Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Is there any chance of buying the Thomson router while staying on my current 20Mb package?

I know I could buy a seperate router and use that but a one box solution to upgrading my home network would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

So surely at some point they have to introduce intermediate packages, right? The current graduation of 10-20-30-100 is pretty lopsided - there's room for another jump in there.

Checking a few other european UPC websites shows they seem to offer a 60mb step in between the lower end and the higher end - has there been any rumblings of this happening here? Thinking of switching but 100mb at 90 quid a month is way overkill for me atm. I don't want to get locked into the 30mb only for them to introduce 60mb next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

So the FUP for the 100mb package is 500GB a month... does anyone know what happens when you go over this limit? What kind of fine is imposed? Seeing as the "Extreme" 30mb package costs the same as the 100mb package....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

roast wrote: »
    So the FUP for the 100mb package is 500GB a month... does anyone know what happens when you go over this limit? What kind of fine is imposed? Seeing as the "Extreme" 30mb package costs the same as the 100mb package....

There is probably a 'Super Extreme package' in which the 100mb becomes really unlimited'

Thor wrote: »
    There is probably a 'Super Extreme package' in which the 100mb becomes really unlimited'

Probably for an insane price, which is what I'm worried about! I don't mind paying 80 quid for 100mb broadband, but I'm positive I'll go over the limit.

• Advertisement

Probably for an insane price, which is what I'm worried about! I don't mind paying 80 quid for 100mb broadband, but I'm positive I'll go over the limit.

Yeah! me too! I really don't see how 500gb is enough.

What i don't see fair is that its not carried over to the next month. Sometimes i will download a a minuscule amount one month and the next will pop over the limit.

If they want to call it a fair usage possibly and not a LIMIT!! then allow it to carry over.

Thor wrote: »
    Yeah! me too! I really don't see how 500gb is enough.

What i don't see fair is that its not carried over to the next month. Sometimes i will download a a minuscule amount one month and the next will pop over the limit.

If they want to call it a fair usage possibly and not a LIMIT!! then allow it to carry over.

I agree. I think you mentioned in another thread you're planning to get the 100mb package also? I might call UPC tomorrow about the FUP on the 100mb package, and if i find out, I'll send you a PM to let you know.

It would certainly make more sense for it to carry over. But trying to convince UPC to change policy would be like pissing into the wind.

I agree. I think you mentioned in another thread you're planning to get the 100mb package also? I might call UPC tomorrow about the FUP on the 100mb package, and if i find out, I'll send you a PM to let you know.

It would certainly make more sense for it to carry over. But trying to convince UPC to change policy would be like pissing into the wind.

Yeah please do, I'm hoping to get in within the next 2 months. At least thats what they are telling me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't forget to let the rest of us know too. ;)

i wonder if you could convince UPC to provision your own eurodocsis 3 modem so you could still use your own router for monitoring bandwidth etc. without getting stuck in NAT hell?

does anyone know if there is any kind of monitoring capability on the thompson? even snmp would do.

Yeah, the 500GB FUP isn't really ideal with such a fast connection.
    And i agree totally on the FUP not carrying over = Limits.
    Hopefully they won't enforce the FUP on 100mb connections, unitl there are plenty of them.
    Look forward to the response you get about the 100meg connection limits (ahem sorry)....FUP.

• Advertisement

So, I just gave them a call. Unfortunately its not availible in my area yet, but should be within the coming months.
    I asked about exceeding the 500GB - they do not have a solid plan in regards this yet, as no current 100mb customer has exceeded this limit so far.. (that will change soon, I'm sure ;) )

The sales team will be giving me a call within the next few days with an estimated timeframe on availibility, and also for clarification on the FUP.

Forgot to ask about the Thompson router, although I can find out myself in work.
    vibe666, whats the exact model number of the Thompson modem, do you know?

So, I just gave them a call. Unfortunately its not availible in my area yet, but should be within the coming months.
    I asked about exceeding the 500GB - they do not have a solid plan in regards this yet, as no current 100mb customer has exceeded this limit so far.. (that will change soon, I'm sure ;) )
    They haven't looked at mine so.:pac:

Forgot to ask about the Thompson router, although I can find out myself in work.
    vibe666, whats the exact model number of the Thompson modem, do you know?

Thomson TWG870U

So, about the Thomson router...

I can't find any monitoring utility on it, but heres some screenshots for anyone interested in this router/modem.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Thomson/TWG-870/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Is there any chance of buying the Thomson router while staying on my current 20Mb package?

I know I could buy a seperate router and use that but a one box solution to upgrading my home network would be preferable.

My Estate in West Tallaght is being upgraded to Broadband and phone from digital tv only. Can't justify the expense of 100 Mb package, will have to suffer with the 30:D but would gladly pay the 80 euro for this Modem if they would supply it. Anyone try requesting this yet?

paddyk wrote: »
    My Estate in West Tallaght is being upgraded to Broadband and phone from digital tv only. Can't justify the expense of 100 Mb package, will have to suffer with the 30:D but would gladly pay the 80 euro for this Modem if they would supply it. Anyone try requesting this yet?

I dont see the point to be honest. Theres better routers availible. Slap the EPC2425 into bridge mode and away you go.
    But, to answer your question, I have heard of someone who has paid the extra to get the Thomson, and they are on the 20mb package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I dont see the point to be honest. Theres better routers availible. Slap the EPC2425 into bridge mode and away you go.
    But, to answer your question, I have heard of someone who has paid the extra to get the Thomson, and they are on the 20mb package.

Thanks for the reply. I intend getting phone also, Just reading posts here,Bridging seems to cause its own problems. While I did read "The Fix", I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to sort it myself.:(

So, about the Thomson router...

I can't find any monitoring utility on it, but heres some screenshots for anyone interested in this router/modem.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Thomson/TWG-870/index.htm
    well, it's got a DMZ, so all is not lost. :)

you *should* just (in theory) be able to plug your own router's WAN port into one of the LAN ports on the thompson and then put that into the DMZ and just turn off everything else on the thompson and you *should* be hunky dory, more or less as if it was just a modem. :)

*your mileage may vary.

paddyk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I intend getting phone also, Just reading posts here,Bridging seems to cause its own problems. While I did read "The Fix", I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to sort it myself.:(

If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM, or you can add me on skype and I can help you through it. :)
    vibe666 wrote: »
    well, it's got a DMZ, so all is not lost. :)

you *should* just (in theory) be able to plug your own router's WAN port into one of the LAN ports on the thompson and then put that into the DMZ and just turn off everything else on the thompson and you *should* be hunky dory, more or less as if it was just a modem. :)

*your mileage may vary.
    ;)
    Indeed. Which is what I'd do straight away. I have a lovely TP-Link router running DD-WRT, with another 24-port gigabit switch... I'd never change it for any other router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Anyone in Cork City get the 100Mb yet?
    I was speaking to UPC a few times in the last few weeks and no-one can give me a straight answer.
    The last guy I spoke to yesterday said they're only setting it up in Dublin and it may be several months yet before its anywhere else.

I'm assuming they'll be using Enet's fibre M.A.N. which should give them plenty of points to node off from. Unless they've other plans?

Xzen wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork City get the 100Mb yet?
    I was speaking to UPC a few times in the last few weeks and no-one can give me a straight answer.
    The last guy I spoke to yesterday said they're only setting it up in Dublin and it may be several months yet before its anywhere else.

I'm assuming they'll be using Enet's fibre M.A.N. which should give them plenty of points to node off from. Unless they've other plans?

Not availible in Cork yet, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

1161352300.png

34812670.png

"upgraded" from a nice stable 30mb to 100mb connection last week,absolute ****e,94% packet loss,engineer meant to call 3 days ago to sort out,still waiting.

Above results are direct ethernet cable into Pc from modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

With the Thomson it has the ability to bond downstream channels so you should get max speed all the time on the 30Mb product.

DingDong wrote: »
    With the Thomson it has the ability to bond downstream channels so you should get max speed all the time on the 30Mb product.
    good to know, thanks DingDong.

any idea how much they're charging for it outside of the 100mbps upgrades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

I asked them if it was possible to purchase the Thomson but they were not having any of it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

vibe666 wrote: »
    good to know, thanks DingDong.

any idea how much they're charging for it outside of the 100mbps upgrades?

Dont know how much vibe. They might not sell it either as its a new modem so stocks could be low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just on hold here enquiring about the100mbps package.

They want €100 installation fee

On hold being transfered to technical department to ask what exactly they are installing for €100, cause I'm pretty sure last time, they just plugged in a router.

TheDoc wrote: »

On hold being transfered to technical department to ask what exactly they are installing for €100, cause I'm pretty sure last time, they just plugged in a router.

€80 if you order online. They charge it to make the money back for upgrading the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

TheDoc wrote: »

I got them to run a new cable around back of the house to my home office - made sure I got my money worth. They did a very good job and all was very tidy.

I do fairly regular speed tests and is always up around 95 - 105Mb speed. Was downloading some stuff from VMware earlier today and was getting it down about 11MB (note big B) per second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

For those in Cork who are interesting in 100Mb, I was speaking to a very nice Tech at UPC today. (refreshing to get some good tech-support for once)

They say they've now started the roll-out in Cork city centre. It'll be rolled out from the city center. As they do tests after each expansion it'll slowly make its way out in a radius to the rest of the City.
    So could be just a few days/weeks if you live in the CC and a bit longer in any suburbs. When it is eventually available you'll get a flyer informing you.

When you upgrade, they'll be giving you a new Thompson modem (which is a Modem & Router in one). As I have my own router (a very good Draytek), which I use for more complex things like VPN, Firewall, NAT etc I wonder what experience people are having with theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

100mb download and 7mb upload ? thats nonsensical. 7mb upload is lame for a package that gives 100mb downstream :confused: and this 500gb limit ? unlimited should be unlimited why call it unlimited and then in the small print say it is limited what a joke.

Advertisement