Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

hightower1 wrote: »
    Your going to run into a lot of issues with setting up a static IP on the set up you describe seeing as you have a router connected to a router. The Thompson router will be handling DHCP functions and passing private IPs to anything connected then your own router will be attempting the same thing.

That will definitely cause headaches and poss wifi packet collision. The easiest and ideal thing to do would be to use the Thompson router only and set that to assign static IP addresses. I dont believe you can set the thompson to a bridging mode (as of yet) to allow you bypass the DHCP functions and connect your own router and have THAT handle the DHCP functions. I find the Thompson router fine compared to other N class ones I have had so adding in your own router on top of it imo will only cause more harm than good. Although you will miss out on your own side loaded router firmware if you had that functionality on your own router.

Thanks for the post! I agree with some of your comments and not others from my experience. I have disabled the DHCP server from the TC, so just the Thompson is dishing out IP's, and I have the TC doing the wifi, not the Thompson to avoid any wifi collision.

And overall all works well. However with the TC DHCP server off, I cant use it to assign static IP's, hence my question about whether this was possible with the Thompson.

Main reason I continue to use the TC is because it has serious functionality that the Thompson doesnt in relation to wifi - namely dual/simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands for separate wifi networks. Slower devices including mobile go on one, faster n devices on the other.

Also worth mentioning is that I have tried disabling the DHCP service on the Thompson and use the TC to issue IP's. This works, but reduces internet speed by over 10MB on every test I have done - Im guess this is due to some task replication like WAN blocking, NAT or IPSec.

So to finish off, I think Ill leave it as configured at the mo, and hope that the DHCP lease period is long enough not to cause me too many problems.

Fun and games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

RVP 11 wrote: »
    No.
    100mb only.

That seems odd / bad. Surely giving them to all customers would be better as it would save on the need for a callout in the event of an upgrade. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

paulm17781 wrote: »
    That seems odd / bad. Surely giving them to all customers would be better as it would save on the need for a callout in the event of an upgrade. :confused:
    the 80 quid you pay for the upgrade should cover it;)

paulm17781 wrote: »

As said that's why you pay €80 installation.
    When the engineer came to my home he said i was the first home install for 100Mb he'd done.
    There is no DIY install with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

u can order the thomson router with a 30MB/s connection but they charge u €80 for the router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I find the Thompson router fine compared to other N class ones I have had so adding in your own router on top of it imo will only cause more harm than good. Although you will miss out on your own side loaded router firmware if you had that functionality on your own router.
    has it got much in the way of added functionality?

if its got built in bandwidth monitoring i could be tempted away from my trusty WRT54GS and tomato when the 100mbps touches down in sunny Navan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

vibe666 wrote: »
    has it got much in the way of added functionality?

if its got built in bandwidth monitoring i could be tempted away from my trusty WRT54GS and tomato when the 100mbps touches down in sunny Navan. :)

Unfortunately not, would have been a nice edition but its not in there :(

Has anyone been able to upgrade the FW on the Thomson TWG870 used with 100mb?
    There have been security issues in holland with it.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to upgrade the FW on the Thomson TWG870 used with 100mb?
    There have been security issues in holland with it.
    afaik that was the additional hidden wifi network with no security on it which was already fixed very quickly in holland back in november before it was ever rolled out here.

unless ther'es something new out there that i didn't know about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

UPC prices in SLOVAKIA

http://www.upc.sk/rychly-internet/

120/10 for 32,26 € per month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mirec wrote: »
    UPC prices in SLOVAKIA

Do they notify customers properly about price changes in Slovakia?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

Here's what im getting

1133009872.png

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gamer_Niall

i got it today, does anyone know the default user and pass for this thomson router??

i thought it was admin and password but doesn't seem to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

mirec wrote: »
    UPC prices in SLOVAKIA

100 mb in Romania is €7.25 cents a month

http://www.upc.ro/internet/fiberpower100/

bestie wrote: »
    100 mb in Romania is €7.25 cents a month

http://www.upc.ro/internet/fiberpower100/
    in a country where the average montly wage is less than €450 it's hardly a fair comparison to Ireland. :)

EDIT: although the average in Slovakia appears to be around €750 per month.

anyone want to move to Romania? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

vibe666 wrote: »
    in a country where the average montly wage is less than €450 it's hardly a fair comparison to Ireland. :)

EDIT: although the average in Slovakia appears to be around €750 per month.

anyone want to move to Romania? :D

The Petrol is the same price as ours practically. But that's not the reason.

There are plenty of providers in Romania, especially Bucharest. So competition is fierce. Cable is king, not so much DSL etc..

You also have to taken into account there approx 23 million people. Profits are going to be greater. When speeds get to a certain level as with Japan and Korea, they start competing on price.

Romania just had their internet sorted out a long time before Ireland did. I've been going there since 2005 (g/f from there) and I felt ripped off coming home due to choice and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

I am on the 30mb package with a Scientific Atlanta modem but im getting this...

1137717139.png

Im VERY happy with my UPC service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Hi Jason/whoever, could you tell me why my house does not have broadband available and yet the house we moved from a couple years back on the same road can recieve it.

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Hi Jason/whoever, could you tell me why my house does not have broadband available and yet the house we moved from a couple years back on the same road can recieve it.

Hello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »

1137717139.png

jammy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »

1137717139.png

I would be willing to bet your running Kasperski or Avast anti virus? Seen this occur to a few family members on UPC. The anti virus is causing artificially high speeds but your not actually getting this on file transfers, disable the anti virus and re run. Sorry to burst your bubble :o

I would be willing to bet your running Kasperski or Avast anti virus? Seen this occur to a few family members on UPC. The anti virus is causing artificially high speeds but your not actually getting this on file transfers, disable the anti virus and re run. Sorry to burst your bubble :o

:pac:
    Too true.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

OK

First of all, you are correct. I am using Kaspersky Internet Security.
    (I had no idea that this screwed with the speedtest results, so cheers) :eek:

So I disabled it and ran the test again.

And again you were correct. It did produce lower results.

However, the results are still very respectable as shown below..

1146425694.png

I am running a network at home with 4 computers 2 Laptops (wireless N) 1 Voip phone and 2 Xbox 360's, a Wii, an NDS, 4 mobile phones and a Kindle.

Now obviously I do not run all of these devices at the same time. But
    usually the phone, 1 laptop, 1 Computer and both Xboxes are constantly online with no problems.

I have a mate using the same modem and router and he never has an
    hours luck with his UPC service, So I count myself lucky.

So im still a happy camper :D

So is Jason not checking this thread anymore, brilliant.

Sprrratt wrote: »
    So is Jason not checking this thread anymore, brilliant.

He may not be available.
    Send a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone who has the 30mb but weren't able to get 100mb at time of launch been able to get the 100mb yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

digiman wrote: »
    Has anyone who has the 30mb but weren't able to get 100mb at time of launch been able to get the 100mb yet?

Funny you should ask, Just got a leaflet in the door there the other day saying UPC are in my area upgrading the lines.

Rang up to check to see if it was the 100mb line business that was being installed and it is. They said it will be about 1-2 months before its done. So come march i should be able to get 100mb line!!

SWEET!!

I'm in Dundrum if anyone is interested in knowing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thor wrote: »
    Funny you should ask, Just got a leaflet in the door there the other day saying UPC are in my area upgrading the lines.

Rang up to check to see if it was the 100mb line business that was being installed and it is. They said it will be about 1-2 months before its done. So come march i should be able to get 100mb line!!

SWEET!!

I'm in Dundrum if anyone is interested in knowing!

calm down...in my area...is since august last !!
    sorry to disapoint you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

rolion wrote: »
    calm down...in my area...is since august last !!
    sorry to disapoint you.

My estate isn't that big, So i doubt they will be here for that long, My guess is they ran into problems in your estate.

Are they upgrading the lines or actually putting them in for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Upgrades started a week ago in the Carpenterstown/Castleknock area.

100Mb broadband here I come.

Advertisement