, it's unadvertised so unfortunatley we can't link to it.

the 30mbps package is called the 'ultra' package. the 'extreme' package is what they upgrade you to if you are a 30mbps user who goes over the 250gb limit. its still 30mbps, but with no AUP, or so we thought. people recently have been saying that the extreme package still has an AUP but that its double what the ultra package is, so 500gb.

there's no real confirmation of that yet though as far as i am aware. i don't know of anyone who' downloaded more than 500gb on the extreme package so far. its an open challenge tho if someone wants to have a shot at it. :D

if it is the case tho, you'd be better off with the 100mbps package if you can get it. maybe they'll just market the 100mbps as the 'extreme' package now and just upgrade people as and when they go over the cap like they do with the lower packages?

well the idea of it was too much so i had to call and give it a go, but unsurprisingly its not available in navan yet. she said "probably the new year" after checking with someone else. every time i asked her anything she had to put me on hold to ask someone else, including when i first got through to her and asked if the 100mbps was available as she didn't even know it was out. :eek:

go go UPC sales team, yeah! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

the 30mbps package is called the 'ultra' package. the 'extreme' package is what they upgrade you to if you are a 30mbps user who goes over the 250gb limit. its still 30mbps, but with no AUP, or so we thought. people recently have been saying that the extreme package still has an AUP but that its double what the ultra package is, so 500gb.

there's no real confirmation of that yet though as far as i am aware. i don't know of anyone who' downloaded more than 500gb on the extreme package so far. its an open challenge tho if someone wants to have a shot at it. :D

if it is the case tho, you'd be better off with the 100mbps package if you can get it. maybe they'll just market the 100mbps as the 'extreme' package now and just upgrade people as and when they go over the cap like they do with the lower packages?
    i knew the difference between ultra and extreme packages i just thought i had read people posting that there was a 250gb cap on extreme.i must have just misread 500gb

if it was still 30mbps with a 250gb AUP it would still be the ultra package. :pac:

i can't say for definite, but a couple of people have posted that UPC have told them it was 500gb after they called complaining about being upgraded with no notification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

yes, back in the good old days of no FUP/AUP when you could download as much as you wanted to. ;)

There probably was a limit, but you would never be able to reach it! :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There probably was a limit, but you would never be able to reach it! :)
    before i moved my broadband to UPC (ironically, 2 months before they started enforcing the AUP/FUP) i read a lot of threads on here and asked questions about the FUP and got replies from people who had downloaded over 650gb per month on a regular basis and had no contact from UPC or any mention of an 'extreme' package and nobody that responded had ever heard of any limits at all, even with the (then) 20mbps package so my guess is, they just invented it when they started enforcing the FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Currently on the 30 mb but not getting the speeds as on wireless and pc in attic. Rang them up asking about the 100mb and the staff only got briefed today on it:confused: Currently have tv and phone with them so asked for a callback to see what deals they could do as could not see anything on their website. Asked when could I have it and they said they did not know would have to wait until I get the callback so still waiting on that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

callback received, seems to be a team who have been given clear instructions to make pre-empt any mental customers.
    lots of info about the router being wireless N so not to expect 100mb unless i upgrade my cards to N, not to expect 100mb on multiple machines at once, that 100mb needs a fast processor to receive.

fair play to them, its a new product so i'd say they are expecting lots of calls asking about it, followed by lots of support calls as to why it doesnt work...

offered an install this saturday, i changed it to monday morning so should be up and running in a few days :D

Advertisement