Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

roast wrote: »
    Depends on the exact area tbh. Do you have access to the 30Mb service there anyway?
    yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    yup.

You should be eligible for the 100mb so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

actually 1 more q roast.

when you called and ordered, did you get told it would be €80 or €65 per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

actually 1 more q roast.

when you called and ordered, did you get told it would be €80 or €65 per month?
    I asked about 100mb they said it would same price as my existing broadband extreme of €80.

They also told me it wasn't in my area first and then the next guy I was speaking to said it was in my area, so might worth ringing twice to double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Had it 5 months or so? One of the first to get it the engineer that installed it said.

Wanted to note the 7mb upload is changing to a 10mb upload to take effect immediately. The 80 euro a month price tag to chage to "65 euro per month"

I think "HIGH TIME"... the product needs it. And should be a match to the 30mb which has 3mb up or 10%

10% of 100mb is 10mb so about time

My only gripe... the fair usage cap... a 20mb user paying buttons for his connection. Yet allowed 250gb per month.

Me paying big bucks gets twice that, for FIVE times the connection speed. I should be allowed 1250gb per month if the rule of thumb applied. Get a grip UPC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's actually been getting harder and harder to stay within the 250gb limit on my 30mbps as time goes on. since they introduced the 250gb limit in Jan 09, more and more stuff is available online and i'm actually having to hold back quite a bit now so moving to 100mbps is going to help quite a bit with the limit, but if i'm finding all the stuff i'm finding now to use with 30mbps, what's it going to be like in another year or so with 100mbps and all the extra stuff that is likely to appear over time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I must say the upload increase and price decrease is fantastic, I really can't see how other ISP's are going to compete as i have been seeing Integrated systems(Or something, Working on behalf of UPC) in a good few places all over Dublin.

They really are working toward bringing the 100mb service to everyone.

Most people forget the 250gb limit is per HOUSEHOLD and not user, Think about having 4 people in a house and the limit is 250gb!! That isn't going to go far.

The limit crap really doesn't make one bit of a difference to me. The fact is they say unlimited and don't mean unlimited.

If they were to say the limit was 250gb there wouldn't be argument , Lets be grateful they are at least trying to move Ireland toward respectable speeds and not sticking us will old ass lines and ****ty tech!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Thor wrote: »
    I must say the upload increase and price decrease is fantastic, I really can't see how other ISP's are going to compete as i have been seeing Integrated systems(Or something, Working on behalf of UPC) in a good few places all over Dublin.

They really are working toward bringing the 100mb service to everyone.

Most people forget the 250gb limit is per HOUSEHOLD and not user, Think about having 4 people in a house and the limit is 250gb!! That isn't going to go far.

The limit crap really doesn't make one bit of a difference to me. The fact is they say unlimited and don't mean unlimited.

If they were to say the limit was 250gb there wouldn't be argument , Lets be grateful they are at least trying to move Ireland toward respectable speeds and not sticking us will old ass lines and ****ty tech!!

In fairness though it is technically unlimited as there is no limit to the amount of data you can download if you want to.The 250gb is only a threshold, your connection won't stop working once you hit it.

However, the line I would have a problem with on their site is the one telling you not to be afraid to download again and again as there is every reason to be afraid to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

pugleon wrote: »
    Wanted to note the 7mb upload is changing to a 10mb upload to take effect immediately. The 80 euro a month price tag to chage to "65 euro per month"
    Yay, more congestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This thread is supposed to be about UPC's 100Mbps service. There is already a thread dedicated to the cap discussion, please keep it there. Also, drop all the petty sniping at each other. All OT posts removed.

• Advertisement

Hear hear! This thread was starting to get annoying!

I have an engineer booked to call over to my apartment this Saturday to set up the 100mb.
    After reading so much on the subject, I'm very curious to see what the speeds are. Im proud of the network I have set up in my apartment here, so I'm delighted to be able to get the 100mb. It will be a justifiable reason for the crazy amount of time effort and money I've put into the network here.
    Im not aware of many people in limerick who have the 100mb yet. Apart from Upcs own employees, I'm the fourth person (apparently) in the City to have it. Woop!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If this does end up being priced at €65 I'd be tempted to upgrade.

It would be tempting for €65, but what's the modem that they use like? I wouldn't want to swap my SA2203 for something like the EPC2425.

i got told that it was available to anywhere that can take the 30mb package, but i was talking to a different department so its possible she wanst completely clued up as to availability. i hope its here in Castletroy.
    i think he just meant that in the enabled areas anyone who can get 30 can get 100, so cork, galway, limerick & dublin only for now.

just called and asked about navan and nothing so far (currently have 30mbps) but he said there will be news in the next few weeks and expects it 'very soon' although that does seem to have been the default response to the 'when is it going to be available?' question since ntl were initially rolling it out their cable broadband in dublin all those years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

jor el wrote: »
    It would be tempting for €65, but what's the modem that they use like? I wouldn't want to swap my SA2203 for something like the EPC2425.

They use a Thompson TWG870U modem/router combo. You will find technical details here...

http://www.broadbandnetworks.ch/files/pdfs/techni-datenblatt-twg870-e.pdf

I, like you, eventually got away from the dreaded Cisco EPC2425 and now have the Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem with my own Asus RT-N56U simultaneous dual band n router. It's one hell of a router. My signal hasn't dropped since i changed over a month ago, whereas with the EPC2425 I used to get disconnected daily.

The Thompson isn't that bad apparently, anyone that has used it sayes it's a lot better & more stable than the Cisco. UPC are comming on Monday to install the 100meg in my house in Castletroy. I asked them had they a modem only they could use instead of the Thompson but they said they only have the Thompson combo.

In the last month I've installed a CAT6 network throughout the house. Every bedroom, kitchen, sitting room, even the utility (for future boiler upgrade) has a CAT6 socket now returning to a 24 port switch in the sitting room. You just can't beat copper. It's so good. Recommend it to anyone that is having wifi issues.
    So I'm not too worried about the wifi in the house now as all 5 of use use ethernet mainly on laptops & desktops and only use the wifi for our phones etc, so there isn't as much demand as before.

Will be very interested to see how you get on with the 100Mb service and the new router. I'm not too worried about Wifi, as I go for Ethernet to connect my main PC anyway. Only the phone and media player use Wifi, and that's not even very often.

I had a Thomson DSL modem/router a while back. It was absolutely the worst piece of crap I've ever used (worse than Belkin, seriously), so it'll be interesting to see reports on how this one fares.

The Thomson TWG870U router is excellent.
    No issues whatsoever, and very configurable too.:D

jor el wrote: »

The modem they're giving out for the 100mb package is the Thomson TWG870U. Wireless-N, gigabit ethernet etc. I have a snazzy router myself, so I won't really be using the Thomson, but I'll be running it through its paces for the first few days anyway just to see what its like, and I'll post some info back here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

UPC almost caused me to have a stroke yesterday, they sent me a letter baring only good news,

The letter started with the valued customer rubbish but then they said they are going to reduce the price of my 100mb line to 65euro from the 9th May.

Not only that, they are upgrading the upstream speed to 10mb (which in fairness I am pretty much getting around 9mb anytime during the day!

Happy Days!

Just to add, I still have not been charged the 80 connection charge! Dunno what's the story with that!

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Just to add, I still have not been charged the 80 connection charge! Dunno what's the story with that!
    if you send a PM to DingDong, he can make sure they fix that for you. :pac:

• Advertisement

Got the 100Mb installed on Saturday

Speed is excellent. I'm getting a solid >90Mb, and usually ~10Mb upload. Happy with that.

Not entirely happy with this Thomson modem though! No bridge mode. DMZ doesn't work properly. VERY limited number of Port Forwarding rules (which pisses me off seeing as I can't set it to Gateway mode either). Nigh-on impossible to reset (loops, doesn't reset until the fourth or fifth time I attempt it). Disabling the DHCP on the modem caused it to totally reboot for me.... twice. Very strange.

I found a workaround as a bridge mode. I'll be attempting this tomorrow, and translating the instructions. If it works well, I'll post back and hopefully get it added to the first post.

Theres a couple more things to report. I'll post back later.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Speed is excellent. I'm getting a solid >90Mb, and usually ~10Mb upload. Happy with that.

Not entirely happy with this Thomson modem though! No bridge mode. DMZ doesn't work properly. VERY limited number of Port Forwarding rules (which pisses me off seeing as I can't set it to Gateway mode either). Nigh-on impossible to reset (loops, doesn't reset until the fourth or fifth time I attempt it). Disabling the DHCP on the modem caused it to totally reboot for me.... twice. Very strange.

I found a workaround as a bridge mode. I'll be attempting this tomorrow, and translating the instructions. If it works well, I'll post back and hopefully get it added to the first post.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Please do, Looking forward to getting the 100Mb line at the end of the month. Not looking forward to using the router/modem!!

Long live DD-WRT!!:D:D:D:D

Please do, Looking forward to getting the 100Mb line at the end of the month. Not looking forward to using the router/modem!!

Long live DD-WRT!!:D:D:D:D

Certainly sir! I'll post back tomorrow again, and PM you too.
    What modem are you installing DD-WRT on, as a matter of interest?

What modem are you installing DD-WRT on, as a matter of interest?

Cheers man, Appreciate it.

I already have DD-WRT on a buffalo Infiniti G300n router.

I going to upgrade that to a better one as i would prefer to have at least 1Gb lan connections.

I will probably use my current router as a VPN only access!!

Cheers man, Appreciate it.

I already have DD-WRT on a buffalo Infiniti G300n router.

I going to upgrade that to a better one as i would prefer to have at least 1Gb lan connections.

I will probably use my current router as a VPN only access!!

Not a bother.
    Aye, good idea. I have gigabit lan on my gorgeous TP-Link router... I'd find it difficult to go back to 10/100. Its brilliant for sharing and streaming.
    I'd highly recommend the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND dude, very cheap and very reliable. I'm thinking of buying another of them, and installing DD-WRT on one, and Open WRT on another, for testing.

Not a bother.
    Aye, good idea. I have gigabit lan on my gorgeous TP-Link router... I'd find it difficult to go back to 10/100. Its brilliant for sharing and streaming.
    I'd highly recommend the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND dude, very cheap and very reliable. I'm thinking of buying another of them, and installing DD-WRT on one, and Open WRT on another, for testing.

Very interested in getting the TP-Link, Looks like a very capable router, May have to pick one up.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Cheers,
    Mick.
    Anyone else having these problems with the new router?

I currently bypass the upc router by putting my own router into dmz mode on it.

I've dd-wrt on a Netgear WNDR3700 and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND.
    I'm only using the TP-Link as a network switch now though :) but It's great value when you put dd-wrt onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Roast I will be interested to hear if you actually had to pay the 80 quid installation charge when you get your bill as I am still waiting for them to charge me!

Are they still charging 80 euro a month for new customers or is everyone getting the 65 euro per month charge now? thanks

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Roast I will be interested to hear if you actually had to pay the 80 quid installation charge when you get your bill as I am still waiting for them to charge me!

Are they still charging 80 euro a month for new customers or is everyone getting the 65 euro per month charge now? thanks

I'll certainly let you know. I think I may be waived the charge anyway. Was on the phone to them today about the thomson modem, which I want to return and replace with my own DOCSIS3 modem, so I don't know yet.

I was quoted the 80€ charge. For anyone who wasn't previously on the 100mb package, I believe that the prices will be changing on the 9th of may.

• Advertisement

This should clear up some info for you. At the very least, its for new users to the 100mb service who need some help with this hunk of $h!t Thomson that UPC are sending out...

This guide will help you set up your own Router with the Thomson modem.
    As the Thomson modem does not have a bridge/gateway mode option (at least, not in this current firmware) usually you would have to stick with using the Thomson as a router too.

Another advantage of doing this is the potential to add more port forwarding rules, as the Thomson only has a limited number of slots to do so.(This is dependent on the router you choose to set up)

The router I chose to set up was a TP-LINK TLWR1043ND.

Here we go...
    1 - Connect your PC directly to the router you wish to set up with an Ethernet cable. To avoid any issues when setting it up, assign a static IP to that machine in the range of the router, but out of the DHCP pool that the router provides. For example, my routers IP was 192.168.1.1, and it leased a pool between 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.199. So, I set my computer as 192.168.1.2, which is out of the DHCP pool, but still allows connection. This will avoid any possible/potential DHCP conflicts. (You might get away with not setting a static IP, but do it nonetheless if problems occur)

2- If you've changed your routers IP or your PC's IP in the first step, ensure you can still log in to your router via a browser. If it doesnt work, restart both the PC and the router.

3- Assign a static WAN IP to the router. This IP must be in the range of the Thomson, but OUTSIDE the range of the Thomsons DHCP pool, which by default is 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254.
    I chose 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

4- Now, enter the Thomson's config (if you're behind your own router, you can access it through 192.168.100.1) and go to "Advanced" and then "DMZ host". Change the IP on this screen to the WAN IP that you have assigned for your own router. In my case, it is 192.168.0.2, as mentioned in step 3.

5- Now to change around your settings on the Thomson. There is no need to disable DHCP on the thomson, so you can still use more devices connected directly to the Thomson (but any port forwarding rules set to those devices would be managed by your own router). I recommend to disable "IP Flood Detection", as this can cause problems with Port forwarding, and more commonly, Torrenting. Leave the Firewall on, I havent tested that yet. You can also choose whether to leave the WiFi on the Thomson on or off, depending on whether you need more access points in your house. I left mine on.

And thats it. Your new router should work perfectly. While you're at it, visit http://dd-wrt.com and install that if your router supports it. An excellent piece of firmware, I must say.

I also did use some information from chelloo.com, so thanks goes to "jtech" on that forum for his work. Credit me and him if you post this elsewhere.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Advertisement