Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I have used sky HD boxes before and they are basically the same as the UPC HD boxes :confused:

I'm after just switching from sky to upc and in fairness upc is significantly slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote: »
    So it is ok for UPC sales staff to "misinform" potential customers so as to increase commission and in the process cost the potential customer more than they wish to pay for a service they don't want?

I never said it was ok. I said it's probably what they do.

100mb being installed as i type.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just called UPC - they have it in my area - Rathfarnham, D16.

Really want this, although cant justify it as 30MB is grand, but whats the point having latest HW at home, if your net connection isnt latest also :-) So reckon I might sacrifice my Sky HD which I really only have for the HD Sports channels, and go with the TV package as well with UPC - will still end up costing more but not as much as keeping both Sky and UPC.

Sky costs around 105EUR for every 2 months so that can go towards the UPC total package.

Argh! Decisions decisions!

Be aware you cant get sky Sports HD on UPC though and the telly box is way crapper than sky in terms of speed and usability. I'd keep my SKY if I were you. You cant get the 100mb line as part of a package either. So if you upgrade to 100 Mb @80/month and take the basic TV(€23) and SKY sports (€33 and not HD) it will cost €136. With SKY its €52.50 + €80 for the UPC broadband and €7.75 standalone charge which is a total of €140.25 so it only means an extra €4.25 for SKY SPORTS HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

RVP 11 wrote: »
    100mb being installed as i type.:cool:
    it must be working because your post already looks faster! :pac:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

anyone know if 100mb is available in the drumcondra area?

i plan to move up to dublin soon

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Well UPC have stopped me from an impulse buy there, with their website not allowing you process it online without having a digital TV package.

Latest is 80EUR online connection fee goes up to 100EUR when you try to do it via the phone.

Ill call now to see if I can go ahead with upgrading to 100MB without having to go with a TV package.

If the case, Ill stick with what I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Just put of curiosity, I have had the 30Mb package since oct last year and because the modem is in the next room I have to connect wirelessly. I have benver had speeds above 24Mb/s. Here is the latest speedtest result:
    1111734666.png

Should I get onto them or is that normal ? I also have had to have a cable tken from the front of the house over the roof and have it come in from the back. Oh and one more thing: 'I can haz fwee upgrayed?' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

suppafly wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against getting their tv package if you have sky at the moment. They tv system is sooo ****e! Maybe so people that have only been on UPC and not sky don't think so as they have not seen how much better the sky system is. The UPC one is soo incredibly slow to do anything. Even basic stuff like just pressing select to bring up the menu screen for what show it is you are currently watched. Or scrolling through to see whats on other channles is an absolute chore.

I would just go with the broadband and not change your tv as you will def want to move back after a little bit like we did after being so frustrated at how bad the upc tv didgital tv system is

Yep this is spot on, I was with sky for years and went to UPC for BB, the compression UPC use is far worse then Sky and it took me months to get used to the 80s style quality pic and the remote control is slow and fiddly.
    I went to my brothers a few weeks ago for a footy game and his Sky Hi Def was astounding. :(

Should I get onto them or is that normal ? I also have had to have a cable tken from the front of the house over the roof and have it come in from the back. Oh and one more thing: 'I can haz fwee upgrayed?' :)
    you're doing well to get that much out of the UPC router tbh. no free upgrade yet, but there *should be* news of an upgrade for 30mbps users sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Do you really need a 100mb BB connection! Well at best probably 70mb with UPC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

billyboy01 wrote: »

Seeing as I use it pretty much 24/7 then the faster the better ! Actually before getting UPC I had Smart and there was a problem where I couldn't actually conenct at all, so I used my iPhone 4 as a modem, jezz now that WAS painfully slow ! :eek:

billyboy01 wrote: »
    not according to the people who already have it. everyone that's posted here seems to be getting over 95mbps+ wired speeds so far.

vibe666 wrote: »
    not according to the people who already have it. everyone that's posted here seems to be getting over 95mbps+ wired speeds so far.
    +1

1114520901.png

32395136.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

RVP 11 wrote: »
    +1

1114520901.png

32395136.png
    what the new router like is it better than cisco epc2425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

rob808 wrote: »

Apparently a lot better. If i'm not mistaken, its also Wireless-N.

The Thomson is great, no issues at all.
    And yes it is Wireless N, Dongle Included.:cool:

i think UPC would have to consciously try very very hard to make any router worse than the epc2425. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

Is there any way around the 80 euro connection fee?

Yes, go with another BB provider.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Threaten to drop your whole UPC package, failing that beg :p

afaik the beta testers got a free install, from what i remember. bit late for that now tho, unless they extend the beta into new areas?

A poster earlier in this trail said he missed having his time capsule now with the new router in place installed by UPC.

I understand that many of the new router features such as n wireless etc are a duplicate of what the Time Capsule or Airport Extreme can do, but if you have a preference for continuing to use them, I presume its possible and straight-forward with a little configuration.

Anyone got their 100MB working via a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme and can comment on what was required? I believe you no longer connect in through the WAN port.

Laziness kicking in, and if you have your network configured the way you like, would be painful having to go through it all over again from scratch - due to UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Does anyone know whether the modem that is used for this service can be put into bridged mode, so my own router behind can do the dial / authentication and routing?!

Ok so got my 100MB installed this morning.

Overall, I have to say the experience is one of mild frustration. Im getting such a variety of inconsistent speeds both from wired and wireless connections, its a rollercoaster.

Essentially, wired connections range anywhere from 59MB up to 85MB. Wireless typically ranges from 45MB to 60MB, once hit 69MB.

I could put it down to contention rates, but looking in my area everyone seems out, so will only get worse at the day goes on and people come home :-)

One other thing is that you can connect a Time Capsule/Airport Extreme to the new router no worries, to save the hassle of network reconfig. However, as its a full featured router that UPC supply, Im convinced that some of the settings are duplications of what the Time Capsule takes care of - things like IPSec and blocking etc, so if its doing the same task twice, that might explain the not quite as expected speeds being received.

Either way, I think a day/night of testing and playing with it to find optimum settings is going to be in store for me.

Will post back up here how I get on a little later.

Sigh!

Ok think I might have it sorted now.

As I thought, some features on the UPC router were being duplicated on the Time Capsule (TC). The one that makes the biggest difference is Firewall Protection. As the TC has built in security and firewall protection, disabling this on the UPC router boosted by speed from an average of 75MB to now over 100MB! Yay!!

There are other settings too including IpSec, WAN blocking and NAT that can be disabled as they are also duplicates, but they dont make as big a difference as the firewall setting.

Anyway, getting the speeds I signed up to pay for, as for the consistency its still not there, but will keep an eye on it.

Hope this helps in case someone else was/is in the same boat.

Now for next question!!

Anyone know how to setup a static IP assignment for a device with the Thompson Gateway/Router from UPC?

From what I've been able to find out UPC in Holland have used these a lot longer than here in Ireland, so most net related postings are from Dutch folks. And from what I can make out, techy stuff such as updating IP tables by uploading a different firmware file is needed.

You know yourself, there are occasions when assigning a static IP is beneficial just even if its use is within your home network.

Seems a huge amount of hassle for such a minor request??

Also I see the DHCP lease period is 605000 - so maybe it wont expire/renew aka static?

Any bright spark on here got any ideas?? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Now for next question!!

Anyone know how to setup a static IP assignment for a device with the Thompson Gateway/Router from UPC?

From what I've been able to find out UPC in Holland have used these a lot longer than here in Ireland, so most net related postings are from Dutch folks. And from what I can make out, techy stuff such as updating IP tables by uploading a different firmware file is needed.

You know yourself, there are occasions when assigning a static IP is beneficial just even if its use is within your home network.

Seems a huge amount of hassle for such a minor request??

Also I see the DHCP lease period is 605000 - so maybe it wont expire/renew aka static?

Any bright spark on here got any ideas?? :-)

Your going to run into a lot of issues with setting up a static IP on the set up you describe seeing as you have a router connected to a router. The Thompson router will be handling DHCP functions and passing private IPs to anything connected then your own router will be attempting the same thing.

That will definitely cause headaches and poss wifi packet collision. The easiest and ideal thing to do would be to use the Thompson router only and set that to assign static IP addresses. I dont believe you can set the thompson to a bridging mode (as of yet) to allow you bypass the DHCP functions and connect your own router and have THAT handle the DHCP functions. I find the Thompson router fine compared to other N class ones I have had so adding in your own router on top of it imo will only cause more harm than good. Although you will miss out on your own side loaded router firmware if you had that functionality on your own router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is the new Thompson given to all new customers, irrespective of product?

• Advertisement

Is the new Thompson given to all new customers, irrespective of product?

No.
    100mb only.

Advertisement