Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

I believe a good few posts back, someone who doesn't have the UPC 100mb line was complaining saying UPC don't know what averages mean as it states the average download speed is 100mb and the average upstream is 7mb.

they were probably right, my average download is well ABOVE 100mb down and never seems to be below 8mb up!

Excellent service, my friend was boasting about their new 24mb NGB eircom line.... PPPFFFFT.... With maximum upload speed below 1mb I think its pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Folks, there is only a 500GB limit on this. You can break your limit in half a day with 100MB speed!

It's like having a Ferrari and driving it on a 1 mile stretch of road. What's the point?

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/
    (And I wouldn't put it past them to charge you the extra 3c per MB as per their terms... that's €30 for every GB you download over the 500 GB limit!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It's like having a Ferrari and driving it at top speed on a 1 mile stretch of public road.

Fixed that for you, and if you DID drive your Ferrari top speed down a public road simply because its capable of it you'd still be stopped for doing that too.

So your next question is "then why have 100mb or a fast car at all then?" ...
    Answer: In car terms then sure you cant max it out without penalties but you can accelerate like a lune from the lights and use all that power to overtake at your convenience. In bb terms it allows you to download what you want in less than that others can leaving you free to get on with other things.

I have the 100mb and I dont download any more than I did on 30 mb, Content on the next didnt magically change when I upgrded, still the same stuff out there the difference is NOW though I can download what I want / need in a fraction of the time so less time spent waiting. In short your paying for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

hightower1 wrote: »

I have the 100mb and I dont download any more than I did on 30 mb, Content on the next didnt magically change when I upgrded, still the same stuff out there the difference is NOW though I can download what I want / need in a fraction of the time so less time spent waiting. In short your paying for convenience.

I disagree. With that type of connection you would expect to be able to use offsite backups and keep everything in the cloud - but you can't in fear of breaking the limit.

Taking the car analogy again - you now have a car that is able to take part in the F1 but you can only do one lap before retiring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I disagree. With that type of connection you would expect to be able to use offsite backups and keep everything in the cloud - but you can't in fear of breaking the limit.

Remember, its residential broadband. Most common residential users won't be uploading anything to cloud databases or relying on offsite backups.

For residential use, 500GB is more then enough.... however, its still not the fabled "unlimited usage" stated by UPC...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

l'm going to try and approach this with a cool head (for once;)) and say that if i could have a ferrari for 80 quid a month but could only drive it for a mile every 30 days, i think i'd still have one. :D

everyone is different, and everyones broadband usage is different. what i would use 100mbps for might not be the same as the next guy, any more than 30mbps is currently.

looking at it realistically practically, i think UPC could have 'light use' & 'heavy use' packages for each speed bracket for people who want speed but don't necessarily plan to use their package flat out every month.

would users similar to hightower1 prefer to pay say 60 euro a month for 100mbps with a 250gb cap? or others pay 30-35 euro for say 30mbps with 120gb cap?

i don't know if enough irish net users are savvy enough to choose the right package just yet, but it might be worth looking into for UPC.

vibe666 wrote: »
    l'm going to try and approach this with a cool head (for once;)) and say that if i could have a ferrari for 80 quid a month but could only drive it for a mile every 30 days, i think i'd still have one. :D

everyone is different, and everyones broadband usage is different. what i would use 100mbps for might not be the same as the next guy, any more than 30mbps is currently.

looking at it realistically practically, i think UPC could have 'light use' & 'heavy use' packages for each speed bracket for people who want speed but don't necessarily plan to use their package flat out every month.

would users similar to hightower1 prefer to pay say 60 euro a month for 100mbps with a 250gb cap? or others pay 30-35 euro for say 30mbps with 120gb cap?

i don't know if enough irish net users are savvy enough to choose the right package just yet, but it might be worth looking into for UPC.

+1 on this. I've seen certain providers who do impose a cap (a fairly healthy one at that) and also offer an added usage bundle too (+120GB or so).
    I'd love to see that from UPC, and even from other providers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Folks, there is only a 500GB limit on this. You can break your limit in half a day with 100MB speed!

It's like having a Ferrari and driving it on a 1 mile stretch of road. What's the point?

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/
    (And I wouldn't put it past them to charge you the extra 3c per MB as per their terms... that's €30 for every GB you download over the 500 GB limit!)

I never went over the 250gb allowance on the 30mb package, so I doubt I will go over the 500gb on this package. To me, to download 500gb in 4 weeks seems a bit mad, in saying that, I don't download games or films but I do stream football matches which would never bring me over my limit.

I would love to hear from someone who has gone over their 500gb allowance and how much they have been forced to pay

i've got all goosebumps, i think i'm going to frame it. :D

hightower1.jpg

i must be mellowing out in my old age. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BUSHtheBOLLOX

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    I never went over the 250gb allowance on the 30mb package, so I doubt I will go over the 500gb on this package. To me, to download 500gb in 4 weeks seems a bit mad, in saying that, I don't download games or films but I do stream football matches which would never bring me over my limit.

I would love to hear from someone who has gone over their 500gb allowance and how much they have been forced to pay
    i done 500gb+ on the 30mb package for 2 months with 3 laptops 2 pc's and 3 xbox's almost always on ntl upgraded me to an unlimited usage package for 90euro a month,so i rang them and ordered the 100Mb for the same price they be here tomor to install it

• Advertisement

Got a letter from UPC this morning.
    As a valued customer of UPC.....love when they start like that...... my 100mb connection's upload is going from 7 Mb to 10Mb ad the price is dropping from €80 to €65 from 9TH of May.
    Magic.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Do UPC perform upgrades on saturdays?
    Already on the extreme package so might as well upgrade.

Hopefully the price drop will apply to everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

RVP 11 wrote: »
    As a valued customer of UPC.....love when they start like that...... my 100mb connection's upload is going from 7 Mb to 10Mb ad the price is dropping from €80 to €65 from 9TH of May.

That sounds like good news, I have the 100Mb as well so hopefully will get the same price decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

have to say the price decrease is great!

In regards to the 100mb package...I have it and it works great, get great uploads and downloads.

My one issue is with this "fair usage"...how are UPC getting away with calling it an "unlimited" broadband package, when it clearly isn't...breach of consumer rights there, false advertising etc, and I doubt putting it in the "terms and conditions" is not sufficient.

Also 100mb service is supposed to be congestion free, so why is the letter that is sent out when you go over said limit stating "some of our customers in your area have been experiencing a degredation in their service", surely if the package I am on is congestion free, no-one's service should be degraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I got the Good News Letter this morning too and I'm all excited. 10Mb upload and an 18.75% price reduction is just great. Better service for less money.

Funny enough the letter also tells me that I have the right to cancel or downgrade my service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if I do not agree with these changes.

Looks like they have learned from previous errors and are now taking it serious that they have to inform people (even if it's good news on this occasion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@ 65 euro, I might just have an excuse to upgrade. Does anyone know if it's for all UPC customers, new connections or for valued customers only?

Hopefully they'll start to include the 100mb service in some of the triple play bundles!

Thats awesome!

i wonder if the 9th May price change is a hint of the national rollout of 100mbps?

fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

vibe666 wrote: »
    i wonder if the 9th May price change is a hint of the national rollout of 100mbps?

fingers crossed. :)
    Sounds like it. just off the phone with UPC there and they said 100mb is available now in Limerick. @65 a month its viable for me. i need speeed!

just a quick question about networking,
    if ive this installed, and anyone is connecting wirelessly via G speed 54mb, i understand that the router will only operate at G speeds then an not n? so everyone goes down to 54mb? but does that include wired connections to the router?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Sounds like it. just off the phone with UPC there and they said 100mb is available now in Limerick. @65 a month its viable for me. i need speeed!

just a quick question about networking,
    if ive this installed, and anyone is connecting wirelessly via G speed 54mb, i understand that the router will only operate at G speeds then an not n? so everyone goes down to 54mb? but does that include wired connections to the router?

No.
    It's wireless only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

bah...

ComReg here I come, maybe even Consumer Standards Associated ;)

Anywho, 100mb service country wide would be an impressive step forward, all they need to do is make it with "no caps" at all, no "fair usage" etc :P

No.
    It's wireless only.
    and the only way to circumnavigate that would be to disable the router of the thomson and get a dual band 2.4/5ghz router in?

im asking because we'll have 2 xbox's, 2 PS3's, 4 laptops and 2 PC's, so odds are atleast 1 of them will connect wirelessly via G. damn.

and the only way to circumnavigate that would be to disable the router of the thomson and get a dual band 2.4/5ghz router in?

im asking because we'll have 2 xbox's, 2 PS3's, 4 laptops and 2 PC's, so odds are atleast 1 of them will connect wirelessly via G. damn.

Exactly.
    When one connects @ g speeds everything else can only get G speed on wireless.
    Unless you do as above.;)

enigma_b17 wrote: »
    bah...

ComReg here I come, maybe even Consumer Standards Associated ;)

Anywho, 100mb service country wide would be an impressive step forward, all they need to do is make it with "no caps" at all, no "fair usage" etc :P

while they're at it, it should be free to all households :rolleyes:

honestly, ive stopped caring about the "unlimited" thing, yea its BS as far as missleading goes, but who actually cares? i probably use close to my 250gb cap, maybe even over occasionally, and have never got a letter or billed extra or anything, and if you use over 500gb a month, a) you're one of the highest consumers of BB in the country and b) UPC probably doesnt really want you on their network anyway, so you're fortunate enough to be able to get 500gb. c) you have no choice anyway, as UPC is lightyears ahead of anyone else in Ireland. maybe you'd like a dedicated connection to HEAnet? probably only set you back 1000's a year, but who cares, you get unlimited.

if you think about what €65 go you in terms of BB a month even 5 years ago, you'd see that UPC isnt as awful as people make out.
    im fairly sure i paid close to that for my BT 3mb line @20?gb cap a month?

Agreed, i'm getting sick of all this limits nonsense.
    I realise it's not being very honest, but with the limits they are offering, i couldn't care less.
    All i know is i love UPC, especially after a price drop and upload increase.

Just called UPC to order the 100mb in my Limerick apartment. Luverly.

can i ask whereabout in limerick you are? im not in the city, but i assumed it to be available everywhere?

can i ask whereabout in limerick you are? im not in the city, but i assumed it to be available everywhere?

City center, dock road. On questioning it, its now availible in most of the city center.

i got told that it was available to anywhere that can take the 30mb package, but i was talking to a different department so its possible she wanst completely clued up as to availability. i hope its here in Castletroy.

EDIT: Upc.ie gives me a (possibly generic) tick next to everything thats available, which is everything. saying "broadband" though is vague.

• Advertisement

i got told that it was available to anywhere that can take the 30mb package, but i was talking to a different department so its possible she wanst completely clued up as to availability. i hope its here in Castletroy.

Depends on the exact area tbh. Do you have access to the 30Mb service there anyway?

Advertisement