Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Got the 100MB on the 16th and the next bill is online now with no install charge added to it. Will it be there next month?

80euro charge for someone to plug in a router and call a number to get it activated is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Got the 100MB on the 16th and the next bill is online now with no install charge added to it. Will it be there next month?

80euro charge for someone to plug in a router and call a number to get it activated is a joke.

Hello mate, I have had the 100mb line for the past 3 months and they still have not added the 80euro connection charge. My next door neighbour got it a week after me and he says they have not charged him either. Fingers crossed.

Just to add, the technician who came to install my router had not got a clue what he was up to, I had to tell him the password to actually access the router

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Hello mate, I have had the 100mb line for the past 3 months and they still have not added the 80euro connection charge. My next door neighbour got it a week after me and he says they have not charged him either. Fingers crossed.
    Indeed :D
    Just to add, the technician who came to install my router had not got a clue what he was up to, I had to tell him the password to actually access the router
    I had two lads to plug in a router :rolleyes: and they arrived without the router.
    Neither of them could tell me what upload I should be getting.

Indeed :D

I had two lads to plug in a router :rolleyes: and they arrived without the router.
    Neither of them could tell me what upload I should be getting.

Out of curiosity, what upload speeds are you getting? I seem to be getting between 8 and 9mb! I think its the 9th of May when its being upgraded to 10mb

Out of curiosity, what upload speeds are you getting? I seem to be getting between 8 and 9mb! I think its the 9th of May when its being upgraded to 10mb
    7 or 8 last I checked. That was the main reason for me upgrading. I host a few server apps that need the extra upload

1269759608.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

is it unlimited downloading?it is in my arse.upc are wonderful false advertisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

7 or 8 last I checked. That was the main reason for me upgrading. I host a few server apps that need the extra upload

1269759608.png

I love that at the bottom right, 'Faster than 99%' of IE' Really goes to show what UPC are really providing in terms off speed for Ireland.

I know this just stands for Speedtest.net results, But still its pretty fantastic to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

i herd there's some new speeds/prices coming in may.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    i herd there's some new speeds/prices coming in may.

Yeah thats the rumor, Where did you here it from.

May 9th seems to be the date everyone is getting on the 100mb/10mb for €65. I'm hoping to have it installed in the next week or two, Once they are done with the upgrades in my area(Should be any day now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Got a bill today. Didn't get charged the 80€ installation fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Got 100Mb (upgrade from 30Mb) installed two weeks ago. Download is between 92Mb and 95Mb :D, but upload is always a max of 3.5Mb - should be 7Mb :mad:

UPC sent out another engineer yesterday and he said that's the best they can do in my area. I live in Ballintyre, Ballinteer, Dublin 16. It is a large development built 6 years ago with all new NTL kerb boxes and underground cables.... Disappointing. I guess any upload increase to 10Mb won't apply to me :confused:

Thor wrote: »
    Yeah thats the rumor, Where did you here it from.

May 9th seems to be the date everyone is getting on the 100mb/10mb for €65. I'm hoping to have it installed in the next week or two, Once they are done with the upgrades in my area(Should be any day now).

herd it on the internets.[this is code for i don't want to say]
    50mbit, no more analogue charge. 9th may.
    i trust my sauces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

A question for those on the 100mb package, how long would it take to upload a 400mb file? TIA

DonJose wrote: »
    A question for those on the 100mb package, how long would it take to upload a 400mb file? TIA

With the upload speed being upgraded to 10mb, Assuming you get full speed, Around 6.6 minutes. Give or take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

DonJose wrote: »

I uploaded a 350MB file last night, only took around 3-4 minutes for me. Didn't time it, but it is quite fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

herd it on the internets.[this is code for i don't want to say]
    50mbit, no more analogue charge. 9th may.
    i trust my sauces.

Analogue charge? Whats that? I am very suprised they have not started dropping hints....

"Standalone charge" - the analogue signal UPC can't stop so they charge you for it.
    It's currently €7.75 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Yup 50mb broadband should be coming soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone used their thomson router with 2 or more xbox 360s online at the same time? can you get the NAT open for both? its impossible to play with 2 360's on the EPCPOS2425 online.

Im running two xboxs fine with the Thompson. I dont even have them in DMZ mode and it still shows as NAT type open. No issues with party chat, or someone not being able to invite me, or me invite them to a game etc.

Unlike previous routeres where I did have to use DMZ mode or port forward rules.

I will say im not very happy about 802.11N on it though having to reconnect alot and speed is better on other N routers I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

pugleon wrote: »
    Im running two xboxs fine with the Thompson. I dont even have them in DMZ mode and it still shows as NAT type open. No issues with party chat, or someone not being able to invite me, or me invite them to a game etc.

Unlike previous routeres where I did have to use DMZ mode or port forward rules.

I will say im not very happy about 802.11N on it though having to reconnect alot and speed is better on other N routers I have
    sounds good. tbh, i think im going to invest in a dual band router and just use the Thomson as the modem. anyone any luck with that? that way i really should get N speeds 24/7 regardless of whats on the network.

• Advertisement

Anyway, an update on my experience with the 100mb connection:

Everything had been excellent up until 4 days ago (see my previous posts heaping praise on UPC) but I ran a test on Monday for the speed and I had obviously been downgraded to my 30mb connection.

I spent 36 minutes on hold before I finally got through to tech support, he told me I had used 800gb in 30 days! THERE IS NO WAY I could have used so much, I am not a heavy user at all!

I am really annoyed that I now have to pay 80 euro per month (soon to be 65) for a crappy 30mb connection. He gave me an email to the aup department and told to argue it with them!

I am very disappointed with this!

I spent 36 minutes on hold before I finally got through to tech support, he told me I had used 800gb in 30 days! THERE IS NO WAY I could have used so much, I am not a heavy user at all!

Jebus crispy.
    Is your wifi secured?

Jebus crispy.
    Is your wifi secured?

Yea I have to enter a key to access it... I hope its secured... Bloody UPC!

Looking forward to hearing back from the aup! I am glad they didn't charge me the connection fee now the sods!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yea I have to enter a key to access it... I hope its secured... Bloody UPC!

That doesn't necessary mean your wifi is secure. If it is using wep security, then it is trivial to crack. Make sure you are using wpa security and change the password to a long series of alphanumeric characters (not words).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Jebus crispy.
    Is your wifi secured?

Thinking exactly the same thing... Have you changed anything since its been installed security wise or is it straight out of the box???

Might be worth looking in to you could be getting cloned!

bk wrote: »
    That doesn't necessary mean your wifi is secure. If it is using wep security, then it is trivial to crack. Make sure you are using wpa security and change the password to a long series of alphanumeric characters (not words).

Yea its says wpa on the router beside the actual key! I bloody hope them dopes next door have not figured out a way to crack it! Polish videos of an adult nature would probably be showing up on the UPC network monitoring system...

In HD...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yea its says wpa on the router beside the actual key! I bloody hope them dopes next door have not figured out a way to crack it! Polish videos of an adult nature would probably be showing up on the UPC network monitoring system...

LOL

Have your neighbours ever been in your house? They might have read the key off your router. Change the passkey on your router.

Also, on the charge.
    Tell UPC that they need to warn you 3 times before charging your extra.
    It's law, and the FUP is not above the law.

they will argue your balls off, but keep at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Quick question for all those on the Thomson router:

How many people are using their own routers in bridge mode?
    is there any noticeable increase in ping times or decrease in speed?
    im currently looking at a Cisco-Linksys WRT610N.
    would it be best to disable most/all of the features of the thomson?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think (I could be wrong( Someone else commented that UPC seems to be getting different download stats than those monitoring themselves with their own software.

Advertisement