Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

Someone who switched to 100mb from any other pack, have they only replaced modem or did they do something else? How long it takes for Your modem\router(Thomson) to reboot? When I switch it on, it would show no Internet connection for good few minutes(I can log into router no prob., but websites won't load). And weird thing is that, download speed is as it was 30mb but upload is always around 7 Mb, only few minutes after reboot it shows >70Mb :confused: (wired connection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

it all depends on how far away you are from the upc server exchange' of which you will never get 100mb but if you are getting 70mb thats not too bad. noone ever gets the 100mb%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

zenno wrote: »
    it all depends on how far away you are from the upc server exchange' of which you will never get 100mb but if you are getting 70mb thats not too bad. noone ever gets the 100mb%.

Look back over the thread and you will find some users are getting more than 100mb.
    UPC is not over a dsl line so distance from an exchange is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

any sign of it coming to cavan - i'm stuck paying for 7mb broadband when the max speed I've ever seen me downloading at 70kb/s

:(

someday I'll see 100mb broadband

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Look back over the thread and you will find some users are getting more than 100mb.
    UPC is not over a dsl line so distance from an exchange is not an issue.

hard-core. I thought there was still some signal loss through cable. online broadband-speed tests are never correct either. i'm supposed to be on 30mb download and 5mb upload and i get these speeds on "upc speedtest" stable at 9mb d/l and "correction - 3mb/ul" and then the download speed almost at the end of the test shoots up to 120mb download lol, but my true speed downloading a file from nvidia now is 3.6mb/s which is correct. so if the people getting over 100mb are getting it from online speed-tests then the accuracy is all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

hard-core. I thought there was still some signal loss through cable.

Very little.

I have a 30mb connection which rarely drops below 29mb.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Very little.

I have a 30mb connection which rarely drops below 29mb.

yeh thats a good solid conection there you have' not much of a drop at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

i'm supposed to be on 30mb download and 5mb.
    UPC has never done a product of 30down 5 up, its 30 down and 3 up.

Also as you pointed out on your other thread that you have a 30mb extreme @ 4 a month? , they have never sold a 30mb extreme pack @42 a month, the 30 mb "regular" pack is 42 a month and the extreme (not commercially available) plan is 80eur a month. The line speeds are exactly the same as the 30down 3 up product . You seem to have confused what you pack your actually on.

hightower1 wrote: »
    UPC has never done a product of 30down 5 up, its 30 down and 3 up.

Also as you pointed out on your other thread that you have a 30mb extreme @ 4 a month? , they have never sold a 30mb extreme pack @42 a month, the 30 mb "regular" pack is 42 a month and the extreme (not commercially available) plan is 80eur a month. The line speeds are exactly the same as the 30down 3 up product . You seem to have confused what you pack your actually on.

that was a typo sorry about that but i did fix the error a while ago' thanks .

hightower1 wrote: »
    they have never sold a 30mb extreme pack @42 a month, the 30 mb "regular" pack is 42 a month and the extreme (not commercially available) plan is 80eur a month.

thanks hightower1. for the above info.

ok to clarify this to you...at first slightly over 3 years ago i got the upc 20mb d/l and i think it was 1mb upload and that was 42 euro a month' then last year upc had a deal for customers that were on the 20mb to upgrade free to the 30mb d/l and 3mb u/l speed. this is what i have now. i hope that helps in relation to you're question. this upgrade was free providing i go with another years contract with them. but i have been on 30mb now for the last year. the thing is that upc never called my package with them "extreme" it was just called upc ultra and as i said above they gave me 10mb free added to the 20mb i had for the extra years contract. it looks like some dufus accountant in there put me on the new customer base account for new extreme 30mb customers.

• Advertisement

I have 100Mb, the upload is more like 9-10Mb, i've never had less then 8Mb upload.:cool:
    The Thomson is in sync within 30-40 seconds on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Xzen wrote: »
    For those in Cork who are interesting in 100Mb, I was speaking to a very nice Tech at UPC today. (refreshing to get some good tech-support for once)

They say they've now started the roll-out in Cork city centre. It'll be rolled out from the city center. As they do tests after each expansion it'll slowly make its way out in a radius to the rest of the City.
    So could be just a few days/weeks if you live in the CC and a bit longer in any suburbs. When it is eventually available you'll get a flyer informing you.

When you upgrade, they'll be giving you a new Thompson modem (which is a Modem & Router in one). As I have my own router (a very good Draytek), which I use for more complex things like VPN, Firewall, NAT etc I wonder what experience people are having with theirs?

Has anyone actually ordered this and if so where are you based in the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

I was onto UPC last night about a disconnecting issue I was having and asked them was this available and she said it was and someone would ring me on it today.

What I'm wondering is anyone using this with the a Belkin: Powerline, its basically an ethernet cable extender excepts it routes it over the electrical cables in your house. Just wondering does this suffer much from performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

I use Belkin Gigabit Powerline F5D4076-S v2. In process to get them replaced by Belkin, as after switching from 30Mb to 100, speed increased to 37Mb, where as direct connected computer to router shows 80Mb... Weird is that LAN speed via powerline is around 380Mb(±100...). Of course, it all depends how "far away" your adapters are from each other, so hard to say, what speed you will get.

R3laX wrote: »
    I use Belkin Gigabit Powerline F5D4076-S v2. In process to get them replaced by Belkin, as after switching from 30Mb to 100, speed increased to 37Mb, where as direct connected computer to router shows 80Mb... Weird is that LAN speed via powerline is around 380Mb(±100...). Of course, it all depends how "far away" your adapters are from each other, so hard to say, what speed you will get.

As far as I know mines is not Gigabit, I think they were supposed to go up to 200Mb/s but can't remember know. Will be able to check them later. This does give me the max speed alright on the 30Mb service but I've a feeling I won't get this with the 100Mb if I decide to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Got this 100MB line in today, upload speed has been going between 8 and 9mb! Download speed is consistent 95-108 so I am quite pleased.

Girlfriend had a canary when she found out how much this costs a month (only told her when the technician left the house) no going back now... stupid bit**

She did make me cancel the Sky Sports package though. Why can't I just be happy and poor in peace? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Got this 100MB line in today, upload speed has been going between 8 and 9mb! Download speed is consistent 95-108 so I am quite pleased.

Girlfriend had a canary when she found out how much this costs a month (only told her when the technician left the house) no going back now... stupid bit**

She did make me cancel the Sky Sports package though. Why can't I just be happy and poor in peace? :mad:

I lol'd. You made my day. :D

Anywho.... PoE is all well and good, but there are quite a lot of variables with it. Its not just how "far away" the devices are from eachother, it also depends on the circuitry in the building.
    For instance..
    I have an 85mbps PoE kit which I bought just to test out the technology. In my previous house, which was at least 30-40 years old, I was getting roughly 18-24mbps across my network. Theres no doubt in my mind that the wiring in that house was dodgy. Lights blowing every week, power supplies fried etc.
    In my new apartment (only 10 years old at the most) the local network provides me with a consistent 68mbps, which is perfect for what I use it for (which is very little). Wiring is very well done in this place.

Just a little example for y'all. Homeplugs = not entirely reliable, however certainly sufficent for most peoples needs.

roast wrote: »
    I lol'd. You made my day. :D

Anywho.... PoE is all well and good, but there are quite a lot of variables with it. Its not just how "far away" the devices are from eachother, it also depends on the circuitry in the building.
    For instance..
    I have an 85mbps PoE kit which I bought just to test out the technology. In my previous house, which was at least 30-40 years old, I was getting roughly 18-24mbps across my network. Theres no doubt in my mind that the wiring in that house was dodgy. Lights blowing every week, power supplies fried etc.
    In my new apartment (only 10 years old at the most) the local network provides me with a consistent 68mbps, which is perfect for what I use it for (which is very little). Wiring is very well done in this place.

Just a little example for y'all. Homeplugs = not entirely reliable, however certainly sufficent for most peoples needs.

Appreciate the reply. I just done a quick test there now. I have the UPC Cisco modem/router and have it connected to my desktop and also a 1TB ethernet hard drive.

I ran 4 tests:

Download from Ethernet Drive to PC via Powerline: 4.5MB/s
    Download from Ethernet Drive to PC with Cat5e: 11MB/s

Download from PC to Ethernet Drive via Powerline: 3MB/s
    Download from PC to Ethernet Drive via Cat5e: 9MB/s

Ping times are possibly a bit better as well but my 30Mb/s connection has being really poor the last few days with random disconnects and packet loss of 1-2%. I will just have to ditch the powerline adapters when I get the 100Mb/s service, I'll just use them for the laptop. I wonder would it be worth getting the gigabit PoE ones instead. I'm in an apartment complex that would be no more than 10 years old.

digiman wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply. I just done a quick test there now. I have the UPC Cisco modem/router and have it connected to my desktop and also a 1TB ethernet hard drive.

I ran 4 tests:

Ping times are possibly a bit better as well but my 30Mb/s connection has being really poor the last few days with random disconnects and packet loss of 1-2%. I will just have to ditch the powerline adapters when I get the 100Mb/s service, I'll just use them for the laptop. I wonder would it be worth getting the gigabit PoE ones instead. I'm in an apartment complex that would be no more than 10 years old.

Digiman, where are you if you don't mind me askin? My connection has been poor the past 2 days, packet loss and rubbish speed!

I am in Rialto, Dublin!

Just to add, it has been grand today since I got the 100mb!

Digiman, where are you if you don't mind me askin? My connection has been poor the past 2 days, packet loss and rubbish speed!

I am in Rialto, Dublin!

Just to add, it has been grand today since I got the 100mb!

I'm in D15, yeah I'v being getting speeds of about 3Mb/s down and the same up! Symetrical line obviously!! I rang them yesterday to ask them whats going on and they told me that they would look into it and ring me back but they never did. I asked them was the 100Mb available and they said it was, I was previously told when it originally came out that it wasn't. But someone has to call me back for me to get it and this still hasn't happened. They are so frustrating but in general the service is very good and of course they have the fastest speeds available.

Also, I just told the girlfriend she can pay €5 more and I'll pay the rest!! No way I would get out Sky HD to upgrade to this!!

• Advertisement

I'm in D15, yeah I'v being getting speeds of about 3Mb/s down and the same up! Symetrical line obviously!! I rang them yesterday to ask them whats going on and they told me that they would look into it and ring me back but they never did. I asked them was the 100Mb available and they said it was, I was previously told when it originally came out that it wasn't. But someone has to call me back for me to get it and this still hasn't happened. They are so frustrating but in general the service is very good and of course they have the fastest speeds available.

Also, I just told the girlfriend she can pay €5 more and I'll pay the rest!! No way I would get out Sky HD to upgrade to this!!

Yea I hear your pain, I rang them initially to purchase the 100mb line and they were extremely awkward and said a customer service rep would call me to confirm the order... They never called..

On Monday I just did the order online and had it installed this afternoon!

I have UPC HD, its absolutely terrible! I wish I could get SKY in my apartment :(

I have UPC HD, its absolutely terrible! I wish I could get SKY in my apartment :(

Yeah, I had it originally but then moved to an apartment with a large balcony in the right direction for the dish so got one put up. So much better than UPC alright. Just the sheer amount of HD channels over UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

For people who upgraded to 100MB, have the pings gone down at all?? Im on 30MB and Ive been getting all sorts of pings between 40 and 150!:mad:

I ran 4 tests:

While they definitely would provide better bandwidth, you possibly still may have ping issues. IMO, gigabit PoE devices are not worth the money at all, especially for small apartments.

What I've done is bought a 300m reel of Cat5E cable (around 30€) and crimped a nice long cable for myself, tucked in to nooks and crannies around the skirting boards. So much cheaper and so much more reliable for larger speeds. PoE just cant compare to good old cable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

roast wrote: »
    What I've done is bought a 300m reel of Cat5E cable (around 30€) and crimped a nice long cable for myself, tucked in to nooks and crannies around the skirting boards. So much cheaper and so much more reliable for larger speeds. PoE just cant compare to good old cable. :)
    do you mind me asking where you got the cable from roast?

i'm going to be doing some proper re-wiring my home network soon but i can't seem to find anyone local who can supply the cable without charging through the nose for it and delivery from the UK pushes that up to near the irish prices i've seen.

For people who upgraded to 100MB, have the pings gone down at all?? Im on 30MB and Ive been getting all sorts of pings between 40 and 150!:mad:

My ping on 100mb on UPC test is 5ms
    On globalspeedtest it's 11ms

vibe666 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking where you got the cable from roast?

i'm going to be doing some proper re-wiring my home network soon but i can't seem to find anyone local who can supply the cable without charging through the nose for it and delivery from the UK pushes that up to near the irish prices i've seen.

Not at all. Send me a PM and I'll dig out a link for you.

Got it installed today, very fast anyway

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1194391944.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Got it installed today, very fast anyway

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1194391944.png

That bit in the corner (faster than 99% of IE )must make you feel very smug but it makes me hate you a little bit :pac:

• Advertisement

That bit in the corner (faster than 99% of IE )must make you feel very smug but it makes me hate you a little bit :pac:

I'm sure it's probably closer to 99.999% Just started a download there of 8GB, it's going to take around 10mins!!! The line below is about 3minutes of constant 13.5MB/s. Given the link speed I guess its averaging out at about 112Mb/s. Have to say fair play to UPC on this, it really is very impressive.

upc.png

Advertisement